Stephen Bailey to talk SU Football on Packer & Durham next | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Stephen Bailey to talk SU Football on Packer & Durham next

It’s easy to focus on the Oline. They have been mediocre during DBs ten year. Dungey made them look better than they were. I feel TD made them look worse then they may have been. (Stepping out of bounds before the line of scrimmage for a sack.
Never felt cavenaugh was the right fit. Schmidt did more with less at SDSU. Thinking he could make improvements but limited time.
Bergeron is solid. Dakota Davis is good. After that some ? marks. Vet to me is not the answer at center. Maybe ulloa. Servaise was serviceable at center, T was a disaster. Continue to see the play where he let the guy run right by and destroy Morgan for the season. Bleech could be good but no one knows how he will come back from injury. Tinsdale got a lot of game reps last year but still not sold. Pat Davis adds some depth but not a starter. Fromney is a vey strong and big guy so may step up if he is health. Limited game reps. Red is another question mark been in the program but was injured and not sure of his development under cavenaugh. The freshman and redshirt freshman I would not count on. Bradford may be a surprise. Not sure petry will add anything unless he is added significant weight and strength.
So over all we have two good starters. Two possible players if they are healthy in bleech and servaise. One more starter either at center or RT tackle. If others are healthy we have depth with tinsdale, p. Davis, red, Bradford, ulloa. Almost a second unit.
no one will really know anything until the first game. I expect the lack of information to continue through camp.
If the line does not improve it will be imperative that we have a dual threat qb that can use his legs to keep the defense honest.
At this point im keeping expectations low.

I'm not arguing with you, but we have around 20 OL on the roster, and look like we have about 9 or 10 who have starting experience. I know we lost the Texas transfer, but he never really played, right? So we have no idea if he was truly any good.

If we can't fashion a functional O line out of that, with a coach who is much younger, and proven at SD State, hardly a blue chip program, then I don't know what to think.

Marrone's .500 record was an amazing feat considering the abyss the program was in when he took it over after the Grob catastrophe. Moreover, the SU football facilities were cringeworthy. Marrone begged and pleaded for an IPF and other related upgrades in order to compete and was basically told "someday" even though that "someday" should have been yesterday and already well past a day late and a dollar short. Such an epic failure of the prior respective/accountable SU powers that be.

IMO, what Marrone accomplished during his tenure, based on the relative totality of SU's football program, was more equivalent to being .750 than the actual .500. If Marrone was here today, with all of the money SU has dumped into the program as a result of the ACC inclusion/winfall (which Dino has had the luxury/full benefit of to date), there's no doubt in my mind we'd be consistently bowling.

At this point, IMO, until Dino consistently walks the walk instead of consistently talking the talk, that 10 win season will remain a complete outlier.
Marrone had all the chips falling in place the recruits were starting to line up it was a perfect example of your record doing the talking… if marrone stays and shores up that class and is around long enough atleast to see doc hollywood gone, then we are talking about a completely different program. He wouldn’t even have to b here now but long enough to have the foundation set… he had the blocks finally set in stone then drove a tractor through it… I’m really really rooting for dino I’m so sick of the revolving door this program needs stability. I’m fine with a Kansas state esque dynasty that’s consistently good and sometimes great..

Last edited:
I love Dino's personality, and hope he can turn things round this year, pull out 6+ wins, and get us to be consistently good and occasionally great for years to come. However, I understand going from 1 win to 6 is a tall task.

With that being, said if your JW, what are you doing right now? Do you have a highly confidential search committee who is gathering names? Knowing that if this ship goes down in flames early in the season you'll need to move fast to salvage a recruiting class. Or do you let Dino play it out the entire year even if you know he isn't going to be the guy at the end?
He has a list

Syracuse VA Tech from 1998 is on ACC Network right now. I really miss being relevant.
Despite dinner reservations, I had to watch the end of that. I had totally forgotten about the pick McNabb threw on the 2-point conversion try, and how that played out. Man, I just loved seeing the dome packed, loud and rocking again.

I would love him coming here but I don’t think he will cause of Dino. I truly would love to see wildhacks choices after Dino though. As I said before he has 6 wins or gone and also su alumni are not in his favor anymore. It’s getting bad I heard.
I guess I would have 2 questions:

1) Is it really getting bad between coach and alumni, or is it really just a rumor?

2) If it's getting tenuous, what do the alumni want? Do alumni feel more entitled than they should, or is Dino just a jerk? The truth is probably somewhere inbetween

If alumni want open access all the time, to just show up when they want to, hang out, talk to current players, attend practices, and just generally be around the program whenever they want, then that's just not reasonable

We have a coach who is already responsible for over 100 current players and for trying to get the program on the right track. It's not fair for alumni to just think they should be accommodated any time they want to be.

If I were in charge, I would not run an organization like that and it would be unreasonable to ask anyone to have such an open door policy. If you want to have an open door policy for your biological children, that's one thing ...but for hundreds of other former players, that's a completely different story.

And I don't think any of us would want Dino under the constant gun of playing host to former players when there's other business that has to be attended to. To me, that's like having close cousins show up at my house any time they want, and expect me to spread out the table for them and use my couch and TV anytime they feel like it. Just not happening.

Again, I say all this not knowing the circumstances. But if this is some of what is happening, then I understand Dino's side of the story

1) Is it really getting bad between coach and alumni, or is it really just a rumor?

2) If it's getting tenuous, what do the alumni want? Do alumni feel more entitled than they should, or is Dino just a jerk? The truth is probably somewhere inbetween

If alumni want open access all the time, to just show up when they want to, hang out, talk to current players, attend practices, and just generally be around the program whenever they want, then that's just not reasonable

We have a coach who is already responsible for over 100 current players and for trying to get the program on the right track. It's not fair for alumni to just think they should be accommodated any time they want to be.

If I were in charge, I would not run an organization like that and it would be unreasonable to ask anyone to have such an open door policy. If you want to have an open door policy for your biological children, that's one thing ...but for hundreds of other former players, that's a completely different story.

And I don't think any of us would want Dino under the constant gun of playing host to former players when there's other business that has to be attended to. To me, that's like having close cousins show up at my house any time they want, and expect me to spread out the table for them and use my couch and TV anytime they feel like it. Just not happening.

Again, I say all this not knowing the circumstances. But if this is some of what is happening, then I understand Dino's side of the story
They dont want open access but im sure they do want to feel welcome. Its noDit like ex players are showing up everyday . Dino could take a lesson from JB on this.

We tend to think of all ex-players fondly, when the reality is probably way more mixed. I’d want to vet and examine all interactions with alumni - which sounds like a lot of work.

I pm u

It's not up to me but I think 6 wins is setting the bar too low for his 6th season.

He's had plenty of time to get the right players and coaches for his system.

Yeah, but he won 1 game last year.

So, there's that reality, too.

That shouldn't give him a pass on year 6 expectations.

No, it doesn't. But like I've said several times now, the Athletic Dept. can't afford to fire him after next season because of his current buyout and remaining time on his contract. Especially after COVID really hurt their finances last year.

So unless he wins 4 or fewer, I think he'll be back - unless some rich booster ponies up money to pay it off, and help finance the paycheck of the new coach.

No, it doesn't. But like I've said several times now, the Athletic Dept. can't afford to fire him after next season because of his current buyout and remaining time on his contract. Especially after COVID really hurt their finances last year.

So unless he wins 4 or fewer, I think he'll be back - unless some rich booster ponies up money to pay it off, and help finance the paycheck of the new coach.

What is his buy out amount?

If he fails this year I think you also need to consider the monetary value lost to the SU football brand by letting the program decline even further vs the buy out cost.

What is his buy out amount?

If he fails this year I think you also need to consider the monetary value lost to the SU football brand by letting the program decline even further vs the buy out cost.
He wont be retained as it would kill recruiting if he is a lame duck coach

He wont be retained as it would kill recruiting if he is a lame duck coach
He is already killing recruiting based on our #66 ranking so far. Local NE rivals Rutgers at 89, BC at 87 and Cuse at 84 pts per recruit and that could be lowest in P5.

Attachments

• 6A216FF0-7C32-4BDC-B823-AFC547D80BC6.jpeg
    6A216FF0-7C32-4BDC-B823-AFC547D80BC6.jpeg
    154.8 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:

There are no issues with Dino and former players at this point but things are stirring up with losing and being last in almost every football metric in the ACC. Why can’t we compete on a level like BC where they go bowling almost every year with 6 - 7 wins.

We have not been able to compete because we have been caught in a vicious cycle the last 20 years. You need wins to get recruits, and you need recruits to get wins.

Recruits don't come here for our warm weather, our sprawling metropolis next door, or our pro stadium. Other programs can recruit like that even in down years and stave off prolonged slides

If we can pull off some .500-.600 seasons back to back then recruiting might pick up. But we have to work with what we have. I fully believe we can win with our roster. But we have to show it

at this point we dont have any excuses he needs to be top 50
I need to know more

I think a portion of recruiting is on the staff and HC and a portion is out of their control.

There are no issues with Dino and former players at this point but things are stirring up with losing and being last in almost every football metric in the ACC. Why can’t we compete on a level like BC where they go bowling almost every year with 6 - 7 wins.
We need to schedule more like them, that’s like 50% of the issue

If he gets 4 wins and the team looks similar to the ones of his first two seasons then I'd bet he gets another year. But if it looks like the inept teams of the past two it would be hard to imagine, especially with a cupcake schedule like this years, you have to be competent on both sides of the ball and at least be competitive and in semi close games.

If he gets 4 wins and the team looks similar to the ones of his first two seasons then I'd bet he gets another year. But if it looks like the inept teams of the past two it would be hard to imagine, especially with a cupcake schedule like this years, you have to be competent on both sides of the ball and at least be competitive and in semi close games.

Spot on. That's how I see this year. If they are not freaking COMPETENT, then it's time to go.

Wait isn’t that why Syracuse keeps Adam Weitsman for????

I’m only kidding!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom