Stephen Bailey to talk SU Football on Packer & Durham next | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Stephen Bailey to talk SU Football on Packer & Durham next

We have our entire starting DL back as 5th year seniors, , good young LB's, A QB returning who was been on campus 4 years and has significant starting experience, as well as our entire OL returning with significant experience (including a 5th year senior, plus adding Bleich to the mix). We have a very reasonable schedule with Ohio, Albany, Liberty and Rutgers as our OOC (3 of those at home). If we're not going to be pretty decent this year, would be hard to be optimistic about the future.

Which is exactly why so many of on here say it’s 6 wins or bust this season.

If Dino can’t get to a bowl and 6 win this season, as much as I like him as a human, he’s just not the coach for us

How tough of a schedule did we play in years 1-3, historically? Have you checked that vs Marrone’s .500?

I’ve done the homework.

Marrone's .500 record was an amazing feat considering the abyss the program was in when he took it over after the Grob catastrophe. Moreover, the SU football facilities were cringeworthy. Marrone begged and pleaded for an IPF and other related upgrades in order to compete and was basically told "someday" even though that "someday" should have been yesterday and already well past a day late and a dollar short. Such an epic failure of the prior respective/accountable SU powers that be.

IMO, what Marrone accomplished during his tenure, based on the relative totality of SU's football program, was more equivalent to being .750 than the actual .500. If Marrone was here today, with all of the money SU has dumped into the program as a result of the ACC inclusion/winfall (which Dino has had the luxury/full benefit of to date), there's no doubt in my mind we'd be consistently bowling.

At this point, IMO, until Dino consistently walks the walk instead of consistently talking the talk, that 10 win season will remain a complete outlier.

Lewis was the O and he also had a great way with the guys and with recruits. Im not sure if JW would give him a shot as that might be odd at best because of Dino but if he did i think that he would thrive at Syracuse
I would love him coming here but I don’t think he will cause of Dino. I truly would love to see wildhacks choices after Dino though. As I said before he has 6 wins or gone and also su alumni are not in his favor anymore. It’s getting bad I heard.

I would love him coming here but I don’t think he will cause of Dino. I truly would love to see wildhacks choices after Dino though. As I said before he has 6 wins or gone and also su alumni are not in his favor anymore. It’s getting bad I heard.
I have to see Lewis sustain what he's doing before I jump on him. His defenses hasnt been good. He hasnt beaten a P5 team yet. He actually had poor showings against them so far.

MAC teams will make adjustments and I will like to see how he counters. Dino never got a chance to experience that in the MAC and maybe that's why he has struggled in the ACC. Whoever is the next coach he needs to be a developer. A young, flashy energetic coach can only sell a vision so much to the big prospects. You have to show evidence that you can win and send guys to the league. The HC need to hire guys that can coach and maximize the players they have. Be fundamentally sound and have a good culture of hard work and discipline. Have to get players to out perform their rankings. Once you do that it will get easier because your recruiting will improve and you wont have to live and die on your ability to develop. Just my opinion.

I agree with you on the W/L record thing but how confident are you we get to 6 wins this year or next?
I think this year 6 would be a fantastic result, honestly. If we see 5-6 in 2021, that means our OC/DC changes might have some momentum and then 2022 is looking better.

Marrone's .500 record was an amazing feat considering the abyss the program was in when he took it over after the Grob catastrophe. Moreover, the SU football facilities were cringeworthy. Marrone begged and pleaded for an IPF and other related upgrades in order to compete and was basically told "someday" even though that "someday" should have been yesterday and already well past a day late and a dollar short. Such an epic failure of the prior respective/accountable SU powers that be.

IMO, what Marrone accomplished during his tenure, based on the relative totality of SU's football program, was more equivalent to being .750 than the actual .500. If Marrone was here today, with all of the money SU has dumped into the program as a result of the ACC inclusion/winfall (which Dino has had the luxury/full benefit of to date), there's no doubt in my mind we'd be consistently bowling.

At this point, IMO, until Dino consistently walks the walk instead of consistently talking the talk, that 10 win season will remain a complete outlier.
Had the schedule strength been on par with *any* other 4 year span, I’d agree. Shafer didn’t exactly leave us in great straights either.

Marrone didn’t recruit Nassib, Dino didn’t recruit Dungey. But they were both left with very good young QBs.

Many of the changes, outside of the IPF, were added in the Dino era and the reflected a catching up to where many ACC programs already were. And - credit to Dino for asking and for Wildhack stepping up. Agreed the Marrone’s AD was way less agreeable and competent.

I think Marrone is the better HC. What I said was that it’s way closer than many want to give credit for.

(You could call 2012 an outlier for Doug, pretty easily too.)

Which is exactly why so many of on here say it’s 6 wins or bust this season.

If Dino can’t get to a bowl and 6 win this season, as much as I like him as a human, he’s just not the coach for us
What if the wins were BC*, Clemson*, PITT, Ohio, Albany

*Ranked

it wasn’t an epic failure of the powers that be. It was a lack of donors for an IPF.

I have to see Lewis sustain what he's doing before I jump on him. His defenses hasnt been good. He hasnt beaten a P5 team yet. He actually had poor showings against them so far.

MAC teams will make adjustments and I will like to see how he counters. Dino never got a chance to experience that in the MAC and maybe that's why he has struggled in the ACC. Whoever is the next coach he needs to be a developer. A young, flashy energetic coach can only sell a vision so much to the big prospects. You have to show evidence that you can win and send guys to the league. The HC need to hire guys that can coach and maximize the players they have. Be fundamentally sound and have a good culture of hard work and discipline. Have to get players to out perform their rankings. Once you do that it will get easier because your recruiting will improve and you wont have to live and die on your ability to develop. Just my opinion.
who do u personally think John has on speed dial if things stay south with Dino. I really never knew how bad Gross killed the whole Marrone thing. I wouldn’t mind him back but u stated a young energetic guy and I agree but who? I have a hard time on the board when people say we can’t do or be better then we are now. Drives me nuts. We can do top 10 to 20 just like we did before. we just gotta get a guy.

it wasn’t an epic failure of the powers that be. It was a lack of donors for an IPF.
It was a rift between Marrone and Gross. It’s 90 percent on Gross and his big ego.

who do u personally think John has on speed dial if things stay south with Dino. I really never knew how bad Gross killed the whole Marrone thing. I wouldn’t mind him back but u stated a young energetic guy and I agree but who? I have a hard time on the board when people say we can’t do or be better then we are now. Drives me nuts. We can do top 10 to 20 just like we did before. we just gotta get a guy.
I’m not sure who he has in mind but I’m sure he has a list. And I agree. We absolutely can get back to what we use to be. it just takes the right vision and right approach.

Last edited:
Assuming the worst… (and I do believe we’ll have success this year.)

Joe Moorhead… Billy Napier (band aid because he’ll be movin’ on up… Jamey Chadwell…

They’re all in their 40’s and legit.

Then Sean Lewis, Will Healy and Jason Candle are in their 30’s / early 40’s…

I think all of these candidates are realistic and intriguing.

Joe Moorhead… Billy Napier (band aid because he’ll be movin’ on up… Jamey Chadwell…

Sounds about right

I think people like to look at the pasqualoni era as prehistoric but it’s only 25 years ago that he was in there gator bowl w mcnabb. I think we should acknowledge that Paul had a blue print for success at Syracuse and a staff that worked hard to put the team in position for success.

the key to me is Dino and what he’s learned and how he alters the approach now that he’s 60. It’s a young mans game doing a rebuild. Paul just had to keep the Mac train running and was ultimately not a rebuilder type w the resources he had.

I feel like Dino is the guy but he needs help w smart assistants and hitting on some key guys. Mac and P had incredible assistants who moved on to greater pastures.

this year is key and arguably the Ohio game is prob the most important in the Dino era. We need to think 2-0 start and to get momentum towards a bowl season. We don’t have the depth to play catch-up in nov

So, you don't see any causation? My understanding was that even towards the later stages of the P era, our facilities were somewhat lacking/had fallen behind the eight ball so to speak. And, that fact clearly played a role in some quality recruits going elsewhere and the ensuing decline.

The lack of foresight, leadership, etc. by the powers that be, IMO, was indeed a contributing factor to the stagnant program SU evolved into. Could anyone blame anyone other than the one's that were in charge for there being "a lack of donors" after the administration allowed the program to get to the state it was in at the time of Marrone's pleading? The failure/lack of proactive leadership vs. reactive by the past administration(s) still rears its effects today.

I love Dino's personality, and hope he can turn things round this year, pull out 6+ wins, and get us to be consistently good and occasionally great for years to come. However, I understand going from 1 win to 6 is a tall task.

With that being, said if your JW, what are you doing right now? Do you have a highly confidential search committee who is gathering names? Knowing that if this ship goes down in flames early in the season you'll need to move fast to salvage a recruiting class. Or do you let Dino play it out the entire year even if you know he isn't going to be the guy at the end?

I believe SU gets to a bowl this year. And if HCDFB get get to another one next year, I believe he will be the guy that gets us back to form. We need some breaks and some luck but I have a great deal of faith that he is the coach we need.

Honestly, if we are going to be making another change, we need to do something different. My strategy would be to find the best recruiter out there. Maybe he's not the X & O savant that some would hope for. But give that HC the money to go get those guys as OC/DC. We have seen for 20 years what poor recruiting can do for a program. P lost it at the end, GRob was terrible, Marrone was blah, Shafer was blah, Dino is blah. Let's get a dogged recruiter that can get some dudes in the Dome.

Some names that fit this category: Kerry Coombs (OSU), Jeff Banks (Texas), Jay Bateman (UNC), Charles Huff (Marshall), Marcus Freeman (ND), Josh Gattis (Mich)

If we go the classic HC route. I'd expect these names: Chadwell (CCU), McElwain (CMU), Moorhead (Oregon), Candle (Toledo), Clark (App St) and I am sure some alums will push for Addazio again...

Honestly, if we are going to be making another change, we need to do something different. My strategy would be to find the best recruiter out there. Maybe he's not the X & O savant that some would hope for. But give that HC the money to go get those guys as OC/DC. We have seen for 20 years what poor recruiting can do for a program. P lost it at the end, GRob was terrible, Marrone was blah, Shafer was blah, Dino is blah. Let's get a dogged recruiter that can get some dudes in the Dome.

Some names that fit this category: Kerry Coombs (OSU), Jeff Banks (Texas), Jay Bateman (UNC), Charles Huff (Marshall), Marcus Freeman (ND), Josh Gattis (Mich)

If we go the classic HC route. I'd expect these names: Chadwell (CCU), McElwain (CMU), Moorhead (Oregon), Candle (Toledo), Clark (App St) and I am sure some alums will push for Addazio again...
The one thing most of those “great” recruiters have in common is they are located in hot recruiting areas. Syracuse will NEVER have that.

Good session. I think that Dino turns it around this year. I have written this before but it a bowl or gone unless the loses are well played games. If we win 5 and play well he will return. If we win 5 and have blow outs he should be fired. Obviously injuries are a pass but other than that he has a senior heavy team and needs to win.

I have said before, and I still think it's true: due to his buy out situation, I think he would have to win 4 or fewer to get fired.

That doesn't mean I think 4 is acceptable; it doesn't mean I think that should be the goal. The goal MUST be 6 wins and a bowl.

But if he wins 4 games or fewer again, what is the point in keeping him on? Especially if we are generally uncompetitive in the ACC, only winning a game, or maybe even none again.

You have to bite the bullet at that point.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom