Stephen Bailey to talk SU Football on Packer & Durham next | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Stephen Bailey to talk SU Football on Packer & Durham next

My only contribution is that Dino is not standing pat. He's trying to make changes. Just look at the coaches we've brought in. Gilbert, White, West, Schmidt, Achuff, Samuel. That's like 50% new staff in two seasons. I trust him because he's making the moves to shift things and get back to where he needs to be.

His willingness to bring in new coaches and change things up is the one thing that’s saving me at this current moment from completely selling Dino.

If the team looks respectable this year and gets to 6 wins I think he comes completely off of the hot seat

247 lists Kent State as the 10th most difficult offense in college football to plan against.

Another shot to whatever ego may exist on the Hill for orange is the new fast
They ran 83 plays per game, 2cnd in the nation. Exactly what Dino wanted to do in 19...

They prepared for tempo. Whether it was the line, quick reads, receivers not getting open? They had to rethink. An unfortunate over estimation, imo, but its football. It happens. Teams brought the kitchen sink on almost EVERY play, or so it seemed. The soft spot being G/T cohesion which also had the T's missing outside, when they were trying to cover for the G's. Uncertainty. This is less important when tempo is humming. That cohesion wasn't there 'til the last 4 games.

Imma go out on a limb(not really), and say they learned a lot in 2019, and worked to rectify EITHER scenario. I expect a few more wins than 2019.

Lewis was the O and he also had a great way with the guys and with recruits. Im not sure if JW would give him a shot as that might be odd at best because of Dino but if he did i think that he would thrive at Syracuse

I’m starting to hope we hire him, if only to see how quickly you will turn on him.

10 wins and a bowl victory is not losing.
1 out of 5. 20%

10 wins is the out lier here. He has been consistently mediocre to bad not consistently good.

I think Dino has a ton of charisma and he's a likeable public person BUT he has not shown that he can win consistently at SU.

If he can't put it together this year then he should be gone. 4 out of 5 years the starting qb has not finished the season beginning with season 1 and he hasn't developed any qb depth. He's paid around 3 million a year and it's time to put up the numbers or be gone.

5 to 6 wins is crap and should not reason to keep him.

The basketball team dealt with more covid problems than football and managed to put together a winning season. Enough with the excuses.

I’m starting to hope we hire him, if only to see how quickly you will turn on him.
Ill give him as long as Dino has had if that's ok with you.

it’s:

1. P

2. Marrone
3. Dino

4. Shafer
5. Robinson

Dino and Marrone are closer on this list than many who just look at win % would like to admit. I don’t deny that he needs a good season this year. But those using W/L as the sole barometer are not making a convincing case

His willingness to bring in new coaches and change things up is the one thing that’s saving me at this current moment from completely selling Dino.

If the team looks respectable this year and gets to 6 wins I think he comes completely off of the hot seat

It's not up to me but I think 6 wins is setting the bar too low for his 6th season.

He's had plenty of time to get the right players and coaches for his system.

it’s:

1. P

2. Marrone
3. Dino

4. Shafer
5. Robinson

Dino and Marrone are closer on this list than many who just look at win % would like to admit. I don’t deny that he needs a good season this year. But those using W/L as the sole barometer are not making a convincing case

Then perhaps they shouldn't keep score...

4 of 5 losing seasons just might be somewhat of an indicator.

It's not up to me but I think 6 wins is setting the bar too low for his 6th season.

I don’t know how we asses 2020. He’s had 1 truly bad year (2019). All new coordinators -> pandemic = don’t know what we got.

First 3 years showed clear progression.

Then perhaps they shouldn't keep score...

4 of 5 losing seasons just might be somewhat of an indicator.
How tough of a schedule did we play in years 1-3, historically? Have you checked that vs Marrone’s .500?

I’ve done the homework.

Well then you might as well fire him now. Historically it is very rare to go from 1 win to 7+ wins in one year. Hey I hope we get 10 wins...but to me 5-6 wins is tough to do in one year but more realistic. I just hope he can squeak out 6 in the regular season.

How tough of a schedule did we play in years 1-3, historically? Have you checked that vs Marrone’s .500?

I’ve done the homework.

Marone won against the schedule in front of him. Dino's paid to coach in the ACC.

Marone figured out the issues a qb by bringing Paulus in. Dino has had 4 out of 5 years without a serviceable back up qb. Dungey went down in year 1 and qb depth should have been fixed by year 2, 3 or 4.

I don't care who the coach is I'm just tired of watching us be the bottom of the conference.

Well then you might as well fire him now. Historically it is very rare to go from 1 win to 7+ wins in one year. Hey I hope we get 10 wins...but to me 5-6 wins is tough to do in one year but more realistic. I just hope he can squeak out 6 in the regular season.

According to a lot of posters 1 win wasn't Dino's fault it was because of Covid so he should be fine.

I don't think the bar should be lowered just because last year sucked.

I follow football more than I follow b-ball probably as a fan and nothing would make me happier than to have Dino and football improve. However I do not think Dino at this stage has proven to win games. Eric dungey proved to win games. There’s a huge difference. I think they will be better this year but that winning season was the right mix of everything. Every other one has been rough. At least the nachos grande has stayed as a proven winner through all this

6 wins would be a bowl season which would be only the 7th bowl season we've had since 2000. I think that's enough to get Dino to 2022 especially with the amount of talent we would have returning for that season.

I do agree that at this point Dino has had plenty of time and resources to get us to be a bowl team every year going forward, with the potential to be a 9 or 10 win team every two or three years. If SU makes a bowl this year but falls again in 2022, Dino should be let go.

Marone won against the schedule in front of him. Dino's paid to coach in the ACC.

Marone figured out the issues a qb by bringing Paulus in. Dino has had 4 out of 5 years without a serviceable back up qb. Dungey went down in year 1 and qb depth should have been fixed by year 2, 3 or 4.

I don't care who the coach is I'm just tired of watching us be the bottom of the conference.
I find the backup QB argument pretty compelling. That’s on him.

The point on schedules is pretty simple. Year to year the ACC fluctuates more than most fans think. 2016-2017 ACC was really really good. FSU, Louisville, Clemson were all title contenders in our division. 2019 our schedule was much much easier. If you just focus on wins you miss the forest for the trees. A good result vs a top 30 schedule might be 4 wins. A good result vs a top 80 schedule is probably 8-9 wins and a bowl appearance with the same team.

Yea, our resources have increased but we’re still playing catch up. 2019 was unacceptable to fans *and to Dino*… 2020 was a CF of a season where the things he couldn’t control far out paced the things he could.

I think 2021 is a “show us” year. Improvement, everywhere. OC has to show he’s got it. QB moves the ball.

If a change is made, the decision might be made on the number of years left on Dino‘s contract. I doubt SU is going to buy out three years left on a contract. I don’t think they have $10 million hanging around being unspent.

Spot on. Great post. There is no reason that we cant be a bowl team every year. None If we can produce a consistant winning program the region will support the team. They have for the last 60 years. If Dino doesnt win this year there is no reason to stay the course. There a plenty of coaches including one at Kent State that would die for the opportunity to coach SU.

There is 20 years of evidence that we can't be a bowl team every year. SO there is something going on that makes me believe "going to a bowl game every year" for Syracuse isn't easy regardless of who is coaching. Not an easy place to win or sustain success. Until we string 2-3 seasons together as a bowl team regardless of who is coaching I will remain a bit pessimistic that it can be done here consistently in the ACC

There is 20 years of evidence that we can't be a bowl team every year. SO there is something going on that makes me believe "going to a bowl game every year" for Syracuse isn't easy regardless of who is coaching. Not an easy place to win or sustain success. Until we string 2-3 seasons together as a bowl team regardless of who is coaching I will remain a bit pessimistic that it can be done here consistently in the ACC

We need one of the regional competitors to fall apart again. There just aren't enough good players to go around. BC, Pitt, Maryland, West Virginia, Rutgers all recruit as well or better than us. Probably all better at this moment in time.

The Dome is shinier, but it's not as shiny as it was when it was new. And while that 1-10 season last year can be looked at as an anomaly, it doesn't change what it does to people's perceptions of us. Which includes recruits and effective negative recruiters.

I find the backup QB argument pretty compelling. That’s on him.

The point on schedules is pretty simple. Year to year the ACC fluctuates more than most fans think. 2016-2017 ACC was really really good. FSU, Louisville, Clemson were all title contenders in our division. 2019 our schedule was much much easier. If you just focus on wins you miss the forest for the trees. A good result vs a top 30 schedule might be 4 wins. A good result vs a top 80 schedule is probably 8-9 wins and a bowl appearance with the same team.

Yea, our resources have increased but we’re still playing catch up. 2019 was unacceptable to fans *and to Dino*… 2020 was a CF of a season where the things he couldn’t control far out paced the things he could.

I think 2021 is a “show us” year. Improvement, everywhere. OC has to show he’s got it. QB moves the ball.

So far I'm very disappointed with Dino's performance. Like many other fans I had very high expectations for Dino. With his public personality I expected him to be a recruiting machine. I hope he fixes it this year. I'm tired of bad football and no coaching stability for the last 20 years.

So far I'm very disappointed with Dino's performance. Like many other fans I had very high expectations for Dino. With his public personality I expected him to be a recruiting machine. I hope he fixes it this year. I'm tired of bad football and no coaching stability for the last 20 years.
I think for many fans (me included), the reality of the last 20 years has been coming to grips with the post Mac/P era. Things have shifted a lot and things that were in our favor have become less so (NY HS football is not what it was, for just 1 example). A part of that is resetting expectations to a lower bar, while doing the things we need to do to get back to 8 win seasons and competing for the division. This takes nuance and patience.

You’re right that coaching changes causing instability. That’s why a straight W/L diagnosis is a bad way to judge. I think you gotta ask “have I lost confidence in this HC to get us to at least 6 wins a year?” and I’m not there yet.

I think for many fans (me included), the reality of the last 20 years has been coming to grips with the post Mac/P era. Things have shifted a lot and things that were in our favor have become less so (NY HS football is not what it was, for just 1 example). A part of that is resetting expectations to a lower bar, while doing the things we need to do to get back to 8 win seasons and competing for the division. This takes nuance and patience.

You’re right that coaching changes causing instability. That’s why a straight W/L diagnosis is a bad way to judge. I think you gotta ask “have I lost confidence in this HC to get us to at least 6 wins a year?” and I’m not there yet.

I agree with you on the W/L record thing but how confident are you we get to 6 wins this year or next?

I agree with you on the W/L record thing but how confident are you we get to 6 wins this year or next?
We have our entire starting DL back as 5th year seniors, , good young LB's, A QB returning who was been on campus 4 years and has significant starting experience, as well as our entire OL returning with significant experience (including a 5th year senior, plus adding Bleich to the mix). We have a very reasonable schedule with Ohio, Albany, Liberty and Rutgers as our OOC (3 of those at home). If we're not going to be pretty decent this year, would be hard to be optimistic about the future.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom