Steven Clark on decision to stay with Syracuse | Syracusefan.com

Steven Clark on decision to stay with Syracuse

cannot blame him for having such thoughts when the coach you committed to play for lasted only one season. however, as his career continues and hopefully babers brings us back to national prominence, i imagine those feelings will be put in the rear view mirror, as steven astutely acknowledges in the article.

Interesting article. Glad he's staying put. He was one of the ones I worried about initially.

If he has a good first 3 years, I can't see him transferring to a UAB or similar school as he suggests he might.

That was kind of odd to put out there. It also seems like most of the graduate transfers are kids who have redshirted a year and been at a school for four years, not someone that graduates in 3 years.

Reactions: CIL
That was kind of odd to put out there. It also seems like most of the graduate transfers are kids who have redshirted a year and been at a school for four years, not someone that graduates in 3 years.

I was under the impression that he was talking about in addition to this year, So this year, plus the next three years would be four years. He didn't redshirt this tear.

I was under the impression that he was talking about in addition to this year, So this year, plus the next three years would be four years. He didn't redshirt this tear.

You can only play 4 years, period, so no - it would NOT be 3 years beyond this past one here.
IF we wanted to play at UAB (or wherever), he would need to graduate or transfer after his 3rd year of playing here.

You can only play 4 years, period, so no - it would NOT be 3 years beyond this past one here.
IF we wanted to play at UAB (or wherever), he would need to graduate or transfer after his 3rd year of playing here.

Yeah, that is the way I saw it too. More power to him if that is his plan, get that education paid for as much as possible. Smart play

"I’d like to play at Syracuse for three years and then be a a graduate transfer to a place like UAB, where I could work on my degree and maybe play there a year for coach (Bill) Clark and be closer to my family and friends, so they can see me play."

I don't know what to think about this.

"I’d like to play at Syracuse for three years and then be a a graduate transfer to a place like UAB, where I could work on my degree and maybe play there a year for coach (Bill) Clark and be closer to my family and friends, so they can see me play."

Be glad for the kid, that he has a plan, and is a good enough student to pull it off?
Be glad for our program, that we'll have him play for us for 3 years?
Not read too much into anything a Frosh says about what might happen 2-3 years down the road?

Just some suggestions...

Be glad for the kid, that he has a plan, and is a good enough student to pull it off?
Be glad for our program, that we'll have him play for us for 3 years?
Not read too much into anything a Frosh says about what might happen 2-3 years down the road?

Just some suggestions...
Am I the only one who thinks that is an odd plan?

I don't know he is thinking it through. If he is happy here and doing well and especially if the team is doing well, I can't imagine he would transfer to a UAB or similar school for his last year. If he is e.g. not playing a lot here, sure, a transfer might make sense.

Wouldn't begrudge anyone who wanted to transfer after the coaching change. I would wonder how easy it would be to do start PT school and play D1 football though.

There's really no reason to put that information out there. Really odd to see. Glad he's staying, but if he's projecting as a strong prospect for the NFL he's going to transfer to UAB?

It's good to have a plan but that's odd.

It's odd, but it doesn't bother me. Easier to know it, and plan around it, than if he up and left this offseason. By the end of his 3rd year, I'd expect Babers to have this train moving at full speed anyway, with a few DTs ready to go. I don't know how good he'll be, but anyone who stands out at any point seems to leave us after 3 playing years anyway. Thompson being the latest.

My daughter wants to be a therapist, too. As such, most people will train at the graduate level in the state they wish to practice in. I don't know if that is a hard and fast rule or if it is a general practice, regardless, that is what she discovered. My take is that he wishes to practice in Alabama. The three years and graduate from Syracuse is a very aggressive plan but this kid probably can do it. I wish him the best, though I would like all four years in Orange. It may not matter as the NFL could want him, too.

It could just be timing for Clark. UAB starts playing again in 2017 with a strong group of recruits. If he'd really like to play close to home, transferring after graduating at SU to play one year at UAB is the only way he can play for both without sitting out a year, correct? A lot can happen between now and then, but I hope the staff change works ok for him before that decision point arrives.

Good for Clark if he can accomplish his plan. I would never advise that for any kid let alone an athlete. The class load for 3 years plus 2 Summer sessions is a lot, especially with football taking up so much time. I think every student should go on the 5 year plan. There is no rush to enter the real world and college is a great time. You can do the 4 years like normal and then do a semester or two abroad. Get the full experience of college. The only draw back is not graduating with all of your friends.

Has a player ever graduated in 3 years and then played somewhere else in year 4?

Has a player ever graduated in 3 years and then played somewhere else in year 4?
Jake Raulerson, formerly of UT, graduated in three years and just transferred to UCLA to play two years (he redshirted his first year).

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-sn-jake-raulerson-ucla-20160125-story.html

Raulerson was particularly coveted because he comes with two seasons of eligibility, a rarity among graduate transfers. Raulerson earned his degree from Texas in three years, and redshirted his first season. He is expected to enroll in UCLA’s business school.

This story is not over and is worth keeping an eye on during Spring practice. That will likely resolve things one way or the other. I think UMd is a more likely destination. The UAB talk is for the local rubes.

My daughter wants to be a therapist, too. As such, most people will train at the graduate level in the state they wish to practice in. I don't know if that is a hard and fast rule or if it is a general practice, regardless, that is what she discovered. My take is that he wishes to practice in Alabama. The three years and graduate from Syracuse is a very aggressive plan but this kid probably can do it. I wish him the best, though I would like all four years in Orange. It may not matter as the NFL could want him, too.
My guess is that most people happen to go to school where they've lived most of their lives and, therefore, also want to work. The license is easily transferred from state to state and I even know people that got licensed in more than one state right after they graduated because they lived close to a state line and didn't know which one (maybe both) that they'd be practicing in. A new graduate that was hired for his first job the same time I was hired for mine at the same place grew up in Louisiana, went to school in Arkansas, and got his first job in Tennessee.

If Clark wants to play for Scott Shafer I wish him well and we shouldn't block any transfer. I don't think that article said he wants out now but if he did then we shouldn't stop him. I hope the education in his major is good at SU.

Dino Babers has done nothing but bring excitement to our program.

Kids are only kids 1 time. I don't want any kid to feel prisoner. All I would ask is for the kid to be upfront and tell the staff what he wants to do and then let him go elsewhere if that is their choice.

UVA QB Grayson Lambert graduated in 3 years and transferred last year to Georgia and was their starting QB last year.

He had 2 years of eligibility left after leaving UVA for UGA.