Stewart Mandel - Fox Sports | Syracusefan.com

Stewart Mandel - Fox Sports

BVille44

All Conference
Here are a couple of interesting tweets about Syracuse from Stewart Mandel during the Texas - ND game last night.

1. Lots and lots of people run a version of the Leach/Mumme offense, but Texas & Syracuse this year became the first from the Briles tree.

2. This offense is why you should be really excited for Syracuse football in 2018. (Babers.)

2018?

Just because, while it's a revelation to us now, just wait a couple years for Dino to get some of his hand-picked offensive personnel into the lineup. I was drooling last night watching Texas throw bombs to 6'6" track stars on the outside. Just wait until we get some more speed on the outside to scare the corners and safeties.

Going by what Dino has said, it's going to be a year and a half before it totally clicks for everyone. So while it was a good opening act on Friday, there seems to be a ways to go. :)

When this offense takes flight and we start winning 8+ games on a regular basis I hope John Wildhack is willing to pay big money to keep Babers here.
I'm sure Wildhack will be willing to. But unfortunately probably not the rest of SU.

I'm sure Wildhack will be willing to. But unfortunately probably not the rest of SU.

If we're bringing in ticket revenue that's more on par with a P5 program, then I think they'll share that wealth with the guy who got the fans there.

If they can make it a demand product, the $87M revenue we're bringing in now for the entire AD can get up to 9 figures.

Just because, while it's a revelation to us now, just wait a couple years for Dino to get some of his hand-picked offensive personnel into the lineup. I was drooling last night watching Texas throw bombs to 6'6" track stars on the outside. Just wait until we get some more speed on the outside to scare the corners and safeties.

Going by what Dino has said, it's going to be a year and a half before it totally clicks for everyone. So while it was a good opening act on Friday, there seems to be a ways to go. :)

Certainly a good opening act for Dungey, Phillips, and Etta-Tawo, and on his first touch, Neal. Maybe Dungey, Phillips & Etta-Tawo did not listen when folks said it takes a year and a half?

The odd thing is that the passing game seemed ready to go, but maybe the running game will take a year and a half to develop a push and some running lanes?

Certainly a good opening act for Dungey, Phillips, and Etta-Tawo, and on his first touch, Neal. Maybe Dungey, Phillips & Etta-Tawo did not listen when folks said it takes a year and a half?

The odd thing is that the passing game seemed ready to go, but maybe the running game will take a year and a half to develop a push and some running lanes?
They say run blocking is a lot about attitude, but our left side of the line weighs 280lbs, that's really light...

They say run blocking is a lot about attitude, but our left side of the line weighs 280lbs, that's really light...
But the only holding call was the same guy who seems to do it all the time, and this year at guard it's supposed to be his natural position.

TBH my biggest worry is keeping Babers around longer than the two years he spent each at EIU and Bowling Green.
HCDB did say this was a destination job for him, so there is that. I'd like to hope we keep him long term.

Exactly. It doesn't mean we can't be excited now and can't make bowl games this year and next, it means by year 3 he will have way more of his guys installed and the system will be second nature to the players and we will be a legit threat in the conference. Next year's schedule is a brutal one too.

Start him low to make the buyout cheap and keep paying him more as you get more sure you're not going to fire him at some point.

TBH my biggest worry is keeping Babers around longer than the two years he spent each at EIU and Bowling Green.

Word around the camp fire is that Baylor is going to come at him hard next year. Try to seduce him and buy out his contract. For the love of God, i hope not. The Baylor scandal could end up biting us in the arse.

Not a chance. I believe HCDB is a man of his word. He will not leave before he has done as much for us as he can,,,,,:cool:

Word around the camp fire is that Baylor is going to come at him hard next year. Try to seduce him and buy out his contract. For the love of God, i hope not. The Baylor scandal could end up biting us in the arse.
Two things:

1. We need to root hard for Baylor this season (because games are won and lost based on how hard people root).
2. If the worst-case scenario happens, I sure hope Sean Lewis is ready to take over.

HOFCeluck said:

Many people are.

Two things:

1. We need to root hard for Baylor this season (because games are won and lost based on how hard people root).
2. If the worst-case scenario happens, I sure hope Sean Lewis is ready to take over.

Not sure Lewis stays behind. Dino and company seem like a package deal.

I'd think Baylor would consider anyone associated with Briles to be radioactive.

A couple of things...

1) The NCAA hammer hasn't dropped yet. That kind of uncertainty is not going to make it easy for Baylor to make a run at anyone. And if this investigation drags on for a while with an interim coach in place that doesn't come from the Leach/Briles line and who likely doesn't share their philosophy in training, recruiting, etc., it's a total rebuild job at a place with very little football success outside of the Briles years. The boosters would have to fill a dump truck full of cash to get anyone to look past all that. Maybe Mike Leach is crazy enough to do it?

2) If Baylor does escape the NCAA's wrath, winds up bowling this year, and salvages a half-decent class this year, why wouldn't they go after Montgomery at Tulsa if they want a Briles guy? It would seem to me that he's better equipped to hit the ground running than Babers who's been outside of the Texahoma area for 4-plus years now.

3) If Babers wants to leave, there will be better choices than Baylor.

A couple of things...

1) The NCAA hammer hasn't dropped yet. That kind of uncertainty is not going to make it easy for Baylor to make a run at anyone. And if this investigation drags on for a while with an interim coach in place that doesn't come from the Leach/Briles line and who likely doesn't share their philosophy in training, recruiting, etc., it's a total rebuild job at a place with very little football success outside of the Briles years. The boosters would have to drive a dump truck full of cash to get anyone to look past all that. Maybe Mike Leach is crazy enough to do it?

2) If Baylor does escape the NCAA's wrath, winds up bowling this year, and salvages a half-decent class this year, why wouldn't they go after Montgomery at Tulsa if they want a Briles guy? It would seem to me that he's better equipped to hit the ground running than Babers who's been outside of the Texahoma area for 4-plus years now.

3) If Babers wants to leave, there will be better choices than Baylor.

Amen! Great points. Ok, i feel better now.