Still don't understand why SU didn't do this | Syracusefan.com

Still don't understand why SU didn't do this

Orangeyes

R.I.P Dan

In this video RU played up their win over SU on Youtube. When we beat them two years in a row, 2009 & 2010, there was never a clip put on Youtube. I contacted SU about it and Roger Springfield responded that highlights could be found at the SUA website. Sorry but that does not get the circulation that Youtube does and unless you know the ropes those videos are hard to find.

Can anyone lead me to highlights of SU wins over RU at SUA? Like it or not we are competing for many of the same recruits and losing most of the battles. These Johnny come lately's are doing a better marketing job than we are. It's time we use all of the weapons available in the arsenal. It doesn't cost a penny to post on Youtube.

I thought we were the communications school? Today alone Rutgers put up 7 videos on Youtube.

Another example of the piss-poor marketing of SU Athletics, but it's an area where they simply don't have the staff to do what is needed. Other than football, they have done a terrible job of using social media in an effective manner as well. Maybe this will change with the influx of the ACC money or from the efforts of this Giansante guy?

I'd let the person in charge of football's videos/facebook coordinate that effort for the whole AD and give them the staff to do things like this.

You would think that marketing would be a frequent topic of discussion in the Gross household, no?

To add...
How about posting HD videos that can be expanded to a size larger than a 200x200 thumbnail. Some High School AV departments are giving SUAthletics a run for their money. Get with it and post the vids on YouTube.

C'mon SU. You are playing with ACC money now...and Roger Springfield is no longer behind the camera. Its time to step up your game.

In this video RU played up their win over SU on Youtube. When we beat them two years in a row, 2009 & 2010, there was never a clip put on Youtube. I contacted SU about it and Roger Springfield responded that highlights could be found at the SUA website. Sorry but that does not get the circulation that Youtube does and unless you know the ropes those videos are hard to find.

Can anyone lead me to highlights of SU wins over RU at SUA? Like it or not we are competing for many of the same recruits and losing most of the battles. These Johnny come lately's are doing a better marketing job than we are. It's time we use all of the weapons available in the arsenal. It doesn't cost a penny to post on Youtube.

I thought we were the communications school? Today alone Rutgers put up 7 videos on Youtube.

Roger Springfield had other things to do.

I just looked at SUA's youtube page and it seems to me they use it a lot for the Olympic sports. Very little football and men's hoops to be found. And that's dumb on their part. They could get massive hits.

Rogers other highlight tapes can found on YouTube, with subscription.

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk 2

Temple / Army / Tulane / Howard - that sums up their "success" in recent years perfectly (n)

or

That's actually a strong OOC schedule for rutgers - no wonder they're bragging about it on youtube Oh Lord

The point is that SU doesn't have any of these. With all the pre-season hype for Louisville, why doesn't SU have something online showing how we destroyed them in the Dome?

SU has always had zero presence on YouTube, at least on the football side of things. Embarrassing.

SU has always had zero presence on YouTube, at least on the football side of things. Embarrassing.
I have addressed with SU, I'll share their responses if I can dig them up.

It is baffling how bad our marketing/communications is for SU football. Football drives the truck in the new conference format. We need to get with it.

We have some really damn good highlights to brag about over the last few years.

Make it a semester project for every single Newhouse kid to make the best SUFB videos. Let's leverage what we have in-house!

IN my email I had asked about finding the Ernie Davis Sports Century on Youtube or SUA.
I also wrote: I have tried to find footage on You Tube of our two most recent victories over Rutgers but could find none. I think recruits and their parents, while researching their choices, should be able to come up with footage that shows us in a favorable light

Found the response from Roger Springfield

Feb 24, 2012

Hi Dan,

Daryl forwarded your email to me and asked that I follow up with you. I haven’t seen you in a while, so hope all is well in your world.

We have chosen to post all of our video content on Orange All Access on our institutional website, suathletics.com. The content includes all of our Ernie Davis events and videos, Jim Brown, Floyd Little, John Mackey, Art Monk, the 1959 championship team, Coach Mac, Don McPherson, etc. We have also posted many Classic football, basketball and lacrosse games from the 80’s and 90’s. There is a significant void in archives, so we are limited with the material we have access to, but I think we have most bases covered.

We have chosen to post this content on our own website as an exclusive feature to drive traffic and viewership. There is certainly a very strong argument to be made for posting this content on Youtube, which we will discuss internally.

It’s always good to hear from you and we very much appreciate your comments and suggestions. Hope to see you soon.

Thanks.

Roger

There's got to be an undergrad football fanatic on campus with some editing chops that would go bonkers to work part time and make $10 an hour just cranking out highlight videos to put on YouTube.

IN my email I had asked about finding the Ernie Davis Sports Century on Youtube or SUA.
I also wrote: I have tried to find footage on You Tube of our two most recent victories over Rutgers but could find none. I think recruits and their parents, while researching their choices, should be able to come up with footage that shows us in a favorable light

Feb 24, 2012

Hi Dan,

Daryl forwarded your email to me and asked that I follow up with you. I haven’t seen you in a while, so hope all is well in your world.

We have chosen to post all of our video content on Orange All Access on our institutional website, suathletics.com. The content includes all of our Ernie Davis events and videos, Jim Brown, Floyd Little, John Mackey, Art Monk, the 1959 championship team, Coach Mac, Don McPherson, etc. We have also posted many Classic football, basketball and lacrosse games from the 80’s and 90’s. There is a significant void in archives, so we are limited with the material we have access to, but I think we have most bases covered.

We have chosen to post this content on our own website as an exclusive feature to drive traffic and viewership. There is certainly a very strong argument to be made for posting this content on Youtube, which we will discuss internally.

It’s always good to hear from you and we very much appreciate your comments and suggestions. Hope to see you soon.

Thanks.

Roger

Yup. Roger was VERY focused on what was going on in-house.

This kind of says it all. Very naive and possibly old school marketing people in charge. They actually think that traffic and viewership on the suathletics site is their goal. No. Their goal should be to reach as many people as possible with a positive message. Keep the quantity on All Access but you gotta put some stuff where the kids are, not where you want them to be.

This kind of says it all. Very naive and possibly old school marketing people in charge. They actually think that traffic and viewership on the suathletics site is their goal. No. Their goal should be to reach as many people as possible with a positive message. Keep the quantity on All Access but you gotta put some stuff where the kids are, not where you want them to be.

Seems like the football coaching staff, George McDonald and Eric White in particular, are catching on. At least with Twitter.

Feb 24, 2012

Hi Dan,

Thanks.

Roger
Are they really that clueless? That's like a car dealership putting up advertising posters INSIDE the dealership instead of having billboards on the side of the road. The people that see your stuff are the people that already care. The focus should be to advertise to potential new customers (or recruits) and expand the brand. I've never taken a marketing class and that's obvious to me.

anyone with a teenage kid? ask them to do it -
a few texts to friends who text more and so on- done in like 20 minutes max

You have to admit that the smoke and mirrors is working for Rutgers. Our marketing is very lacking.

Ditto on finding a student to make some videos. I offered to make them an ipad app, and that offer still stands.

Seems like the football coaching staff, George McDonald and Eric White in particular, are catching on. At least with Twitter.
Yes, I was going to post that this sounds like a job for Eric White. Maybe a twitter follower could bypass the marketing/communications department entirely and make the suggestion directly to him?

Someone who knows someone at SU should tell them that:

1) YouTube is the 2nd largest search engine in the world - processing more than 3 BILLION searches a month
2) It's larger than Bing, AOL, Yahoo, and Ask.com COMBINED
3) There are nearly 1 billion unique visitors a month - with 1 in 2 internet users visiting YouTube monthly
4) YouTube reaches more US Adults ages 18-34 than any cable network (including ESPN)

All that noted, Syracuse NEEDS to put highlight videos on YouTube - ASAP

EDIT: Forgot one... 5) Visitors view 200 Million HOURS of video every day or 6 Billion hours a month

You want 16, 17, & 18 year-olds to get excited about the program? You want them to want to play for SU?

Then let them visit YouTube highlights and share them on their social networks (Twitter/Facebook/Tumblr, etc.)

This seems like a no-brainer.

And don't tell me being on YouTube wouldn't help sell tix too... Because it would. Ned in accounting sees an awesome highlight while screwing around at work. He then emails his buddies and suggests they head up to the Dome next weekend.

Someone who knows someone at SU should tell them that:

1) YouTube is the 2nd largest search engine in the world - processing more than 3 BILLION searches a month
2) It's larger than Bing, AOL, Yahoo, and Ask.com COMBINED
3) There are nearly 1 billion unique visitors a month - with 1 in 2 internet users visiting YouTube monthly
4) YouTube reaches more US Adults ages 18-34 than and cable network (including ESPN)

All that noted, Syracuse NEEDS to put highlight videos on YouTube - ASAP

Wish I could like this a thousand times