Stony Brook Game... | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Stony Brook Game...

Thanks for all the updates.

Kyle's Player-of-the game is Mr Hiltz.

1615580835332.png

Started off bumpy, but Syracuse put on an impressive display against the Seawolves. I thought this would be a closer game, but all facets of the team came to play. Porter was again terrific, face-off much improved, and the offense, while dealing with some uncharacteristic turnovers were very efficient. Some random observations -

Wykoff has played three games and has held his mark to zero goals in all three. Not sure how good Tom Haun from SB is, but he was held to a double donut by Wykoff. I know there are a lot of factors in play for how and why a player scores during a game, but this is really impressive by the DIII transfer. I hope I am not jinxing by pointing this out.

Hiltz was incredible, that shot of his is amazing. I keep thinking they need to give the ball to him more, but the ball is hardly in his stick for a second before he's shooting or throwing an incredible pass. Hope his teammates start finishing more of his passes. Does not look like a freshmen. And oh yea, six groundballs on the day.

Another great inverting performance by Curry, he's really playing well this year, not pressing and sharing the ball, but also attacking the goal when able to. Again, having him be able to play behind the goal is such a weapon. This looks to be a look the coaches like when the team is struggling and it keeps working.

Agree with Woody, even though he had four shots and none went it, Ferris looks like he has "it". Finishing that "through the legs facing away from the goal" shot would have been something. Very aggressive and full of confidence. I hope they give him a lot more playing time.

Defense was solid, gave up a few doorstep looks but good at knocking down shots and passes and playing their men straight up. Avilies was better but still losses his balance really easily and I thought he went for the home run check a little too much.

Great game by Phaup, thought those face-off scrums were a battle today and he came up with his fair share of possessions all on his own. Seems like the wings need to be more synchronized, too many times guys were going for the ball at the same time. Man-Ball is pretty basic lacrosse, I think they just need to be better at communicating.

I think Barlow plays solid defense but does he throw stick checks at all? I think I liked him more as SSDM, hope Clary comes back soon.

Started off bumpy, but Syracuse put on an impressive display against the Seawolves. I thought this would be a closer game, but all facets of the team came to play. Porter was again terrific, face-off much improved, and the offense, while dealing with some uncharacteristic turnovers were very efficient. Some random observations -

Wykoff has played three games and has held his mark to zero goals in all three. Not sure how good Tom Haun from SB is, but he was held to a double donut by Wykoff. I know there are a lot of factors in play for how and why a player scores during a game, but this is really impressive by the DIII transfer. I hope I am not jinxing by pointing this out.

Hiltz was incredible, that shot of his is amazing. I keep thinking they need to give the ball to him more, but the ball is hardly in his stick for a second before he's shooting or throwing an incredible pass. Hope his teammates start finishing more of his passes. Does not look like a freshmen. And oh yea, six groundballs on the day.

Another great inverting performance by Curry, he's really playing well this year, not pressing and sharing the ball, but also attacking the goal when able to. Again, having him be able to play behind the goal is such a weapon. This looks to be a look the coaches like when the team is struggling and it keeps working.

Agree with Woody, even though he had four shots and none went it, Ferris looks like he has "it". Finishing that "through the legs facing away from the goal" shot would have been something. Very aggressive and full of confidence. I hope they give him a lot more playing time.

Defense was solid, gave up a few doorstep looks but good at knocking down shots and passes and playing their men straight up. Avilies was better but still losses his balance really easily and I thought he went for the home run check a little too much.

Great game by Phaup, thought those face-off scrums were a battle today and he came up with his fair share of possessions all on his own. Seems like the wings need to be more synchronized, too many times guys were going for the ball at the same time. Man-Ball is pretty basic lacrosse, I think they just need to be better at communicating.

I think Barlow plays solid defense but does he throw stick checks at all? I think I liked him more as SSDM, hope Clary comes back soon.

One thing we need to do is develop some depth behind Phaup. Varello is sitting at a ghastly 28% right now. Unless Savage is for sure red-shirting I don't know why he hasn't seen the field. Hoping one of the media guys picks up on this and asks Desko this week. If anyone knows any of the reporters twitter or other contact info leave it here and I will reach out with the request.

Garlow saw his first action this season today and went 1-2. they should give him more reps over Varello at this point. Curious about Savage's status.

Garlow saw his first action this season today and went 1-2. they should give him more reps over Varello at this point. Curious about Savage's status.

Garlow was a local kid who was a project when he came here. He seems to have come a long way but not sure he's really an option to see extended or high level PT if you catch my drift. Still if Savage is for sure Red-Shirting id like to see him get a few because Varello looks lost. Wonder whats up with Kline and the other RS-Frosh FOGO.

Garlow was a local kid who was a project when he came here. He seems to have come a long way but not sure he's really an option to see extended or high level PT if you catch my drift. Still if Savage is for sure Red-Shirting id like to see him get a few because Varello looks lost. Wonder whats up with Kline and the other RS-Frosh FOGO.
I hear you. I just wonder if the new rules suit Garlow better than they do Varello. Phaup has made the transition almost seamlessly Thankfully it is not as demanding as old style. Also, Phaup gets pushed from behind a lot but gets no love from officials. Today you could hear Desko yelling "that's a push from behind" during the broadcast. Wonder if Savage is nicked up?

I hear you. I just wonder if the new rules suit Garlow better than they do Varello. Phaup has made the transition almost seamlessly Thankfully it is not as demanding as old style. Also, Phaup gets pushed from behind a lot but gets no love from officials. Today you could hear Desko yelling "that's a push from behind" during the broadcast. Wonder if Savage is nicked up?

Yes Phaup takes a ton of abuse at the X and rarely gets a call. Varello was excellent last year but hes clearly been a victim of the new rules. He looks out of sorts and slow. We need to get one of the young guys some draws because Phaup can't take 98% of the draws, he will inevitable wear down. Hate to be a dead horse but where is Savage?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom