Stop blaming the fans for attendance | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Stop blaming the fans for attendance

Product on the field vs fan support is like a chicken vs egg argument… hard to tell which comes first.

They will both trend in the same direction but to get an upswing, what will it take? Will fans start packing the Dome and upping donations, NIL for a .500 team? Probably not meaningfully. Will Dino put a program together that improves to a consistent bowl team with some exciting players? Haven’t seem that yet and don’t have much belief/hope left.

Fans probably need a reset (coach) to give them a reason for optimism about the program’s ability to have an upswing. Dino now sorta feels like the latter years of Boeheim… not going anywhere.

I wonder what this forum might look like if they whooped up and down the field by FSU..

Cuse football fans are fickle and NYS doesn't promote or invest enough in football. Football is not religion in NYS like it is in others. Attendance will remain spotty until they have a Mac/ PP type run. Which is harder to do these days.

I don't mind losing games to the likes of FSU - Clemson - UNC - Or whoever is having a hot year in the ACC besides us (Duke/UL/Miami etc) as long as we look competitive and put a fun product out to watch/consume. If we aren't winning and also not putting an entertaining product on the field the fans will not come and will not care.

If Dino wants fan support he needs to figure out the offense or figure out how to win a boring 13-10 game against the better teams in the ACC.

The mid to late swoons are killers and been far too consistent. SU's been getting some momentum at the beginning of the season for the past 2 but can they stop these mid October/November disasters? That would help get the fan base moving because it's more of a what have you done for me lately thing regarding getting some "excitement" going towards this program.
The three game stretch that is happening was well known and 95% of us expected 0-3. I am holding judgement until the end of the year. If we’re 8-4,9-3 at the need will anyone remember this?? Probably not.

'You can't make chicken soup out of chicken feathers" When we play upper level teams. the talent gap in terms of size, speed, and strength is crystal clear and that is why we get man handled. You can't out scheme those type of basic deficiencies. The talent gap will not disappear until the resources to support the program improve. We need better players. Look no further than Colorado: they got and paid for a coach who can recruit, boosters dropped 29 million into the program from January until the start of the season, to cover their new coach's salary. Now, the new coach as brought in better players, and they are winning. They have money to Pay NIL deals and a collective full of money to pay players. What is the difference between Colorado and Syracuse? Money... It is so easy to blame Wildhack and Babers and the coaches, but our problems run deeper than our leaders. We all need to get real and just accept that Syracuse Football will remain a low- mid tier program in the current climate that is College Football because we we lack the money to play with the Big Boys.
There’s zero chance this fan base drops $29 million to offset a coaches salary and rightfully so.

There’s zero chance this fan base drops $29 million to offset a coaches salary and rightfully so.
Why are our big donors so much less than others. SU is a rich kid school, aren’t there rich alums??? I always hear the “whoa is me” song and dance from alumni but yet there’s more wealth than state schools

Maybe it wouldn’t be 18-41 if we had gung ho fan support.
You are delusional if you think that. Fully half are away games. I am one of those that attend away games often, do you? I think not.

I don't know where to put this or if it needs its own thread but this is bad like really bad
We need to be realistic about this kind of stuff.

Our role is to be an ACC punching bag. That's our job. We stay out of the way of the better teams trying to work themselves into the playoffs.

We need to be realistic about this kind of stuff.

Our role is to be an ACC punching bag. That's our job. We stay out of the way of the better teams trying to work themselves into the playoffs.
Maloney got canned after 7 seasons and 3 were winning, and took over after Ben went 2-9. Dino should be gone now. Let Rocky and Beck be Associate head coaches for rest of year, to see if they can turn things around.

I don't mind losing games to the likes of FSU - Clemson - UNC - Or whoever is having a hot year in the ACC besides us (Duke/UL/Miami etc) as long as we look competitive and put a fun product out to watch/consume. If we aren't winning and also not putting an entertaining product on the field the fans will not come and will not care.

If Dino wants fan support he needs to figure out the offense or figure out how to win a boring 13-10 game against the better teams in the ACC.
When your coach acts there is no hope in postgame and we can’t compete or we are crazy to think we can compete than why should fans support him?

You are delusional if you think that. Fully half are away games. I am one of those that attend away games often, do you? I think not.

LOL.

Nothing's ever the school's/program's fault. They are infallible. It's always the fans.

Who said always? Making your own spin? I said part of the reason. And I know what I’m talking about. I’ve got 60 years of fandom seeing it. The best fans support their team through thick and thin.

It's not necessarily a binary of "the team sucks" or "the administration doesn't do enough."

Games are way better to watch at home (the breaks in the games are unbearable), the games take forever because of ad breaks, college football isn't king in CNY, the middle class is shrinking and tickets to Syracuse aren't a priority.

Shrinking attendance isn't just a Syracuse problem (USC and UCLA have huge sections of their stadiums tarped over, for example).

There are plenty of teams with crummy records that have consistently high fan turnout.

There are plenty of teams with crummy records that have consistently high fan turnout.
Maybe it’s still fun. Maybe there’s nothing else to do.

Maybe it’s culturally the “thing” to do. Maybe it’s cheap and perceived as “hassle free”(people who don’t know what they’re doing have trouble when there’s not a bunch of giant parking lots that are easy to get to), etc.

I don't know where to put this or if it needs its own thread but this is bad like really bad

Just remember. We can’t do better and you’re delusional if you think we can do better than almost being the worst.

We are a step above the bottom, so we could always be worse. But we’ll never do better than what we have now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom