Stop blaming the fans for attendance | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Stop blaming the fans for attendance

I’ve always put part of the blame on the fans and I always will. Too many front runners.
I have a neighbor who went to FSU in the early 70's. She said that her and her girlfriends would take beers into the stadium to drink on Saturdays because no one was there.
They brought in Bobby Bowden and the rest is history. Dino isn't going to start consistently winning, he needs to go. Bring someone in who can win. Mac changed the losing culture and it can be done again.

I’ve always put part of the blame on the fans and I always will. Too many front runners.
Nah. Nearly every time this program shows some life the crowds perk up. We had some very large crowds last year, and in the recent years pre-COVID.

It’s good that we’re dropping capacity. The Dome is too big for the region.

Some of you would sooner fire the last 20,000 diehards we have left than the handful of people there are who’s responsibility it actually is to improve the program. The grass isnt always greener but right now it feels like broken glass we’re standing on

Some of you would sooner fire the last 20,000 diehards we have left than the handful of people there are who’s responsibility it actually is to improve the program. The grass isnt always greener but right now it feels like broken glass we’re standing on

But if only there were more fans,Dino would suddenly be able to recruit and coach...

I can still remember the sack Mac group. Or the last P years. Or Marrone. Or the Shafer or grob years. Doesn’t matter who the coach is.

I'm semi-joking when I ask this - do people not like the friends they go with? It's always some miserable gut punch thing, not a day of hanging out, being cool, tailgating, etc etc etc.

Half the teams lose every Saturday but seem to have a certain level of enjoyment to it.
This. I have a group of guys I've gone to games with for almost 20 years. We travel from all over the country to meet up in Syracuse once a year. We've lost a lot more of those games than we've won, but we still go every year. It's a chance to catch up with old friends, drink beer in a parking lot at 8am, and act like we're still 23 for a day. Because of stories we've told other friends about our trips, we've recruited other regular attendees that have absolutely no connection with the school or the city, but are now fans. Sure, I wish we had won more. But the idea of saying "Oh we're not very good this year, let's not go"...that's never occurred to us. Because it's still fun.

I can still remember the sack Mac group. Or the last P years. Or Marrone. Or the Shafer or grob years. Doesn’t matter who the coach is.

But Mac turned it around. Dino's not doing that. And I'm sure you remember the New Times cartoon "You can't spell sucks without SU" Mac changed that pretty quick.
The last years of P were pretty tough. D's run run pass punt did him in.

Zoo didn't say they stopped hanging out as friends after that game.

They just ain't going to games together as a regular thing anymore.

Cuz they went, and got nut punched.

I'm sure they still hang out.

Not singling him out - it's not an uncommon theme around here.

Of course a lot of these gatherings seem to be in games where we aren't favored and people seem surprised if we don't win.

False. Our biggest eggs have been laid with some of our biggest crowds.
This is the issue. 18k fans will come no matter what. The other 22k will only come if there is hope. Dinos eggs has removed all hope for the average fan. The bs it’s the fans fault is laughable. 23 years of poor football has removed generations of fans. Fire Dino and spend on a coach with a proven rebuild record and ppl will get excited again for football and spend their hard earned money. Keep Dino and this program will keep bleeding to death.

I have a neighbor who went to FSU in the early 70's. She said that her and her girlfriends would take beers into the stadium to drink on Saturdays because no one was there.
They brought in Bobby Bowden and the rest is history. Dino isn't going to start consistently winning, he needs to go. Bring someone in who can win. Mac changed the losing culture and it can be done again.
I had an eye open Convo recently with some fsu, and Michigan fans I work with. They view us like we viewed temple back in the day. We have become a doormat with zero respect given. Wait till the acc is picked apart and we are playing eastern football against army, Buffalo and Cornell. That will surely sell tickets

And start preparing our teams not to embarrass themselves on national TV.

Wildhack/Babers,

You want the support of CNY? Do your jobs.

Nothing has changed yet the excuses are equally dispersed on the region and fanbase.

Accountability. Where is it?

The end of JB’s tenure was a debacle and I have no faith that Dino’s will be any different.

Both are/were continued mediocrity or worse.

Same people blaming the fans are the same ones that excused JW and JB.

It’s been two decades. Time to be better.

Damn Straight , and I remember the people on this board saying how GRob was going to flash his Super bowl ring and 4 and 5 star recruits were going to pour in by the hundreds. Fans everywhere are idiots.

Not singling him out - it's not an uncommon theme around here.

Of course a lot of these gatherings seem to be in games where we aren't favored and people seem surprised if we don't win.
To me it comes down to what's the variable, and what's the constant.

To me the constant is people getting together having fun. The variable is the where.

To some in this thread the constant is the where being around Syracuse football.

I think the conditions that led to the programs success 87-01 are difficult to replicate now. Coach P (and DeLeone) stayed at Syracuse and pretty much had NJ recruits to themselves.

In today's world Cuse can certainly get a HC but if he's very good he will leave quickly which forces the admin to keep hitting on hires.

I think Millhouse was the one that said just hire a coach who wants to throw 50 times. Cuse plays in a Dome and I think a "gimmick" offense is probably the best thing for the program to do.

But Mac turned it around. Dino's not doing that. And I'm sure you remember the New Times cartoon "You can't spell sucks without SU" Mac changed that pretty quick.
The last years of P were pretty tough. D's run run pass punt did him in.

Mac did turn it around. Doesn’t change the fact the fans wanted him run out of town.

Damn Straight , and I remember the people on this board saying how GRob was going to flash his Super bowl ring and 4 and 5 star recruits were going to pour in by the hundreds. Fans everywhere are idiots.
So because of that we should provide Dino another mile of slack?

The end of JB’s tenure was a debacle and I have no faith that Dino’s will be any different.

Both are/were continued mediocrity or worse.

Same people blaming the fans are the same ones that excused JW and JB.

It’s been two decades. Time to be better.

Who’s “blaming the fans”? I said part of the problem. Ever talk to a player? A recruit? A coach? Our front running fans have been “part” of the problem for years.

Who has told you the fans aren't wanted?

Have the players come out and said "we hate the fans"

Have the coaches said that?

Or are you confusing talent getting bested by better talent with a personal slight?
To answer your question, I literally hear about this to this very day, as the reason some left and never came back because of this idiot with no PR sense, "he told me to get a life, so I did", etc.
CCAC7011-E00D-4993-B08E-90F9D0D45046.png

Last edited:
Zoo didn't say they stopped hanging out as friends after that game.

They just ain't going to games together as a regular thing anymore.

Cuz they went, and got nut punched.

I'm sure they still hang out.

Correct this was friends and some family too. A few who hung on to season tickets through the Greg debacle. Hardly fair weather - they simply just chose to focus on other things and spend time and money on other things than Cuse football. Not to mention we are talking several folks who don't have a lot of money to throw around to go see a football game cheap as tickets may be.

It's not a simple fix and attacking fans like them is stupid along with the fair weather label. Not a single one of them is spending time attacking the program or team either.

I'm semi-joking when I ask this - do people not like the friends they go with? It's always some miserable gut punch thing, not a day of hanging out, being cool, tailgating, etc etc etc.

Half the teams lose every Saturday but seem to have a certain level of enjoyment to it.
For many people the game day experience is too closely determined by the product on the field. The overall experience is quite lacking for a variety of reasons. The administration can start by addressing the tailgating disadvantages, the disjointed pregame atmosphere, and the phoned-in in-game experience including all the commercial dead time. There is plenty within their control that they can improve that doesn’t even factor in team performance.

Last edited:
This. I have a group of guys I've gone to games with for almost 20 years. We travel from all over the country to meet up in Syracuse once a year. We've lost a lot more of those games than we've won, but we still go every year. It's a chance to catch up with old friends, drink beer in a parking lot at 8am, and act like we're still 23 for a day. Because of stories we've told other friends about our trips, we've recruited other regular attendees that have absolutely no connection with the school or the city, but are now fans. Sure, I wish we had won more. But the idea of saying "Oh we're not very good this year, let's not go"...that's never occurred to us. Because it's still fun.
That works for one game a year. Reunions don’t have the same appeal if people are asked to do it every other week for 3 months.

Who said always? Making your own spin? I said part of the reason. And I know what I’m talking about. I’ve got 60 years of fandom seeing it. The best fans support their team through thick and thin.
I have been a fan just as long, actually longer, and fan support was and always will be tied to performance. I sat thru the Maloney years where we often only had 15K or so, then the uptick after Mac righted the ship and Pasqualoni kept the results high for many years, then the disastrous GRob debacle where perfomance and attendance cratered. You say that fans should follow thru all, I say horsefeathers. Only the most diehard do that, and the truth is SU has never had that many.
Most people do not wish to pay for a substandard product. I do, you do but those that do are the exception.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
colpars13

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom