Strength of Schedule | Syracusefan.com

Strength of Schedule

CU44SE

All Conference
Was going to post on the other thread but looks like it got nuked. But the subject continues to come up among Virginia fans so I thought I may actually provide some stats to this argument.

RPI, which we all know is very flawed. There are ways to backdoor the system, just look at pitt for an example. Those two games as described earlier are absolute killers to our SoS. You penalized very harshly for playing teams that are below a certain level and thats exactly what happened to us.

Syracuse SoS: 83, Non conf: 139, Conf: 89, Vs top 25: 3-1, vs top 50: 8-1

Virginia SoS: 40, Non conf: 25, Conf: 101, vs top 25: 1-3, vs top 50: 3-3

If you look at the BPI then its much different:

Syracuse SoS: 59

Virginia Sos: 75

Sports reference:

Syracuse SoS: 45

Virginia SoS: 52

All in all, it doesn't really matter because the game will be decided on Saturday at 4pm and the previous 27 games wont have any effect on the outcome.

1779251_533960843383265_287579222_n.jpg
Virginia vs Tennessee -35

UVA playing BC: 1-0
Syracuse playing BC at home: 0-1
Oh damn we might have to be 2 seed this year because of that loss. Oh the humiliation I mean when your a 4 seed, 1 seed, 3 seed, 1 seed, 3 seed the past 5 years in the NCAA tournament having to be a 2 seed because we lost to BC is so damn frustrating to deal with. Seriously with dumb trolling and either give legitimate takes or go back to your back to the future board that looks like what message boards looked like when Al Gore invented the internet. Hoyatalk is laughing at how hard it is to read theSabre.

The problem with SOS is it takes in many games against sub 100 teams, that a quality team like Syracuse or Virginia will beat 95-100% of the time. Beating an RPI 150 team is no more impressive than beating an RPI 300 team.

I think the better way to look as schedule strength at it is:
# of Top 25 Games Played
# of Top 50 Games Played
# of Top 100 Games Played

The rest of the games are essentially meaningless, and only work to skew SOS.

Dude, UVA playing Tennessee-lost by 35.. UVA playing Green Bay-LOST

Honest question - does anyone here think that some of Syracuse's results may have been different if you'd actually played some true road games in the non-conference? If you don't count a game in the Garden as a road game, Syracuse didn't play a road game until early January. You didn't play a road game against a team as good as Tennessee or Green Bay until February against Pitt.

Number of losses by greater than 6 points:
Syracuse: zero.
UVA: honestly, I can't be bothered to look it up.
UVA: 2, so you've got us there I guess. I'm not sure if that's any more or less relevant than margin of victory vs. common opponents. If you could be bothered to look that up you'd find Syracuse on the wrong side of that ledger.

Honest question - does anyone here think that some of Syracuse's results may have been different if you'd actually played some true road games in the non-conference? If you don't count a game in the Garden as a road game, Syracuse didn't play a road game until early January. You didn't play a road game against a team as good as Tennessee or Green Bay until February against Pitt.
yep, uh huh, and that explains the home game your team lost while scoring 38 points, doesn't it?
(against a Wisconsin team that is mediocre at best defensively this year)
:)

And bubble team vcu was a home game for the mighty hoos, too, wasn't it?

yep, uh huh, and that explains the home game your team lost while scoring 38 points, doesn't it?
(against a Wisconsin team that is mediocre at best defensively this year)
:)

I was at that game; it was dreadful. No arguments here (although kenpom has Wisconsin as 44th in adjusted D, which I think is a bit better than mediocre at best).

I think we can all agree those games just happen sometimes. There was a Big East team that scored 46 in a home loss to Georgetown last year - is that all that different? That team went on to have a pretty successful season last year, so hopefully we can do the same . . .

UVA: 2, so you've got us there I guess. I'm not sure if that's any more or less relevant than margin of victory vs. common opponents. If you could be bothered to look that up you'd find Syracuse on the wrong side of that ledger.
We don't lose to either Tennessee or Green Bay on the road this year. With Fair, Ennis leading this team we have been consistent all season long. We lost to BC because they went 11 for 22 from 3 pt range and held the ball literally around the perimeter for 30 seconds each possession and offense took the night off. Give BC credit for winning the game, but they executed their game plan 100% and won because we played our worst offensive game of the season and they went 50% from 3 pt range and shortened the game. We beat Minnesota, California, Baylor on back to back to back days in November out in Maui. We play road games in the non-conference last year we played @Arkansas, the year before we played @NC State. Hell we beat UVA at JPJ arena in Dec. 2007. We were the first team to beat UVA at JPJ arena when their students were there and school was in session. The media give JB crap because they are lazy and don't actually do the research. UVA is a good team, but we have played the tougher schedule and I explained how the RPI SOS can be gamed. We played 2 terrible teams Cornell 2-22 RPI 329 and Binghamton 7-21 RPI 327 they have NUKED our RPI SOS as a result.

.jpg

Aside from the 3 games we played in Maui, it's tough to find non con games that approach the $$$$$ amount we get for playing in front of 20k+ against nobody at home. It's certainly more than playing in front of 6k in Green Bay. St Johns > Tennessee as well while were at it but road games in one's recruiting territory make sense. Tell me again how your 360 mile trek to Tennessee counts as a road game but our 260 mile trek to St Johns doesn't? Because our fanbase travels well?

If you don't count a game in the Garden as a road game, Syracuse didn't play a road game until early January.

How can you not count a game against St. John's in the Garden as a road game? It is, after all, one of their home courts.

"If you don't count the BC and Duke games, we're undefeated."

No arguments here (although kenpom has Wisconsin as 44th in adjusted D, which I think is a bit better than mediocre at best).
I live in big10 country and have watched offensively-challenged teams like Northwestern, Minnesota and Indiana carve up Bucky's D like some kind of clinic. They are mediocre at best on defense this year.

W-L record of SU ACC opponents in conference games is >>> than UVa's.

Syracuse to St Johns = UVA to Nova. If UVA plays Villanova in Philly it wouldn't be a road game?

Different state therefore a true road game.

What if Virginia played at VCU. I guess that would not be considered a true-road game. What do you think Virginia fans?

When Duke played at UNC the other night... apparently not a true road game for Duke.

When Michigan St played at Michigan... apparently not a true road game for Michigan St.

It all makes sense now.

Different state therefore a true road game.

What if Virginia played at VCU. I guess that would not be considered a true-road game. What do you think Virginia fans?

When Duke played at UNC the other night... apparently not a true road game for Duke.

When Michigan St played at Michigan... apparently not a true road game for Michigan St.

It all makes sense now.

I'm having fun with this. Places UVA could play in and fly to in equal or lessor time than our non road games in Maui include but are not limited to Buenos Aires Argentina, Paris France, Vienna Austria, Oslo Norway, Tel Aviv Israel, Moscow Russia, Casablanca Morocco, CuseTroop 's backyard in Alaska.

We don't lose to either Tennessee or Green Bay on the road this year. With Fair, Ennis leading this team we have been consistent all season long. We lost to BC because they went 11 for 22 from 3 pt range and held the ball literally around the perimeter for 30 seconds each possession and offense took the night off. Give BC credit for winning the game, but they executed their game plan 100% and won because we played our worst offensive game of the season and they went 50% from 3 pt range and shortened the game. We beat Minnesota, California, Baylor on back to back to back days in November out in Maui. We play road games in the non-conference last year we played @Arkansas, the year before we played @NC State. Hell we beat UVA at JPJ arena in Dec. 2007. We were the first team to beat UVA at JPJ arena when their students were there and school was in session. The media give JB crap because they are lazy and don't actually do the research. UVA is a good team, but we have played the tougher schedule and I explained how the RPI SOS can be gamed. We played 2 terrible teams Cornell 2-22 RPI 329 and Binghamton 7-21 RPI 327 they have NUKED our RPI SOS as a result.

I wasn't saying whether you have or haven't played a tougher schedule. I was simply pointing out that Syracuse doesn't have to play as many non-conference road games as many other schools, and that some results could turn out differently if you played more games on the road. If the media is giving JB crap about scheduling I think it could be warranted - dating back to the '07-'08 season, you've played 6 true non-conference road games (in 7 years). In that same time span we've played 15, and I think most major conference schools have probably played a similar number. Duke does the same (7 true non conference road games), they just don't get called on it because, well, they're Duke.

Aside from the 3 games we played in Maui, it's tough to find non con games that approach the $$$$$ amount we get for playing in front of 20k+ against nobody at home. It's certainly more than playing in front of 6k in Green Bay. St Johns > Tennessee as well while were at it but road games in one's recruiting territory make sense. Tell me again how your 360 mile trek to Tennessee counts as a road game but our 260 mile trek to St Johns doesn't? Because our fanbase travels well?

RPI, BPI, and Kenpom all rate Tennessee higher than St. Johns. Let me explain myself differently - I don't think a game for Syracuse in the Garden provides a true road test, and yes that's because the majority of the crowd was pro-Syracuse. In my count of road games above I did include the St. Johns game in the 6 over the last 7 years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom