Strength of Schedule | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Strength of Schedule

Different state therefore a true road game.

What if Virginia played at VCU. I guess that would not be considered a true-road game. What do you think Virginia fans?

When Duke played at UNC the other night... apparently not a true road game for Duke.

When Michigan St played at Michigan... apparently not a true road game for Michigan St.

It all makes sense now.

When I talked about not counting the game in the Garden as a road game, I meant from the perspective of not playing in front of a hostile crowd. My apologies for the poor explanation. Here's a quote from the St. John's game recap on espn.com:

"The majority of the crowd of 16,357 was rooting for Syracuse"

Do you think in the 3 examples you cited above the majority of the crowd is pulling for the visitors?

I'm having fun with this. Places UVA could play in and fly to in equal or lessor time than our non road games in Maui include but are not limited to Buenos Aires Argentina, Paris France, Vienna Austria, Oslo Norway, Tel Aviv Israel, Moscow Russia, Casablanca Morocco, CuseTroop 's backyard in Alaska.

Does no one here understand the difference between "neutral site" and "road"?

When I talked about not counting the game in the Garden as a road game, I meant from the perspective of not playing in front of a hostile crowd. My apologies for the poor explanation. Here's a quote from the St. John's game recap on espn.com:

Do you think in the 3 examples you cited above the majority of the crowd is pulling for the visitors?

Dude we took over NCST last year. I guess that doesn't count as a rode game either.

RPI, BPI, and Kenpom all rate Tennessee higher than St. Johns. Let me explain myself differently - I don't think a game for Syracuse in the Garden provides a true road test, and yes that's because the majority of the crowd was pro-Syracuse. In my count of road games above I did include the St. Johns game in the 6 over the last 7 years.

See and this our struggle and the media buys in as well. We play in a lot of venues where the crowd is pro Syracuse, some of which are much further than NYC. DC, Miami, Raleigh, NJ, RI, etc. for starters. NC State fans hated when we took over as an OOC opponent the other year.

Dude we took over NCST last year. I guess that doesn't count as a rode game either.

Don't just make stuff up. From the espn recap of that game (I'm assuming you meant the game 2 years ago):

"At others, the Orange looked flustered and vulnerable against a hot-shooting opponent playing in front of a rowdy home crowd."

"We knew they were going to come out throwing punches and we had to be ready to throw punches back," Waiters said. "With the No. 1 team coming inside here, we knew it was going to be a hostile environment but we had to stick together as a unit, play together and do everything we usually do in practice."

"Rowdy home crowd" and "hostile environment" doesn't make it sound like your fans took over the place.

Sos can be skewed, our sos is so low because we played a couple of teams who's rpi is above 300. We played 4 teams ooc who are more than likely going to the tournament.

Understand very well it's just lines we've heard for years thus I'm having fun with it. St johns, as scheduled, was a road game. Miami FL, as scheduled was a road game. BC, as scheduled, was a road game. If you watch on TV you'll see those team names and colors on the court BUT if you have the volume on you hear Syracuse fans. SU playing in NYC is equivalent to UVA playing in Philadelphia or Charlotte. If your fans decide to come out in droves, more power to them but it's still considered a road game. With Cuse, not so much.

Don't just make stuff up. From the espn recap of that game (I'm assuming you meant the game 2 years ago):

"At others, the Orange looked flustered and vulnerable against a hot-shooting opponent playing in front of a rowdy home crowd."

"We knew they were going to come out throwing punches and we had to be ready to throw punches back," Waiters said. "With the No. 1 team coming inside here, we knew it was going to be a hostile environment but we had to stick together as a unit, play together and do everything we usually do in practice."

"Rowdy home crowd" and "hostile environment" doesn't make it sound like your fans took over the place.
Get over yourself. I was wrong about year that's all.

SOS is totally dependent on methodology which they don't readily disclose. Look at the differences between these 2 NCAA basketball SOS rankings:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/bracketology/sos

http://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-basketball/ranking/strength-of-schedule-by-team

Games have so many varying factors - individual matchups, days between games, injuries, changing starting lineups etc that SOS is just an educated guess, a guideline based on their own unique variables. RPI which uses SOS (which one and why?) as one of their factors, it even has more variables.

How can one ranking have Colorado rated 15th while the other 34th, Syracuse 61st and the other 16th, Virginia 44th and the other 27th, Villanova 6th in one and 24th in the other? It's all crazy.​

http://www.wolfpackforums.com/forum/showthread.php?1624-1-Syracuse

"20+ pt run for the Orange in the first half. I heard cheers. Where are our fans? Just goes to further prove that Raleigh is infested with Yankees. They've ruined the Wake County Schools now they are going after our Basketball games. F***in' Carpetbagging s!"

I don't get how playing 4+ hours away isn't a home game? Is it our fault we have a fan base that's helps fill other arenas? I guess beating Kansas in Kansas City doesn't count as a road win for us then? Since you know it's what an hour or 2 down the road? We probably should schedule more true road games, we win them all anyways.

I don't get how playing 4+ hours away isn't a home game? Is it our fault we have a fan base that's helps fill other arenas? I guess beating Kansas in Kansas City doesn't count as a road win for us then? Since you know it's what an hour or 2 down the road? We probably should schedule more true road games, we win them all anyways.
Or when we played Florida in St Pete.

Or when we played Florida in St Pete.

i love how those are selectively called neutral court wins, but winning at MSG is a home game. Then again if you don't live in NYS it seems like the rest of the country thinks Syracuse is just a suburb of NYC. Maybe that has something to do with it?

I wasn't saying whether you have or haven't played a tougher schedule. I was simply pointing out that Syracuse doesn't have to play as many non-conference road games as many other schools, and that some results could turn out differently if you played more games on the road. If the media is giving JB crap about scheduling I think it could be warranted - dating back to the '07-'08 season, you've played 6 true non-conference road games (in 7 years). In that same time span we've played 15, and I think most major conference schools have probably played a similar number. Duke does the same (7 true non conference road games), they just don't get called on it because, well, they're Duke.

RPI, BPI, and Kenpom all rate Tennessee higher than St. Johns. Let me explain myself differently - I don't think a game for Syracuse in the Garden provides a true road test, and yes that's because the majority of the crowd was pro-Syracuse. In my count of road games above I did include the St. Johns game in the 6 over the last 7 years.
Quick question. does our win against Kansas at Kemper arena count as a road game or a neutral game? Also, how far is the Syracuse campus from MSG where we played St John's? I know that when we played Florida at St pete it was called a neutral site game.

Here's a quote from the St. John's game recap on espn.com:

What that article doesn't tell you is that the majority of that majority were St. John's fans when they walked in the door.

We're. Just. That. Good.

Not sure why UVA fans talking Home/Away crap when they tied for most home games last year with UNLV at 22 games. At least we have a good reason for playing a lot of home games (look at attendance of each schools home games).. Money pays the bills for us, UVA not so much..

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/m_basketball_RB/Reports/attend/2013.pdf

We hosted 3 NIT teams (insert jokes about UVA not making the tournament here . . . .). Take those out of the equation and we're right where everyone else is.

I see I've touched on a sore subject which I didn't mean to do. The point I was making was regarding being challenged in hostile environments. When I looked back at schedules I didn't see regular season games against Florida in St. Pete or Kansas in Kemper - I would certainly classify those as hostile environments (were those regular season or tournament games?). I also didn't say winning at MSG was a home game, I'm just saying when it's in the city which contains your highest alumni base, at an off campus arena, and the majority of the crowd is pro-Syracuse it's not going to be classified as a hostile environment.

Right or wrong, among us non-elite programs there's a perception that some teams, Syracuse being one, are hesitant to play many or any true out of conference road games. Years like 2010-2011 (no OOC road games) and this year (1 road game in the garden with a less than hostile crowd - is that better?) don't help with that perception.

We hosted 3 NIT teams (insert jokes about UVA not making the tournament here . . . .). Take those out of the equation and we're right where everyone else is.

I see I've touched on a sore subject which I didn't mean to do. The point I was making was regarding being challenged in hostile environments. When I looked back at schedules I didn't see regular season games against Florida in St. Pete or Kansas in Kemper - I would certainly classify those as hostile environments (were those regular season or tournament games?). I also didn't say winning at MSG was a home game, I'm just saying when it's in the city which contains your highest alumni base, at an off campus arena, and the majority of the crowd is pro-Syracuse it's not going to be classified as a hostile environment.

Right or wrong, among us non-elite programs there's a perception that some teams, Syracuse being one, are hesitant to play many or any true out of conference road games. Years like 2010-2011 (no OOC road games) and this year (1 road game in the garden with a less than hostile crowd - is that better?) don't help with that perception.

Who is everyone else?

There is perception that syracuse doesn't play anyone, and it is dead wrong.

This ain't making stuff up. Their fan base went into a category 10 meltdown about the amount of Syracuse fans there and the noise they were making. It was definitely a takeover.

If the media is giving JB crap about scheduling I think it could be warranted - dating back to the '07-'08 season, you've played 6 true non-conference road games (in 7 years). In that same time span we've played 15, and I think most major conference schools have probably played a similar number. Duke does the same (7 true non conference road games), they just don't get called on it because, well, they're Duke.

This gets so tired. It is just pitiful. What is our record in those 6 games? Did you include us playing Kansas in Kansas City, and handing them their first loss there since the 1970's? Did you include us playing Florida in Tampa (and yes beating them)? Did you include us having to play an NCAA Tournament game in San Jose against Cal (and... winning)? Did you include us playing San Diego State in San Diego (oh guess who won)?

Syracuse SOS Rank:
2012-2013: 7
2011-2012: 22
2010-2011: 29
2009-2010: 11
2008-2009: 7
2007-2008: 10
2006-2007: 46
2005-2006: 2

Yeah wow what hideously weak scheduling this program has.

The NC State game was originally brought up as a counter to my point about playing in MSG, where the majority of a crowd of 16,000+ was Syracuse fans. ("Dude we took over NCST last year. I guess that doesn't count as a rode game either.")
This gets so tired. It is just pitiful. What is our record in those 6 games? Did you include us playing Kansas in Kansas City, and handing them their first loss there since the 1970's? Did you include us playing Florida in Tampa (and yes beating them)? Did you include us having to play an NCAA Tournament game in San Jose against Cal (and... winning)? Did you include us playing San Diego State in San Diego (oh guess who won)?

Syracuse SOS Rank:
2012-2013: 7
2011-2012: 22
2010-2011: 29
2009-2010: 11
2008-2009: 7
2007-2008: 10
2006-2007: 46
2005-2006: 2

Yeah wow what hideously weak scheduling this program has.

Let me clear the air here - I don't think Syracuse has a weak schedule. I think you have a very, very good program. I'm referring to a perception that you don't play a lot of true OOC road games. With that being said, I absolutely consider Kansas in Kansas City or Florida in St. Pete to be hostile environments, so if I need to up my counts then I should. When were those games, I didn't see them when I was looking back? Regarding Cal and San Diego State, that's not really applicable as I'm talking about regular season games.

The NC State game was originally brought up as a counter to my point about playing in MSG, where the majority of a crowd of 16,000+ was Syracuse fans. ("Dude we took over NCST last year. I guess that doesn't count as a rode game either.")

Let me clear the air here - I don't think Syracuse has a weak schedule. I think you have a very, very good program. I'm referring to a perception that you don't play a lot of true OOC road games. With that being said, I absolutely consider Kansas in Kansas City or Florida in St. Pete to be hostile environments, so if I need to up my counts then I should. When were those games, I didn't see them when I was looking back? Regarding Cal and San Diego State, that's not really applicable as I'm talking about regular season games.

Yet you didn't think playing st johns at msg is a hostile environment, you do realize that it is their home arena right?

San Diego State was a reg season game last year.
Kansas in KC was 2008
Florida in Tampa was 2009

Yet you didn't think playing st johns at msg is a hostile environment, you do realize that it is their home arena right?
No, not when the game recap I quoted indicated the majority of fans there were Syracuse fans. I think MSG is a special circumstance for Syracuse given it is your school's largest alumni base and you're playing in an arena that sits at least 19,000 against a team that averages less than 8,000 in attendance for non-Syracuse games (i.e. tickets not hard to come by, easy opportunity for alumni and fans to see team without having to travel)

No, not when the game recap I quoted indicated the majority of fans there were Syracuse fans. I think MSG is a special circumstance for Syracuse given it is your school's largest alumni base and you're playing in an arena that sits at least 19,000 against a team that averages less than 8,000 in attendance for non-Syracuse games (i.e. tickets not hard to come by, easy opportunity for alumni and fans to see team without having to travel)

I was at the game, and when st johns was making their run in the 2nd half, the place was very loud.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom