Strength of Schedule | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Strength of Schedule

San Diego State was a reg season game last year.
Kansas in KC was 2008
Florida in Tampa was 2009
I stand corrected!! I'd absolutely consider the Florida and Kansas games hostile environments (and I still don't think @MSG against the Johnnies is the same as those two). I'm not sure how to classify a game on a ship :) (san diego state) . . .

Any Syracuse fan that considers @MSG vs Saint Johns a true road game is lying to themselves. There's a reason most on this board are foaming at the mouth to be the #1 seed in the MSG region.

I was at the game, and when st johns was making their run in the 2nd half, the place was very loud.

And I'll second that. Made a post at the time that I was surprised how loud it was and how many Johnnies fans showed up. Call it a home game, call it a road game, whatever. It was a hostile environment in my book.

That said, all this SOS talk is nothing but nickel and diming. Can't wait for this damn game to get here.

Any Syracuse fan that considers @MSG vs Saint Johns a true road game is lying to themselves. There's a reason most on this board are foaming at the mouth to be the #1 seed in the MSG region.

This times one hundred. We pride ourselves on being able to take over MSG and now because we want to defend our away games this year were going to say that it was a true road game? I agree, under the circumstances it was a true road game but it was closer to a neutral court game then a true away "hostile" environment which we could have played in.

This gets so tired. It is just pitiful. What is our record in those 6 games? Did you include us playing Kansas in Kansas City, and handing them their first loss there since the 1970's? Did you include us playing Florida in Tampa (and yes beating them)? Did you include us having to play an NCAA Tournament game in San Jose against Cal (and... winning)? Did you include us playing San Diego State in San Diego (oh guess who won)?

Syracuse SOS Rank:
2012-2013: 7
2011-2012: 22
2010-2011: 29
2009-2010: 11
2008-2009: 7
2007-2008: 10
2006-2007: 46
2005-2006: 2

Yeah wow what hideously weak scheduling this program has.

Yup. Plus the Big East in those years was basically a "super-conference". We played more tough conference road games in those years than any other non BE program in the country.

UVA playing BC: 1-0
Syracuse playing BC at home: 0-1

You guys really suck at this. I guess if that's all the ammo you have, that's the best you can do. Wow.

Can we just play Duke like 8 times a season? These other program's fans aren't even fun to go at it with.

Don't just make stuff up. From the espn recap of that game (I'm assuming you meant the game 2 years ago):

"At others, the Orange looked flustered and vulnerable against a hot-shooting opponent playing in front of a rowdy home crowd."

"We knew they were going to come out throwing punches and we had to be ready to throw punches back," Waiters said. "With the No. 1 team coming inside here, we knew it was going to be a hostile environment but we had to stick together as a unit, play together and do everything we usually do in practice."

"Rowdy home crowd" and "hostile environment" doesn't make it sound like your fans took over the place.

We watched the game. Did you?

while playing st johns at msg is certainly not a hostile enviornment, this year was a little different than previous years. st johns fans were very loud in the 2nd half, i remember the students going absolutely nuts when they took the lead. they treated that game like their super bowl.

Fwiw, the cumulative ACC record of our opponents right now is SU 125-138 and UVA 117-148.

in the past i'd be somewhat critical of our pre conference menu but this year i'd make no apologies for our OOC schedule. we swept thru maui and then beat st john's,nova and the hoosiers. all before our ACC debut. dookie vee and espn can't say we were hiding in NY eating cupcakes.

Honest question - does anyone here think that some of Syracuse's results may have been different if you'd actually played some true road games in the non-conference? If you don't count a game in the Garden as a road game, Syracuse didn't play a road game until early January. You didn't play a road game against a team as good as Tennessee or Green Bay until February against Pitt.

UVA: 2, so you've got us there I guess. I'm not sure if that's any more or less relevant than margin of victory vs. common opponents. If you could be bothered to look that up you'd find Syracuse on the wrong side of that ledger.

How many true non-conf road games did you guys play, one?

In case you haven't noticed, the better teams in the NCAA play in exempt tournaments in the pre-season against other elite and up-and-coming teams. We played plenty of good teams this year, some of whom later underperformed.

But if most years, you had an OOC schedule of Indiana, Villanova, St. John's, Baylor, Minnesota and Cal, most people would think that was a hell of a schedule. Most teams play maybe 3 or 4 schools of that caliber, not 6, in the preseason. How many top 100 teams have you guys played?

http://www.wolfpackforums.com/forum/showthread.php?1624-1-Syracuse

"20+ pt run for the Orange in the first half. I heard cheers. Where are our fans? Just goes to further prove that Raleigh is infested with Yankees. They've ruined the Wake County Schools now they are going after our Basketball games. F***in' Carpetbagging s!"

I was at this game and the syracuse fans there were far more boisterous than the NC State fans and we had to represent 40-50% of the attendance.

We watched the game. Did you?

No, but quotes from your own players indicated it was a hostile environment. I do believe though that in the midst of a 20-0 run I'm sure whatever Syracuse fans were there easily drowned out the home crowd. That's a testament to how your fans travel.

How many true non-conf road games did you guys play, one?

In case you haven't noticed, the better teams in the NCAA play in exempt tournaments in the pre-season against other elite and up-and-coming teams. We played plenty of good teams this year, some of whom later underperformed.

But if most years, you had an OOC schedule of Indiana, Villanova, St. John's, Baylor, Minnesota and Cal, most people would think that was a hell of a schedule. Most teams play maybe 3 or 4 schools of that caliber, not 6, in the preseason. How many top 100 teams have you guys played?

Depending on when you ask, we played either 5 or 6. Missouri State has been bouncing between 95-105, and is currently just above 100. Win or lose vs. Wichita State tomorrow they will likely be back to a top 100 team after the weekend.

I was at this game and the syracuse fans there were far more boisterous than the NC State fans and we had to represent 40-50% of the attendance.

NC State averages about 16,000 fans per game, and that game had 19,400. 40% would be over 7,000, and half would be almost 10,000. Given how the game went I'm sure the Syracuse fans were more boisterous, but I really doubt that for their biggest non conference home game in years there were 7,500+ Syracuse fans in that arena. I'd even believe 4,000 (23%), which by the way would be very impressive, but 7,500-10,000 seems like a stretch to me.

Let's see how many 'Cuse fans are in Charlottesville tomorrow - 7,500 would be over half the fans there (capacity is a little short of 15,000 I think). It's not that I don't think Syracuse fans wouldn't travel, I just don't think there were nearly that many tickets available.

No, but quotes from your own players indicated it was a hostile environment. I do believe though that in the midst of a 20-0 run I'm sure whatever Syracuse fans were there easily drowned out the home crowd. That's a testament to how your fans travel.

Depending on when you ask, we played either 5 or 6. Missouri State has been bouncing between 95-105, and is currently just above 100. Win or lose vs. Wichita State tomorrow they will likely be back to a top 100 team after the weekend.

NC State averages about 16,000 fans per game, and that game had 19,400. 40% would be over 7,000, and half would be almost 10,000. Given how the game went I'm sure the Syracuse fans were more boisterous, but I really doubt that for their biggest non conference home game in years there were 7,500+ Syracuse fans in that arena. I'd even believe 4,000 (23%), which by the way would be very impressive, but 7,500-10,000 seems like a stretch to me.

Let's see how many 'Cuse fans are in Charlottesville tomorrow - 7,500 would be over half the fans there (capacity is a little short of 15,000 I think). It's not that I don't think Syracuse fans wouldn't travel, I just don't think there were nearly that many tickets available.
You're ignorant and just politely starting shite.

You're ignorant and just politely starting shite.

How exactly am I ignorant? I've stated the following:

1) As a response to my position that playing St. John's at MSG isn't really a hostile environment for Syracuse (which some of your posters have backed up in this thread), someone sarcastically said "Dude we took over NCST last year. I guess that doesn't count as a rode game either." All I've said is yes, that is a road game in a hostile environment (which by the way is what one of your players said in the AP game recap).

2) I said that depending on how you look at it, we played 5 or 6 top 100 non conference teams.

3) I stated an opinion that I don't believe Syracuse fans made up 40-50% of the attendance at the NC State game. No, I was not at that game, but I have been to games when mediocre Virginia teams were playing there, and the place had at least 15,000 state fans. I just don't believe that when Syracuse came to town they could only get 10,000-12,000 of their home fans in the game.

I can't help it if you believe I'm here to start shite (I'm not). In a couple other threads I've tried to provide as much insight as I could on our team, and my expectations for how the game would go tomorrow when I was asked about it (while I do think we'll win, I laid out a couple easily feasible scenarios that could lead to Syracuse victories). But if you're going to call me ignorant I'd just like to know what it is that I'm so ignorant about.

It was a sold out and fired up crowd...on both sides. When State was playing well, they were going nuts. When Cuse pulled away and took over the game, the SU crowd sounded very loud on TV. Lots of Orange in the stands was very visible on TV too.

Hoo,
Yes, we as Cuse fans are very confident, and you may considered us arrogant. But we expect to win.

Here's why:
We expect today's game to be a defensive battle and a close game. And Cuse has done very well on the road in close games.
Here are some stats:
1) Last 5 years games decided by 6 or fewer points: Record: 33-12
2) Last 5 years true road games: Record: 36-10
3) Since 1996 Overtime games Record: 23-6
4) Last 5 years against ranked opponents Record: 35-15
5) We tend to play well in hostile environments. For example Louisville loss only 4 home games in the 2011-12 and 2012-13 seasons - 2 of those losses are to Cuse.
6) Cuse fans travel well and I expect a strong representation today. I'd be shocked if I don't hear a "Let's Go Orange!" chant over the TV today. And get off that MSG in NYC is a home game BS. The campuses of both Boston College and University of Maryland are closer to MSG than the Syracuse campus. Don't hold it against Cuse that their fans travel well.
7) Cuse has experience playing in high profile pressure - both Duke games this year, NCAA Elite 8 and FF last year, G'town last year, BET semis and finals last year. Including 3 ESPN college game days. When was the last time Virginia played in a BIG game?

Good luck today.
PS Most stats courtesy of orangehoops.org

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom