Student attendance | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Student attendance

It's really sad. We are playing exciting basketball, and we have a very likable team (really nice kids and no bad actors).

The recent attendance "promotions" (such as today's baby race) are of zero interest to the students. I hope the marketing department (which really has gotten much better since the arrival of Andrew Goodrich) can come up with some ideas to get more students there.

They had a student promotion for the women’s game this past week which gave Duke men’s basketball tickets to student’s who attended the SU women vs Duke game. Probably the largest number of students ever attending a women’s game to unfortunately see them lose.
They need to engage the students - let it be the student’s competing for something they value - like an SU hoodie for making a layup, free throw and a 3 point shot in 20 seconds and if they do that then a half court shot attempt for a semester free tuition. Make attendance for home games a prerequisite for the best student seats at Duke, UNC games etc. More games a student attends , the better seats they earn etc. Maybe some attendance competition between frats, sororities etc. Just be inventive and offer things students value - book store gift certificates. Cheer competitions whatever. It should be their team.

don’t get as many instate kids because the school cost 300 billion dollars a semester ( I looked it up it’s exactly 300 billion the internet doesn’t lie”. Most kids in the state are lucky enough to afford suny schooling.

It’s also incredibly hard for anyone that is outside of the immediate area of syracuse to justify buying season tickets being that it is the winter season...although this season has been completely fine, many others there would be several games you would miss day of because of weather and not being able to get to the game and because it’s last minute getting stuck with eating the tickets...so with that in mind many people outside of syracuse are going to buy singles when they can...
I made the decision six years ago because I was sick of chasing tickets for the big games. Best decision I ever made.

don’t get as many instate kids because the school cost 300 billion dollars a semester ( I looked it up it’s exactly 300 billion the internet doesn’t lie”. Most kids in the state are lucky enough to afford suny schooling.
And the SUNY system is such a great system no matter how hard Cuomo is trying to devalue it. Whoops!!! Wrong board.

Ticket prices are ridiculous. I love Syracuse but the fact that I’d be paying a quarter of the price of my football season tickets for one third level seat vs Pitt is stupid.

Exactly!! I’ll sit home and watch the game from the comfort of my house.

300 level seats should be $35 a piece
200 level seats should be $65 a piece
100 level seats should be $95 a piece
Student tickets should be $10 a piece

All of a sudden I bet the dome would be a lot less empty

However, Syracuse and other sports teams don’t care, they aren’t catering to the average fan. They don’t care how many people are in the stadium. All they care is that they are making money and that the suites and super premium tickets are being sold

This is just a hunch, but I don't think we can discount how much time younger people spend with their technology and engaging with the world on social media.

Agreed. That stuff used to be considered nerdy and something most people did to pass the time when there’s nothing else to do.

Now they stay home on purpose, get driving licenses later or not at all, and center their days around things they do with technology.

and long range viewing seats passed the 50 should be $5-10.

Just an FYI, the Duke student section isn't on the baseline. The student section is on the sideline across from the player benches. There are some grad students that sit in the baseline section near the visitor benches, but a vast majority of the seats you most likely saw empty were Iron Duke seats.

I worded it poorly. The tv side of the sideline seats were empty by the time you got towards the baseline.

Time to make the student tickets free. We play in an arena with virtually unlimited capacity and could have accommodated the entire undergrad student body if each of them showed up today.

Honestly we’re gonna have to do this eventually as all schools are going to do this and anyone charging students will be outliers as attendance declines across college sports. People who attend games and donate for good parking spots etc aren’t getting younger. TV product is too good. Why be behind the curve and one of the last to do it? They pay enough in tuition.

If the students who PAID for tickets came to all the games this would not even be a discussion point. "Free" just devalues everything. We would just end up with more empty seats reserved for students who have other priorities in their social lives than going to the Dome.

Bad weather? Put a jacket on and walk 5 minutes like the rest of the people going. Weather should not be an excuse for not being there. It’s not like they have to drive.

So you're saying that if someone like me can drive 75 miles through ice with a dozen cars off the road on I81N, someone should be able to walk the 5 minutes from Lawrinson to the same game?

It’s also incredibly hard for anyone that is outside of the immediate area of syracuse to justify buying season tickets being that it is the winter season...although this season has been completely fine, many others there would be several games you would miss day of because of weather and not being able to get to the game and because it’s last minute getting stuck with eating the tickets...so with that in mind many people outside of syracuse are going to buy singles when they can...

There were some pretty attractively priced partial season packages this year to help address that. Not sure we marketed those as aggressively as we could have with the focus on full seasons. With the data we are capturing now that should probably be a focus in the future.

If the students who PAID for tickets came to all the games this would not even be a discussion point. "Free" just devalues everything. We would just end up with more empty seats reserved for students who have other priorities in their social lives than going to the Dome.

Sad but probably very true. One help would be the ability of students to use their meal tickets at the dome. I know I asked a horde of freshman students who had free admission for a football game who were leaving the dome at half time why they were leaving - they said that they had to make the cafeteria before it closed. It was around 2pm on a Saturday. They said they hadn’t eaten breakfast , went straight to the dome for game time (noon) when lunch started and it closed by 3pm.

Sad but probably very true. One help would be the ability of students to use their meal tickets at the dome. I know I asked a horde of freshman students who had free admission for a football game who were leaving the dome at half time why they were leaving - they said that they had to make the cafeteria before it closed. It was around 2pm on a Saturday. They said they hadn’t eaten breakfast , went straight to the dome for game time (noon) when lunch started and it closed by 3pm.
they cant use meal swipes or campus cash at the dome? Thats something they allow at UB and everyone loves it

Great! I'll see you at the Wake Forest game. Verified resale tickets through cuse.com under $20 in the third level and under $30 first level end court!

Honestly, other than the marquis games there are ALWAYS very reasonably priced tickets available for home games.

Syracuse basketballs other major problem is their price point for basketball...$60+ in the third tier on the baseline? 150 for first tier?

that’s absurd, was considering going to the game yesterday but saw those prices and said, why pay that much when I can sit home and be comfortable.

and all of this is before paying $10+ for a beer in the dome.

people simply can only afford to go to one or two of these games a season at most now if they are lucky

don’t get me wrong nothing can compare to being inside a sports stadium for games...but all teams are going to find out real soon they are charging far too much and hopefully they realize sooner rather than later...otherwise all major sports are going to end up like NASCAR has with a handful of people in the stands.
I agree that the prices are ridiculous. Living out of town, I can only make it back for one or two games each year and I have started to question whether it is worth it to buy tickets for those one or two games because of the price. And there is nothing I like more than going to the Dome.

drove up from bethlehem pa and ice all the way from just outside binghamton to preble. at least 11 cars off the road,3 straddling the highway and 1 flipped with ambulance at the scene. drove at 35 mph. we did not see see any,not any plows or salt trucks until preble. there were plenty of troopers though attending to the cars in the ditches. we made it just before tipoff.----marek was worth the trip.

Are you 5? I just don't get birthday parties for adults. It's just a day.
Everyone’s different. In many cases friends or family insist on some type of celebration even if the birthday “boy” really doesn’t want it. I’m guessing that’s the case here. I tend to agree there’s a bit of narcissism in play when grown adults insist on having the spotlight. Seems more common with women but don’t quote me on that.

Everyone’s different. In many cases friends or family insist on some type of celebration even if the birthday “boy” really doesn’t want it. I’m guessing that’s the case here. I tend to agree there’s a bit of narcissism in play when grown adults insist on having the spotlight. Seems more common with women but don’t quote me on that.
Women definitely celebrate more. In my group, we all go out to dinner and have presents and cards. But when you have a decade birthday, a lot of people have parties. The older you get, the more you have to seize the day! I am having a party for my 70th and am quite pleased with the notion, Luckily, my birthday doesn’t coincide with basketball but if it did, my friends would know better than “make” me miss a game. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom