Student attendance | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Student attendance

Women definitely celebrate more. In my group, we all go out to dinner and have presents and cards. But when you have a decade birthday, a lot of people have parties. The older you get, the more you have to seize the day! I am having a party for my 70th and am quite pleased with the notion, Luckily, my birthday doesn’t coincide with basketball but if it did, my friends would know better than “make” me miss a game. :)

Oh I won’t be missing the game, I just won’t be in attendance at the Dome

I made the decision six years ago because I was sick of chasing tickets for the big games. Best decision I ever made.
Football IMHO is such a better value over Basketball (don't hate me, I love both sports). Sure if you do it hardcore on game day Saturday it is an all day time suck but you can get 6-7 games for about $20-35 a ticket.

Basketball pricing really needs to change. You have to have $15 tickets for up in the 300's

Football IMHO is such a better value over Basketball (don't hate me, I love both sports). Sure if you do it hardcore on game day Saturday it is an all day time suck but you can get 6-7 games for about $20-35 a ticket.

Basketball pricing really needs to change. You have to have $15 tickets for up in the 300's

Could not agree with this more.

Having a horrendous start to the year didn't help, but this is part of an ongoing theme in collegiate sports. Attendance continues to dwindle as technology has made it TOO easy and convenient to simply stay at home and watch in fantastic resolution.

Sit on your couch, drink and eat whatever you want, use the bathroom as much as you want and watch whatever game you want. All while in your favorite pair of sweatpants.

Tickets vs Wake Forest are affordable because Wake Forest is horrendous.

Tickets vs Wake Forest are affordable because Wake Forest is horrendous.
Then again tickets the next week against NCSU are cheap too. Meh

It's really sad. We are playing exciting basketball, and we have a very likable team (really nice kids and no bad actors).

The recent attendance "promotions" (such as today's baby race) are of zero interest to the students. I hope the marketing department (which really has gotten much better since the arrival of Andrew Goodrich) can come up with some ideas to get more students there.

This thought process is crazy to me, and back up what my thoughts are of the students in general. Why do they need anything other than basketball to come to the games? This is infuriating.

People forget ticket prices are different for different games. Plus for many of the games there are resale tickets available through the SU site that are pretty cheap.

I get why the organization prefers it, but dynamic pricing has been a sneaky-obnoxious trend from a fan's standpoint in the last decade or so.

As someone else noted, it was nice to know you could get into the Dome for $X for years, regardless of the game. I loved being able to go to Shea Stadium the day of and getting to pick among exactly four tiers of single-seat prices that were publicized back in March. It's more complicated now, and too often they seem to be sold out of the cheaper options.

Having a horrendous start to the year didn't help, but this is part of an ongoing theme in collegiate sports. Attendance continues to dwindle as technology has made it TOO easy and convenient to simply stay at home and watch in fantastic resolution.

Sit on your couch, drink and eat whatever you want, use the bathroom as much as you want and watch whatever game you want. All while in your favorite pair of sweatpants.

I think about it whenever I see something on ESPN Classic. Footage from ten years ago looks like trash compared to today. Footage from 20 years ago is practically unwatchable!

There's still nothing better than going to a big game with a great atmosphere. But if it's an average game with an average atmosphere, I can understand why people prefer to watch at home.

One thing for sure...the problem can't be proximity to the venue.
So what else could it be?
Obviously, many students don't feel it's worth their time and/or money to go.

If it's the money...then the question is... should it be an ordeal for students to get tickets?
(Checking prices...different prices for different games.
And the tickets may be viewed as relatively expensive...especially for games they want to attend.

So cut prices and give students tickets as part of their annual fee.
The loss in revenue can't be worth more than getting students back in the Dome.

I think about it whenever I see something on ESPN Classic. Footage from ten years ago looks like trash compared to today. Footage from 20 years ago is practically unwatchable!

There's still nothing better than going to a big game with a great atmosphere. But if it's an average game with an average atmosphere, I can understand why people prefer to watch at home.
I understand it, too, but they are missing out. There is nothing like cheering on your team with 15 or 25 or 30,000 fellow fans. The energy is intoxicating! Who needs alcohol? (Ha!) I love everything about attending the games. I love the walk up and back. I love the people I sit with. I love I get to spend time with my daughter. I love the frenzy and noise when the Dome gets going. I love that I get to feel like I’m DOING SOMETHING to help the team, rather than twitching on the sofa watching an away game and making sounds like a dying chicken.

The Dome is hard to get to, the weather often sucks, and the games are expensive. I understand all the reasons people don’t go. But for me, I feel lucky I can.

If it's the money...then the question is... should it be an ordeal for students to get tickets?
And the tickets may be viewed as relatively expensive...especially for games they want to attend.

And by the way...noon used to be a perfect game time.
Get up late...get breakfast...go to the game...and have the rest of the day to "study."

This thought process is crazy to me, and back up what my thoughts are of the students in general. Why do they need anything other than basketball to come to the games? This is infuriating.
It's all about promotions today. Why do you think every MLB team has a bat day and a cap day? And why do stores run special events? And why do other businesses give things to people who open new accounts? Why do restaurants run "happy hours" during otherwise slow times between lunch and dinner?

It's all about attracting bodies ... that's why. It's called marketing. People respond to the opportunity to get a little something extra for their bucks.

Last edited:
Maybe kids just don't like watching sports as much as others nothing wrong with that

It all comes down to costs. I've worked with former and current SU students within the last year who love the athletics. They don't attend the games because of the cost. The only thing that they could do is make student tickets free.

It's really sad. We are playing exciting basketball, and we have a very likable team (really nice kids and no bad actors).

The recent attendance "promotions" (such as today's baby race) are of zero interest to the students. I hope the marketing department (which really has gotten much better since the arrival of Andrew Goodrich) can come up with some ideas to get more students there.
Try not charging them more than a fiver for tickets. In the ancient history when I went at Manley, it was so cheap you would have been foolish not to go, even if you ended up sitting on the track that use to go around the court over the dirt floor. Heck I never missed a game when Bing and Boeheim were running the court, or after that either.
Also no harassment let them cheer the way they want. And maybe move them back to the side court rather than on the end forty feet from the game action. Not the worst seats its, where mine currently are, but totally disrespected the students when they were moved.

It all comes down to costs. I've worked with former and current SU students within the last year who love the athletics. They don't attend the games because of the cost. The only thing that they could do is make student tickets free.
I don't buy the "cost-keeps-them-away" argument. A combined football/basketballl season ticket package is $220. That works out to about $8.50 a game. They pay more than that for a beer or a pizza on a regular basis.

Last edited:
Try not charging them more than a fiver for tickets. In the ancient history when I went at Manley, it was so cheap you would have been foolish not to go, even if you ended up sitting on the track that use to go around the court over the dirt floor. Heck I never missed a game when Bing and Boeheim were running the court, or after that either.
Also no harassment let them cheer the way they want.
It's a different world than the Manley years. I loved the games there, too. Your student fees covered admission to all sports.

Once the move to the Dome was made, they started charging students separately for tickets.

Right or wrong, I don't think any sane person can expect that to change.

WRT the "cheering the way they want", again - it's a different world. Things aren't the same.
1580163250876.gif

I don't buy the "cost keeps them away" argument. A combined football/basketballl season ticket package is $220. That works out to about $8.50 a game. They pay more than that for a beer or a pizza on a regular basis.
Well if their choice is beer and pizza or going to a game many will pick the former. You really should not expect otherwise. Most students,
It's a different world than the Manley years. I loved the games there, too. Your student fees covered admission to all sports.

Once the move to the Dome was made, they started charging students separately for tickets.

WRT the "cheering the way they want", again - it's a different world. Things aren't the same. View attachment 175922

I do not believe are exactly flush with excess cash, and those who are usually care not about sports.

WRT the "cheering the way they want", again - it's a different world. Things aren't the same. View attachment 175922
That's the truth. I am sure drop in attendance by students is not caused by a single issue, but you need to attack that issue on several fronts, assuming you have any desire to change that scenario. I fail to see where SU has attempted to effect a change in this in any way, and in fact has contributed to it in several ways. That is just my opinion.
Someone else said they doubt cost is an issue, and it certainly would not be for most of us, however our situations are much different than the average students. I think if you are talking about getting the numbers back up cost is definitely an issue for them.

Someone else said they doubt cost is an issue, and it certainly would not be for most of us, however our situations are much different than the average students. I think if you are talking about getting the numbers back up cost is definitely an issue for them.
Truly, I don't think cost is an issue for most (notice I didn't say "all"). $220 buys a student ticket to all BB and FB home games.

That is approximately 0.3% of the cost of tuition and R&B.

It costs $65k to go to SU. the price of the ticket has absolutely nothing to do with student attendance.

Truly, I don't think cost is an issue for most (notice I didn't say "all"). $220 buys a student ticket to all BB and FB home games.

That is approximately 0.3% of the cost of tuition and R&B.

Nice cherry picking one comment, I did not say it is the only issue, only that it is an issue for some if not many, and that we are in no position to gauge how big a factor it may be.

It costs $65k to go to SU. the price of the ticket has absolutely nothing to do with student attendance.
Okay supreme arbitor, you have convinced me now figure out what the reasons are.

Okay supreme arbitor, you have convinced me now figure out what the treasons are.

Apathy due to the team not being all that the past several years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom