SU 64 vs S Dakota St 75: Mon Mar 25, 7 PM [NCAA 2nd Rd] TV: ESPN | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

SU 64 vs S Dakota St 75: Mon Mar 25, 7 PM [NCAA 2nd Rd] TV: ESPN

I find Q coached teams very hard to watch. They are consistently terrible on defense and the offense is a bunch of poor shooters taking bad 3s. Tiana is really good but played 1 on 5 the last 5 minutes.

I wish her a great career in the pros.

It will be interesting to see who plays PG next year, Lewis looked really overmatched there this season.

He’s not a very good coach, IMO. This team has Top 10 talent. Maybe Top 5.

Tiana is a junior - redshirt, I know - am I missing something? Is she definitely leaving early?

IMO, they actually got worse as the season went on. This is what happens when you play as many players as Q did this year. No chemistry whatsoever. And when you rely heavily on 3 point shooting. What happens when players aren’t shooting well? They have to get better and more physical in the paint. Also, I think Q should have played a lot more of Sissoko and Engstler. I know Sissoko got the knee injury midway through the year, and Engstler had trouble with her grades, but they need to be getting more minutes than they have this year, next year. Don’t even get me started on that defense— it has got to improve substantially if they want another shot at a national title. Maybe Vorakova will add length that we need to actually play an effective 2-3 zone (and/or anyone else they have coming in next year from over seas). I feel like if these areas are improved, they can be an even better team next year.

no worries, we won't see ya again unless the men tap out on the tournament next year :rolleyes:

I'm sure Q will wish that he could get a do over for the last four or five minutes. If it was a JAB press conference, he would say they made shots and we didn't. Like you said, they took a lot of bad 3's. All were rushed and they really panicked. Too bad, cause Tiana is a great player but it wasn't her or her teammates best ball. All in all, still a success numbers wise but obviously they wished they were still advancing and not going home.

They seemed to lack consistent focus, a killler instinct, and would play in spurts during games. I was disappointed how they really didn’t share the ball this game. I actually thought Lewis played fairly well early in the game when Q took Tiana out in the 1st half. Hope they have someone to work with our bigs- the French girls and that Emily Engstler works on her conditioning. Our rebounding has been poor all season and hope the freshman pick up the pace and toughness underneath next year. Good year but sad they didn’t play well now but they seemed to make it a habit to let up and allow teams back into games and rely on turning it on again. It was bound to catch-up with them. Tiana was so much fun to watch this year that I sure wish it ended a little better at the end but what a year she had!

They seemed to lack consistent focus, a killler instinct, and would play in spurts during games. I was disappointed how they really didn’t share the ball this game. I actually thought Lewis played fairly well early in the game when Q took Tiana out in the 1st half. Hope they have someone to work with our bigs- the French girls and that Emily Engstler works on her conditioning. Our rebounding has been poor all season and hope the freshman pick up the pace and toughness underneath next year. Good year but sad they didn’t play well now but they seemed to make it a habit to let up and allow teams back into games and rely on turning it on again. It was bound to catch-up with them. Tiana was so much fun to watch this year that I sure wish it ended a little better at the end but what a year she had!
I felt we were taken out of our game early. SDS did a good job of throwing us off,, and we never really recovered. We had moments, but they kept up and executed their game strategy very well. I do think this was a touch of Coach Q being out coached as far as game strategy went. Everyone seemed a half step off all night. There was that one 2 minute stretch at the beginning of the 4Q. That was our team. Really good ball movement. Good defense resulted in 4 quick turnovers. They called a time out, and we came out more flat footed again.

I felt we were taken out of our game early. SDS did a good job of throwing us off,, and we never really recovered. We had moments, but they kept up and executed their game strategy very well. I do think this was a touch of Coach Q being out coached as far as game strategy went. Everyone seemed a half step off all night. There was that one 2 minute stretch at the beginning of the 4Q. That was our team. Really good ball movement. Good defense resulted in 4 quick turnovers. They called a time out, and we came out more flat footed again.
my thoughts as well, this was not the team I watched all season. Oh well, on to next year. Grateful to have seen Tiana play for the past two years, I remember when the men's team used to have a point guard that could slash through the defense and run an uptempo game. Tonight was not her night but this loss is in the coaches lap IMO.

I see some folks who don't know the players names showing up in the women's bball thread with lots opinions. For a minute I thought I was in the men's bball forum.

Actually no, you knew it wasn't the men's basketball forum because the SU coach in this case vowed to improve his coaching.

Actually no, you knew it wasn't the men's basketball forum because the SU coach in this case vowed to improve his coaching.
please provide more details. I don't recall this topic ever up for discussion in the women's basketball thread.

oh, I thought you were talking about prior to today's game given the context of your post.

Great season, disappointing end to it. Looking forward to next year

No worries, I probably wasn’t clear.

Good to see some Q-mility though.

Believe I’ve heard that from Dino too.

Good quality for a coach.

SDS is a very good team. They only lost by 8 to Oregon early in the season and 6 points to Baylor. Our strategy seemed to center on keeping their star Miller from scoring big like she usually does holding her to 11 points. It worked but they weren’t a one person team and Miller to her credit kept the ball moving and helped with rebounding (10) and assists (5). They were a well balanced team against us. Was Tiana sick? She only played 11 minutes in the first half and sat out 2 minutes in the 2nd half. Wonder if it was a strategic move to keep her fresh for the second half and bolster confidence since we had a small lead at halftime without her for more than an entire quarter?

I think next year with further development of our tall freshman inside, we hopefully will be improved there but with the loss of Miranda and Tiana, we have big shoes to fill at the guard spots.

Here's how to tell the difference:
  • Women's BB - coach plays too many players
  • Men's BB - coach plays too few players
Easy peasy.
HA! Funny feeling you were referring to me with the “bag it” comment? I actually invest my time in watching the sports that I comment on. I mean, I may not comment after every game, but I do know ALL of the players names. Also, I don’t only watch when/because they’re in the NCAA tournament like *cough cough* some people;)

HA! Funny feeling you were referring to me with the “bag it” comment? I actually invest my time in watching the sports that I comment on. I mean, I may not comment after every game, but I do know ALL of the players names. Also, I don’t only watch when/because they’re in the NCAA tournament like *cough cough* some people;)

I think you meant to respond to me. And I was definitely not referring to you.

That's what I'm talking about. You don't schedule 4-5 games all on the same day at the same time and only show one on ESPN and the other games are streamed.

Thought Q should have called TO's to stop momentum and not saved them. Add to that, the Aussie playing 1 on 5 for 3 to 5 possessions in a row with no one else even touching the ball and boom...game over.

Good year ladies and thanks for the excitement. Can't wait for next year and good luck to those who are moving on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom