SU 86, Duke 50: Sun, Jan 3, 1:00 PM #200 for Q | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

SU 86, Duke 50: Sun, Jan 3, 1:00 PM #200 for Q

My problem is that I think they all deserve their own forum. All these kids work hard. They all deserve us as fans to follow them through the season. The reality is that two years ago there wasn't even an Olympic forum. The WBB and WLax would just show up as threads mixed in the mens' forums. The other sports were ignored on here. I know as I was the one who suggested this forum and OrangeXtreme and I are the ones that maintain it. So for now some progress is better than no progress.
Good points CuseLegacy. You and OrangeXtreme have done more than any two people on the planet to promote SU women's basketball and lacrosse and I am sure llandz isn't blaming you.

From my perspective, setting up new boards for sports when there perhaps isn't adequate interest/discussion to justify this can be counter productive.

It makes it harder for people to follow what is going on for these sports. Boards that are almost empty/have little discussion traffic going on don't really reflect well on the programs that boards are being set up to follow.

Here is the history of the board:

There was no decent Syracuse board. Syracuse fans happened upon a well run board for UConn fans in the week before a big SU-UConn basketball game back around 2000. After the game was played, the SU fans stayed because the board was well run and promoted intelligent discussion about SU sports.

Fishy and temery created a basketball board for Syracuse. That was the start of this web site.

When there was sufficient interest expressed in football (that means the football fans were making the basketball fans unhappy because they were posting about football too much on the basketball board), a football board was added.

The same thing eventually happened for men's lacrosse.

Later, recruiting boards for basketball and football were established for the same reason. Later still, enough people started wanting to discuss Olympic sports that we added a board for it.

You have my guarantee that when the day comes that we get steady discussion about other SU sports, we will act on it and create more boards. Right now, CuseLegacy and @OrangeExtreme are 'seeding the clouds' for all these sports with all the links to relevant content out there on the Internet. They are doing a great job at it and I think are providing a terrific service to fans of these sports, both hard core fans and casual ones who have some interest and want to know more about what is going on.

We think this is the best way to handle the situation and we will continue to monitor traffic and discussion levels for all SU Olympic sports in the future...

I

My problem is that I think they all deserve their own forum. All these kids work hard. They all deserve us as fans to follow them through the season. The reality is that two years ago there wasn't even an Olympic forum. The WBB and WLax would just show up as threads mixed in the mens' forums. The other sports were ignored on here. I know as I was the one who suggested this forum and OrangeXtreme and I are the ones that maintain it. So for now some progress is better than no progress.

If it wasn't for the work that you, Orange79, and I do every week, there would have been only TWO posts started on Women's Basketball since September.
  • A post from jr4750 announcing a new verbal commitment
  • A post from Cali asking if there were any verbals
20 threads total in 4 months. That's like renting a storage locker the size of the IPF to store a card table.

Some day it'll get there...

A few thoughts off the top of my head:

1). We can add women's basketball to the meta tags.
2). Add a tab or link under forums to - http://syracusefan.com/forums/olympic-sports.47/?prefix_id=28
3). I'm willing to pay for ads until March, as long as there is interest.
4). A Facebook page pointing to the link above couldn't hurt.

Last thought before I head out to a doctor's appt - I agree with Tom that an empty board would do more harm than good., but I'm open to pretty much anything as long as there is interest.

FWIW - below is the avg number of google searches per month:

135,000 - Syracuse basketball
74,000 - Syracuse football
14,800 - Syracuse lacrosse
2,900 - Syracuse men's basketball
1,600 - Syracuse women's basketball

Good points CuseLegacy. You and OrangeXtreme have done more than any two people on the planet to promote SU women's basketball and lacrosse and I am sure llandz isn't blaming you.

From my perspective, setting up new boards for sports when there perhaps isn't adequate interest/discussion to justify this can be counter productive.

It makes it harder for people to follow what is going on for these sports. Boards that are almost empty/have little discussion traffic going on don't really reflect well on the programs that boards are being set up to follow.

Here is the history of the board:

There was no decent Syracuse board. Syracuse fans happened upon a well run board for UConn fans in the week before a big SU-UConn basketball game back around 2000. After the game was played, the SU fans stayed because the board was well run and promoted intelligent discussion about SU sports.

Fishy and temery created a basketball board for Syracuse. That was the start of this web site.

When there was sufficient interest expressed in football (that means the football fans were making the basketball fans unhappy because they were posting about football too much on the basketball board), a football board was added.

The same thing eventually happened for men's lacrosse.

Later, recruiting boards for basketball and football were established for the same reason. Later still, enough people started wanting to discuss Olympic sports that we added a board for it.

You have my guarantee that when the day comes that we get steady discussion about other SU sports, we will act on it and create more boards. Right now, CuseLegacy and @OrangeExtreme are 'seeding the clouds' for all these sports with all the links to relevant content out there on the Internet. They are doing a great job at it and I think are providing a terrific service to fans of these sports, both hard core fans and casual ones who have some interest and want to know more about what is going on.

We think this is the best way to handle the situation and we will continue to monitor traffic and discussion levels for all SU Olympic sports in the future...

I

A few thoughts off the top of my head:

1). We can add women's basketball to the meta tags.
2). Add a tab or link under forums to - http://syracusefan.com/forums/olympic-sports.47/?prefix_id=28
3). I'm willing to pay for ads until March, as long as there is interest.
4). A Facebook page pointing to the link above couldn't hurt.

Last thought before I head out to a doctor's appt - I agree with Tom that an empty board would do more harm than good., but I'm open to pretty much anything as long as there is interest.

FWIW - below is the avg number of google searches per month:

135,000 - Syracuse basketball
74,000 - Syracuse football
14,800 - Syracuse lacrosse
2,900 - Syracuse men's basketball
1,600 - Syracuse women's basketball

I like the link under the forums tab to the Olympic forum. I like that as it points out the entire forum not just one sport on there. Unfortunately we are just not at the point yet to make WBB and WLax separate forums interest wise. The truth is that this board is MBB and FB driven and that is a reflection of the interests of the fanbase.

I like the link under the forums tab to the Olympic forum. I like that as it points out the entire forum not just one sport on there. Unfortunately we are just not at the point yet to make WBB and WLax separate forums interest wise. The truth is that this board is MBB and FB driven and that is a reflection of the interests of the fanbase.

The WBB team should crack the top 25 in the next rankings. If they stay there for a while, there will be interest.

The WBB team should crack the top 25 in the next rankings. If they stay there for a while, there will be interest.
That interest may be there, but only as long as the women's team is ranked and likely only until the men's team improves. If this is the case, would you then move the women's basketball forum back under the Olympic sports tab?

I have also been a huge supporter of the women's program. I just drove 5 hours to Vegas to see them and also hosted them in AZ, and had over 60 alum attend that game 2 days after Xmas 2 years ago. I am thrilled to see that this is here, and that CuseLegacy and OrangeXtreme have been steadily posting and keeping this up. You can see that for certain games I have been fairly actively posting also. I guess I can admit the general interest probably is not there. It took me a long long time to find this here under the "olympic" sports section. I was posting under the men's program about the women when someone pointed this out to me. I was thinking more along the lines that if it was easy to find then the interest might come with it. Here I am one of the bigger donors of the women's program having named a locker( I have Slim using my named locker) in my mom's memory this year, and these girls are doing such a phenomenal job, and there is so little traffic here. Would another possibility be to put a pinned post at the top of the men's basketball page and the men's lax page that let's people know that they can find the women teams in the "Olympic" sports section? And I agree that all of the sports have been amazing and deserve some recognition, and am glad we have the "olympic" sports section. But once again women's college and pro basketball has become a much more prominent sport than most of those others. And the fact is our team is arriving at the top of this sport. I have to tell you that our current freshman are incredible and will keep this trend going when the Bris and Brits and other Srs and Jrs are gone. The future is looking very bright here.
I never meant to make anyone feel that they were not doing a good enough job. I am just passionate about the women, and am trying to bring others along on the ride with me...I have been in the chat room for a men's game when the women are playing, and have seen how the fire starts to catch on, and on a couple of occasions we all stayed on and followed the women's game together. So I have seen the interest is out there on syracusefan.

Now to speak about the top 20, I was looking at that yesterday and it is pretty amazing that we ever dropped out. We lost to 3 teams that are all ranked teams. Two were on the road to very higly ranked teams. One was at home to ASU, the only one that was a sizeable loss, and that is when we were dropped (and I believe ASU was at the time ranked below us). I then analyzed some of the other 3 loss teams that are ranked and they all had much worse losses or comparable losses to ours. We really should be ranked about 16-18th at this point. We were ranked for several weeks before that drop off. But we never were able to take that step with the top top teams until yesterday. And I think they did more than just take a step, they ran many steps over Duke. Will be interesting to see where we end up in the rankings.

Paul Schwedelson ‏@pschweds 29m29 minutes ago
After smoking then-No. 12 Duke by 36 points on ESPNU, Syracuse women's basketball (11-3) doesn't crack AP Top 25.

Paul Schwedelson ‏@pschweds 30m30 minutes ago
Syracuse receives the most votes of any team not in the Top 25, though.

Wow. A total lack of respect. Seriously!!!

What if we renamed the board:

"Olympic and Women's Sports"?

-or-

"Women's and Olympic Sports"?

I like it. I think Olympic and Women's Sports has a little better flow but either is great.

It is. But it does not change how good we are, just the perception. When we are watching them in the sweet 16 or the elite 8 we will have the last laugh!! Just feel bad for the girls for the lack of respect for all of their hard work.

This is my third year being a season ticket holder for the women basketball team, and my first post on this forum. I've followed the program since the mid-1980s and I read this board daily. Congrats to Coach Hillsman on his 200th win, and to the coaching staff and the players on the great win over Duke! It was a pleasure to watch.

The polls are a joke. In reference to what llandz stated earlier in this thread, our 3 losses were at Tennessee (which was ranked #4 at that time), at Maryland (which was ranked #5) and at home to Arizona State (which was 24th, and as llandz correctly stated, ranked below us). Last week's USA Today polls before the game Sunday had Duke ranked #12, which was higher than Tennessee (#16) and Arizona State (#21). I guess a 36 point victory over a team ranked higher than 2 of the three teams we lost to isn't worthy of a top 25 ranking. Amazing.

GO ORANGE! Keep proving the nay-sayers wrong!

This is my third year being a season ticket holder for the women basketball team, and my first post on this forum. I've followed the program since the mid-1980s and I read this board daily. Congrats to Coach Hillsman on his 200th win, and to the coaching staff and the players on the great win over Duke! It was a pleasure to watch.

The polls are a joke. In reference to what llandz stated earlier in this thread, our 3 losses were at Tennessee (which was ranked #4 at that time), at Maryland (which was ranked #5) and at home to Arizona State (which was 24th, and as llandz correctly stated, ranked below us). Last week's USA Today polls before the game Sunday had Duke ranked #12, which was higher than Tennessee (#16) and Arizona State (#21). I guess a 36 point victory over a team ranked higher than 2 of the three teams we lost to isn't worthy of a top 25 ranking. Amazing.

GO ORANGE! Keep proving the nay-sayers wrong!
Hello. Welcome to the forum and please keep posting.

Welcome KB. I live in Arizona or else I would be at the games. I was lucky to see them at the 2 games in Las Vegas!! I do plan on coming back east next winter for both a men's and a women's game. I also may travel this year to the NCAA women's tourney for one of the rounds if it is anywhere within a 2 hour flight of me.
I WILL be in Syracuse in August to attend the fundraiser for Dan Johnson. I also usually come back in October for meetings at SU as I am the alumni club President in Arizona.
Would be nice to meet you and some others on here I have not met yet. I have met a lot of posters at the Fine tailgate in the past.
We are building a nice group of women here also, which is nice since being a female sports fan often places me in a minority in the world.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom