SU and SJU agree to home and home | Syracusefan.com

SU and SJU agree to home and home

so, that would be one game at the Garden and one at Carnesecca Arena, right?

By home and home, I hope that means every year at the garden, and every other year our fans agree to not embarrass the johnnies by selling out the place.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

St. John’s Athletic Communications

St. John’s, Syracuse Announce Continuation Of 100-Year Rivalry Through 2014-15
Orange to visit The Garden in 2013-14, Red Storm to travel to the Carrier Dome in 2014-15.

QUEENS, N.Y. (Jan. 30, 2013)St. John’s and Syracuse have announced in a joint statement a home-and-home men’s basketball series that will feature a game at Madison Square Garden and a contest in the Carrier Dome over the next two seasons.

Syracuse will meet St. John’s at Madison Square Garden on Dec. 14, 2013, while the Red Storm will visit the Carrier Dome the following season on a date to be determined.

“The St. John's-Syracuse rivalry is one of the classic matchups in college basketball. Generations of our fans have looked forward to this battle each year and we are thrilled that the two programs will continue to play the next two seasons,” said Chris Monasch, St. John’s Director of Athletics.

“St. John’s and Syracuse are two of the storied programs in NCAA history, both with top 10 numbers in overall victories and winning percentage. The Johnnies and Cuse rivalry is now more than a century old and deserves to continue,” said St. John’s head coach Steve Lavin. “We are pleased to extend the series, with a date set for our home court at Madison Square Garden next season, and a 2014-15 meeting at the Carrier Dome, two of the great venues in college basketball.”

Syracuse is the fifth-winningest program all-time with 1,862 victories; St. John’s is seventh with 1,750. Syracuse has the seventh-best winning percentage all-time at .693; St. John’s is 10th at .655. The two schools have 62 NCAA Tournament appearances between them (Syracuse 35, 8th; STJ 27, T-18th) in 216 combined seasons on the hardwood (Syracuse 111, STJ 105). Both programs were original members of the BIG EAST Conference. Syracuse will move to the Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC) in 2013-14.

The Feb. 10, 2013, meeting at the Carrier Dome (3 p.m., ESPN) will be the 87th between the Red Storm and Orange in a series that dates back to 1912, making Syracuse the Johnnies’ seventh-most played opponent in school history. The Orange holds a 49-37 edge in the series and a 35-20 advantage in BIG EAST play having won seven-straight contests.

“There are traditional series that are very important to us that go beyond conference affiliations,” said Dr. Daryl Gross, Director of Athletics at Syracuse. “One of those is St John’s, which has an obvious place in Syracuse basketball history. As we continue to aggressively secure rivalries that are dear to us, we are pleased to announce the continuation of this great series between two outstanding universities.”

“The rivalry with St. John’s has been one of the strongest for our program,” said Syracuse Hall of Fame coach Jim Boeheim. “We had some great games when I was in school and the series continued to grow with Coach [Lou] Carnesecca at St. John’s right up to today with Coach Lavin. Playing in Madison Square Garden is always a special event for Syracuse and for our fans in New York City. It will be great that our fans in Central New York will have the chance to see St. John’s in the Dome the following year.”

– Red Storm –

Games at MSG really will be an "orange fest" because there will be no games at RU, SHU, PC or UConn... for metro NYC fans to attend. Aside from whatever pre-season thing we do, it will likely be our only game in metro NYC. I foresee huge crowds

I'm just happy someone got Daryl to refer to something as "dear to us."

Games at MSG really will be an "orange fest" because there will be no games at RU, SHU, PC or UConn... for metro NYC fans to attend. Aside from whatever pre-season thing we do, it will likely be our only game in metro NYC. I foresee huge crowds

It's almost always a sellout anyway. And if SJU continues to improve, SJU fans will come out too. Problem is that Cuse fans always buy the tickets for that game ASAP and snatch them up. It's good for both teams though.

It's almost always a sellout anyway. And if SJU continues to improve, SJU fans will come out too. Problem is that Cuse fans always buy the tickets for that game ASAP and snatch them up. It's good for both teams though.

I was surprised to see that SJU's historical attendance figures are so low...whether your team is good or not.

Really excited to keep the rivalry going. Sure we will establish new rivalries, but being a Cuse fan from Queens, I get to torture my friends a little while longer.

Who's next? :)

I never got why these series are called "home and home". Why not "home and away"? wouldn't "We have a home and away series vs. SJU" make sense? Home and home sounds like 2 home games for yourself.

Just a pet peeve of mine. Kind of like how they started calling the NCAAT round of 64 the "second round"... smh Oh Lord

Expanding on my first though, I just thought of this, philosoraptor-style. What would it be called if both games were scheduled at the Dome? A home and away? What!

FYI, Dec. 14 is a Sunday. I expect an early game, 1 or 2 p. m.

Expanding on my first though, I just thought of this, philosoraptor-style. What would it be called if both games were scheduled at the Dome? A home and away? What!
True dat, confusing title. We all now know what it means, wasn't hard to get, but still, just counterintuitive to start.

Oh by the way, you've got some catching up to do. This scenario is actually called an away and away.

Oh by the way, you've got some catching up to do. This scenario is actually called an away and away.
So Cuse and SJU schedule 2 games at the dome over the next 2 seasons. SJU calls it an "away and away"
and SU calls it a "home and home"? What mate!

So, after reading the SJU release, it seems that this is only a 2 year deal. You would think that a series so 'dear to us' might warrant a longer deal.

So Cuse and SJU schedule 2 games at the dome over the next 2 seasons. SJU calls it an "away and away"
and SU calls it a "home and home"? What mate!
No, they both call it an away and away. Only kidding :)

St Johns at the Dome in OCC is a step up from the usual competition.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CB277777

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom