SU and UConn set to play at MSG this year | Page 14 | Syracusefan.com

SU and UConn set to play at MSG this year

My point exactly.

Here you are worrying about "crushing the soul" of a fan base of a team we no longer are in a Conference with.

What's the point of that?

So stop all this nonsense about SOS. You haven't shifted gears yet and it's now been a couple of years.

Yeah, it's almost as if college sports are "fun" and "irrational."

When football revenues were down a few years ago, Basketball added home games to try and offset these revenue shortfalls. This game vs. UConn is about Money.

JB gets that his team is the horse that's pulling the money wagon for the SU Athletic Department. So, he probably wouldn't object.
Every game we play is about money. Every one. We needed another game against a quality team away from the Dome. This is as good as any.

You still haven't explained how it adversely affects the program if we play uconn.

To the extent that there were better alternatives available. But I doubt that with the $$$ in mind, the Athletic Department really looked at the whole set of possibilities.

Besides, your comment about "crushing their souls" shows that you are one of the people who are who are still worried about playing and beating our ex-conference rivals. Check your calendar. it's 2016.

To the extent that there were better alternatives available. But I doubt that with the $$$ in mind, the Athletic Department really looked at the whole set of possibilities.

Besides, your comment about "crushing their souls" shows that you are one of the people who are who are still worried about playing and beating our ex-conference rivals. Check your calendar. it's 2016.

I see a lot of words here, but nothing that really forms a coherent argument.

... And yeah. I guess I am stuck in the past. I'll wear that badge proudly.

Every game we play is about money. Every one. We needed another game against a quality team away from the Dome. This is as good as any.

No. Although there is money involved in every game, few are so blatantly a money grab as this one. As with almost everything there are degrees.

What's next. corporate sponsorship on uniforms like in European football?

... And yeah. I guess I am stuck in the past. I'll wear that badge proudly.

Confession is good for the soul.

After all that smoke, you finally owned up to seeing this as a semi-official Big East game. Exactly as I said.

I see a lot of words here, but nothing that really forms a coherent argument.

Now that you have admitted why you are interested in playing this game, you can drop the your request for "coherent" arguments. Coherent arguments are very useful against your emotional motivation on this.

Like what better alternatives? Tell me who would schedule us to play a neutral court game at MSG and who would excite the fan base like UCONN? You seem like the only person in Syracuse who isn't excited about this game...

Like what better alternatives? Tell me who would schedule us to play a neutral court game at MSG and who would excite the fan base like UCONN? You seem like the only person in Syracuse who isn't excited about this game...

I suspect that any SU game at MSG would draw a big SU crowd. It always has.

I think it does excite the fan base, particularly those who still wish we were in the Old Big East or who wishing we could keep a rivalry like the ones we used to have and that we do not now have.

But I thought the idea behind the OOC part of the schedule was to prepare for the season and to play enough quality teams so that at least we were not disadvantaged in the Tournament Selection process.

This game won't hurt us, but I'd as soon divorce ourselves from these old Big East rivals and move on with life.

And I'm in Bethesda - Chevy Chase, not Syracuse.

This thread about playing UConn now has over 300 replies. That right there is evidence enough that this is still very much a rivalry.

Oh there's residual bad feelings between the two fan bases, but that's not what this thread has been about,

I h ave friends that would like to bomb the crap out of Hanoi tomorrow. The past dies hard.

everybody needs to chill. we just beat these guys in a sanctioned year on a neutral court with a bunch of frosh. now they bring in a mitey-mite guard with a bad shoulder and a big guy with two acl surgeries. and they lose their best player, who hired and agent and won't be drafted. brimah couldn't even beg someone to work out for them. if we lose an early season game to Rodney purvis and the three stooges, it won't be much worse than the st. johns loss this year. and we ended up in a final four. bring them on I say, we have better players, a better coach, a better MSG fanbase, and we are going to win.

everybody needs to chill. we just beat these guys in a sanctioned year on a neutral court with a bunch of frosh. now they bring in a mitey-mite guard with a bad shoulder and a big guy with two acl surgeries. and they lose their best player, who hired and agent and won't be drafted. brimah couldn't even beg someone to work out for them. if we lose an early season game to Rodney purvis and the three stooges, it won't be much worse than the st. johns loss this year. and we ended up in a final four. bring them on I say, we have better players, a better coach, a better MSG fanbase, and we are going to win.
Now that's the spirit! That is what I'm talking about right there. Enjoy the game, take the top 100 or better win for your tourney resume and have some fun in Manhattan in the process. And should you lose despite all the obvious advantages listed by orangehomer it shouldn't end up being a bad loss (at least I hope).

Now that's the spirit! That is what I'm talking about right there. Enjoy the game, take the top 100 or better win for your tourney resume and have some fun in Manhattan in the process. And should you lose despite all the obvious advantages listed by orangehomer it shouldn't end up being a bad loss (at least I hope).
Gilbert was like plan C or D for us.

this thread is waaayy too long for me to start reading, but I get the feeling that people are NOT excited for this game...and i cant figure out why.

we need to play MSG as much as possible, playing them just adds to the experience.

they travel well there, the game will be sold out which always adds to the fun, and likely 60-40 Cuse.

unlike the Johnnie game which was 50 Cuse- 20 st johns and 30 empty seats.

are people uspet this is not at the Dome??

are we upset because they are now a mid??

I don't get it.

Gilbert was like plan C or D for us.
Yes clearly I would think so. You don't want short guards at the top of your zone defensively. They work quite well for our man schemes though.

Games like this one keep a lot of fans around. Ever since the move to the ACC, I personally know a few fans who barely watch anymore. They just aren't interested in Syracuse being an ACC team. Obviously, they are not the best fans like most of us, but they are the fans that make up those opposing arenas we occasionally take over. They are the fans who go to Cuse once a year, buy tickets, buy some merchandise and stay involved in Syracuse University. We lose too many of these fans, we are just another program. I can tell them the Big East is dead, ACC is the future, etc... but they don't care, they just want to play geographically relevant teams that we have a history with, and I get that. Who wouldn't???

Growing up in CT, all your friends went to a Big East school so when your school played their school, you have an excuse to get back together, go out, get out of the house and throw back a few beers. That is all but gone now, and these games help to keep a lot of interest in that older generation of fans.

Eventually we can do away with these games when the younger fans grow up on the ACC, but right now we would be alienating a pretty significant chunk of the fanbase.

Edited to add: Plus, it is UConn!? Who doesn't like kicking their ass on the court??? These games are fun and that is what sports is supposed to be all about, isn't it? I'm sick of this conference makes more, this TV network is better than that one, etc.

As a younger fan (24) I'm more pumped we're playing UConn again.

Why?

I hate Georgetown as well don't get me wrong, but I wasn't alive during the "glory days" of the rivalry nor could I remember any of them in the mid 90's. I grew up watching Cuse go up against guys like Okafor, Marcus Williams, Josh Boone, Rudy Gay, etc. Sadly it'll be the same in 20 years. Kids growing up will care about playing Duke, UNC, etc. and won't care nearly as much about UConn or Georgetown. It's just what I grew up with.

i'm just looking forward to ollie throwing some papers on the court to show how mad he is. then making the cryface.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom