SU and UConn set to play at MSG this year | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

SU and UConn set to play at MSG this year

No.

I'm trying to point out that this game is a distraction and not all that important except for those with an emotional need to connect to the Old Big East and the way things used to be. You are aware, I hope, that there are a whole bunch of Su fans that are having some trouble letting go of the past?)

They'll sell a bunch of tickets to it and attendance will be all out of whack for the actual meaningfulness of the game.

Consider this. Next season which of these games is the Least Important for SU:

Vs Duke?
Vs UNC?
Vs UVA?
Vs Louisville?
Vs Any other random ACC Team
vs. Uconn?

The idea is to win the Conference we are actually in and not the Conference we used to be in.
OOC games matter and uconn is a quality opponent. When we have average conference years like last year, it's inexcusable to not play games like this and if we don't win these we're NIT bound. Sure we could schedule Maryland but why not schedule a team that's more meaningful and oh yeah better. I hate uconn like the rest of us but don't tell me Maryland is a better program.

OOC games matter and uconn is a quality opponent. When we have average conference years like last year, it's inexcusable to not play games like this and if we don't win these we're NIT bound. Sure we could schedule Maryland but why not schedule a team that's more meaningful and oh yeah better. I hate uconn like the rest of us but don't tell me Maryland is a better program.

Maryland it a much better program today - cash, conference, market, home court and talent. The banners don't play each other.

So you are saying that an indy game is less important than a league game. Stop the presses. Wouldn't that also be true if we played Maryland instead?

Sure. But we have to play some OOC gases. So we should be strategic in doing so.

I just think that "Big East Nostalgia" shouldn't be one of the criteria we use in scheduling.

I get that scheduling Maryland might not be a good idea because it is sort of putting a thumb in the eye of our ACC brethren. But independent of that, if SU wanted a game that gave it visibility in the DC area --- which is prime recruiting territory --- they'd be better scheduling Maryland (which has a huge local fan base) than playing Georgetown (which has few fans, local or otherwise.)

At some point in time, those that want to play UConn because they used to be a Conference rival, have to wake up and say "Ya know, you really can't go back in time."

How is it a distraction? Please show your work.

A "distraction" occurs when attention is devoted away from the primary task. The hoopla and press associated with this game will be all out of whack with its actual importance. I can imagine all the clips we are going to see as part of the pre-game hype.

This isn't a game we have to play. UConn isn't the only school that's available to play.

This is all about the money. This is about cashing in on the residual fan interest/ "hate' and trying to reconnect with a bygone era. Playing in in MSG exposes it as a transparent and blatant "money grab" it is.

It's got the aroma of an exhibition game, although it actually does count in the overall schedule just like any OOC game.

How is playing UConn more "meaningful"?

I'm pretty sure I know why you think the game is "meaningful". I just want you to post it.

Hating UConn is a waste of effort now. It's like hating Wyoming or Washington State, two other schools we aren't in a conference with.

A "distraction" occurs when attention is devoted away from the primary task. The hoopla and press associated with this game will be all out of whack with its actual importance. I can imagine all the clips we are going to see as part of the pre-game hype.

This isn't a game we have to play. UConn isn't the only school that's available to play.

This is all about the money. This is about cashing in on the residual fan interest/ "hate' and trying to reconnect with a bygone era. Playing in in MSG exposes it as a transparent and blatant "money grab" it is.

It's got the aroma of an exhibition game, although it actually does count in the overall schedule just like any OOC game.

What do you think the consequences of said distraction would be?

And this unique to old Big East rivals? If we played a series with Kansas or Kentucky, would you be opposed to that? Wouldn't those teams generate a lot of hype?

What do you think the consequences of said distraction would be?

And this unique to old Big East rivals? If we played a series with Kansas or Kentucky, would you be opposed to that? Wouldn't those teams generate a lot of hype?

The consequence are associated with not scheduling strategically. This is a money grab and that gets in the way of a 100% strategic schedule.

Kansas and KY would be fine with me as well as occasional old Big East teams. But we should play the old Big East teams for a reason other than Nostalgia.

I don't think there would be as much Hype if we played UK or KS. I also don't think those teams will be on our schedule either. Too tough a game when we already play in the toughest conference.

The consequence are associated with not scheduling strategically. This is a money grab and that gets in the way of a 100% strategic schedule.

Kansas and KY would be fine with me as well as occasional old Big East teams. But we should play the old Big East teams for a reason other than Nostalgia.

I don't think there would be as much Hype if we played UK or KS. I also don't think those teams will be on our schedule either. Too tough a game when we already play in the toughest conference.

You didn't answer my question. What is "scheduling strategically?" How does it adversely impact the program if we play UCONN?

You didn't answer my question. What is "scheduling strategically?" How does it adversely impact the program if we play UCONN?

It's really not that complicated. We would be their Super Bowl. I was the the GTown game this season, we clearly were their biggest game. We have other fish to fry.

Now if we are in preseason tournament and they are there then cool.

It's really not that complicated. We would be their Super Bowl. I was the the GTown game this season, we clearly were their biggest game. We have other fish to fry.

Great. Then it'll be even more soul crushing when we beat them.

I have it on good authority that you were seated in the g-town section, wearing hoya gear, cheering all game. If that isn't true, take it up with marsh.

Sure. But we have to play some OOC gases. So we should be strategic in doing so.

I just think that "Big East Nostalgia" shouldn't be one of the criteria we use in scheduling.

I get that scheduling Maryland might not be a good idea because it is sort of putting a thumb in the eye of our ACC brethren. But independent of that, if SU wanted a game that gave it visibility in the DC area --- which is prime recruiting territory --- they'd be better scheduling Maryland (which has a huge local fan base) than playing Georgetown (which has few fans, local or otherwise.)

At some point in time, those that want to play UConn because they used to be a Conference rival, have to wake up and say "Ya know, you really can't go back in time."

I think scheduling Uconn had more to do with boosting our rpi than anything else. Right now we don't know what big ten team we are playing, and the rest of the schedule consists of St Johns, Gtown, both terrible teams last year, and a S. carolina team that was on the bubble, and is losing some players.

I'm sure you actually understand what strategic scheduling is.

It doesn't hurt to play UConn, but it shouldn't be a priority to schedule games to satisfy a that part of the fan base who can't understand that these games have no value beyond being just another OOC contest.

Instead, the University is playing to the emotions of those who haven't figured it out that there is no longer a meaningful rivalry. But there are plenty of suckers out there.

I think scheduling Uconn had more to do with boosting our rpi than anything else. Right now we don't know what big ten team we are playing, and the rest of the schedule consists of St Johns, Gtown, both terrible teams last year, and a S. carolina team that was on the bubble, and is losing some players.

And we are playing in MSG because?

It doesn't hurt to play UConn, but it shouldn't be a priority to schedule games to satisfy a that part of the fan base who can't understand that these games have no value beyond being just another OOC contest.

Instead, the University is playing to the emotions of those who haven't figured it out that there is no longer a meaningful rivalry. But there are plenty of suckers out there.

You still haven't explained how it adversely affects the program if we play uconn.

I believe that JB does his own scheduling. he plays who he wants to play ans where he wants to play them. He must see value in the game.

I believe that JB does his own scheduling. he plays who he wants to play ans where he wants to play them. He must see value in the game.

Yes, he sees a top 50 win possibility.

Because Syracuse should always be playing games at Msg, and we got St Johns at home this year.

Well, that's one way of saying it.

Another would be that it will be a full house and a big payday by preying on that proportion of the fans that can't understand that these two schools no longer have a meaningful "rivalry".

Im wish they wouldn't play UConn because it just provokes more whining about how great the Big East used to be and how great the BET tournament there was.

Time to move on, folks.

Well, that's one way of saying it.

Another would be that it will be a full house and a big payday by preying on that proportion of the fans that can't understand that these two schools no longer have a meaningful "rivalry".

Im wish they wouldn't play UConn because it just provokes more whining about how great the Big East used to be and how great the BET tournament there was.

Time to move on, folks.

That is part of it also, and there is nothing wrong with great memories of the big east. I just really don't see the downside, we need another quality ooc opponent.

When football revenues were down a few years ago, Basketball added home games to try and offset these revenue shortfalls. This game vs. UConn is about Money.

JB gets that his team is the horse that's pulling the money wagon for the SU Athletic Department. So, he probably wouldn't object.

Another would be that it will be a full house and a big payday

859760.gif

Great. Then it'll be even more soul crushing when we beat them.

My point exactly.

Here you are worrying about "crushing the soul" of a fan base of a team we no longer are in a Conference with.

What's the point of that?

So stop all this nonsense about SOS. You haven't shifted gears yet and it's now been a couple of years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom