SU Basketball's new data-driven approach to recruiting, the portal and NIL | Syracusefan.com

SU Basketball's new data-driven approach to recruiting, the portal and NIL

Wow! watch this podcast. It’s outstanding. This program is jumpstarting new approaches to recruiting, NIL, player development and in game decisions. Eugene is one of a kind and brilliant. What a transformation from the way things were were done in the past. SU has to hang on to these two guys.

That was fantastic. Eugene is going to make himself a lot of cash soon lol. Great insight to show how different this day is for a coach compared to even just 5 years ago. Cool stuff
The benefit for the portal is if they identified guys under the radar, they can swoop in early and hopefully lock it in. Finding the right fit is the portal game.

The benefit for the portal is if they identified guys under the radar, they can swoop in early and hopefully lock it in. Finding the right fit is the portal game.
It should give us some confidence in they portal guys they identified and went after. They seemed very confident in who we got.
I would imagine there might be real specific portal shopping in the future:
Ex. We have 2-3 guys who shoot really well on the right side, so we need someone who can shoot well from the left.

I am curious as to this will be applied to our offense, ala UCONN. Maybe that was off limits for this PODCAST so as not to disclose it, or just couldn’t get to it.
I also have to think the analytics played some roll in who we were willing to let go at the end of the year.

It should give us some confidence in they portal guys they identified and went after. They seemed very confident in who we got.
I would imagine there might be real specific portal shopping in the future:
Ex. We have 2-3 guys who shoot really well on the right side, so we need someone who can shoot well from the left.
100% agree. I think Taylor and Davis are going to be great bench contributors.

Wow! watch this podcast. It’s outstanding. This program is jumpstarting new approaches to recruiting, NIL, player development and in game decisions. Eugene is one of a kind and brilliant. What a transformation from the way things were were done in the past. SU has to hang on to these two guys.
Yup, Eugene will have a bright future. Data analysis is a crucial piece. We are catching up in this regard and this really needed to happen.

The real home run here is the addition of a GM position in general, and Alex Kline in particular. Of course, this wouldn't be happening without with Red's and JW's willingness to evolve the program and embrace these concepts. We need every possible advantage and tool we can muster.

I am curious as to this will be applied to our offense, ala UCONN. Maybe that was off limits for this PODCAST so as not to disclose it, or just couldn’t get to it.
I also have to think the analytics played some roll in who we were willing to let go at the end of the year.
Off limits? They spoke about it directly for example when they talked about the efficiency analysis of players and lineup combinations. The use of data analysis to drive offense/defense decision making, player development, roster combinations, and recruiting is common place.

This is great stuff! So glad that we are being open minded to incorporate data into decision making on various aspects of the program. This is great leadership as well to be willing to invest and leverage the results of these projects into the decision making. The data sometimes may go against what your gut tells you and you may still go with your gut in the end and be right. But the willingness to incorporate data at all will raise the ceiling of the level of success for the program moving forward.

Autry going 20-12 with that roster last year will age as a great coaching job.
Yeah definitely wouldn’t be shocked that incorporating data analytics helped us overcome games we would’ve lost last year playing mostly on feel and coaching experience alone. Player buy in to listen and incorporate data into their development and time on the court is going to be very important moving forward for these projects to have any impact. Probably will want to not have any part in players and staff that don’t embrace the incorporation of data.

Off limits? They spoke about it directly for example when they talked about the efficiency analysis of players and lineup combinations. The use of data analysis to drive offense/defense decision making, player development, roster combinations, and recruiting is common place.
I meant more in how they were going to run the offense. Will it be more modern. I took some of this as how we help read in situations to get a good shot, not revamp the offense to run like UConn’s.

STATS!!!!

Yeah, just over here giggling in my corner at all the pop this story is garnering.

With all our eye test die-hards on this forum.

Sipping Tea Time GIF

I meant more in how they were going to run the offense. Will it be more modern. I took some of this as how we help read in situations to get a good shot, not revamp the offense to run like UConn’s.
There is a misconception about the offense that Red tried to run. We were running a motion offense. What differentiated it from uconn's motion offense had much more to do with lack of execution, poor decision making, roster composition, coachability/player mentality, and, to put it bluntly, talent.

To be fair, Uconn's offense was the most efficient and well executed offense I have ever seen at the college level. Lots of teams run similar concepts. Uconn did it better than anyone else.

Don't most teams do this?
Probably to some extent. Some more than others. Having a top sports analytics program at the University though is definitely an advantage now that we are bought into the idea of implementing data analytics. We will have access to top talent studying at the university to help during their school years and maybe even hiring some full time after college if the resources are available.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tucker

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom