SU Basketball's new data-driven approach to recruiting, the portal and NIL | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

SU Basketball's new data-driven approach to recruiting, the portal and NIL

Wow! watch this podcast. It’s outstanding. This program is jumpstarting new approaches to recruiting, NIL, player development and in game decisions. Eugene is one of a kind and brilliant. What a transformation from the way things were were done in the past. SU has to hang on to these two guys.
Nothing against Eugene - he seems GREAT - but the Falk School has been churning a number of Eugene's out the past six years thanks to the launch of the data analytics program. I bet he lasts less than two years before getting snapped up, but the cupboard is FULL of these kids and now access to be basketball wing has been de-blocked it seems.

Nothing against Eugene - he seems GREAT - but the Falk School has been churning a number of Eugene's out the past six years thanks to the launch of the data analytics program. I bet he lasts less than two years before getting snapped up, but the cupboard is FULL of these kids and now access to be basketball wing has been de-blocked it seems.
Always thought our sports teams underutilized Falk. These students would help tremendously and it would improve their resumes. Win/win.

In fairness the ability to both handle the analytics while communicating it effectively with multiple stakeholders is not necessarily a common combination of skills. Getting folks to be good at both is a challenge (been there done that) and when you find them they aren’t always easy to replace. That said Alex can leverage his understanding of it too and probably fill the gap while we have a never ending supply of sports analytical talent flowing in.

It’s good to see the approach on all this. While I think other programs have it- getting a guy like Alex with scouting experience to be the GM is likely unique across the country. Creating a draft board for portal kids and recruits akin to how the NBA front offices operate is probably again something that isn’t brand new but also early adoption too. Who knows if Alex was talking with us before Eddie was targeted but either way it does seem that fit and skill sets were prioritized over rankings this off season.

It’s good to see the approach on all this. While I think other programs have it- getting a guy like Alex with scouting experience to be the GM is likely unique across the country. Creating a draft board for portal kids and recruits akin to how the NBA front offices operate is probably again something that isn’t brand new but also early adoption too. Who knows if Alex was talking with us before Eddie was targeted but either way it does seem that fit and skill sets were prioritized over rankings this off season.
Syracuse has maybe a 2-3 year jump on some other programs in this area. Big programs will just go for the best guys in the portal and succeed but there's so many. The smart ones will win by finding fits.

In fairness the ability to both handle the analytics while communicating it effectively with multiple stakeholders is not necessarily a common combination of skills. Getting folks to be good at both is a challenge (been there done that) and when you find them they aren’t always easy to replace. That said Alex can leverage his understanding of it too and probably fill the gap while we have a never ending supply of sports analytical talent flowing in.
True…but Falk School has consistently won top competitions where both are needed. And Eugene is also a senior in college. We got depth. Promise.

Syracuse has maybe a 2-3 year jump on some other programs in this area. Big programs will just go for the best guys in the portal and succeed but there's so many. The smart ones will win by finding fits.
UConn did this with Calcaterra and Spencer.

I don't know if we have a big of a jump as you think we do, but we'll def see this year how our portal scouting looks because we have lot of under the radar types.

True…but Falk School has consistently won top competitions where both are needed. And Eugene is also a senior in college. We got depth. Promise.

I don’t doubt it - I’ve hired Data analysts out of some of the top schools in the country and it’s still not common to find those that can operate in both arenas. That said it’s not apples to apples in terms of sports analytics students vs just data scientists.

I wasn’t as much saying we don’t have depth as much as highlighting that this kid is unique in his own right and deserves the shout out and screen time.

I don't know if we have a big of a jump as you think we do, but we'll def see this year how our portal scouting looks because we have lot of under the radar types.

Newton as well. Newton was an ECU txfr who keyed their repeat this past year.

I wonder/hope that this type of thing was a requirement for Red and/or accepting of same was a prerequisite for hiring for ADJW.

Moreso I think Syracuse is going to be in the group of early adopters which I think is a nice advantage. UConn obviously is executing at a high-level already.

Moreso I think Syracuse is going to be in the group of early adopters which I think is a nice advantage. UConn obviously is executing at a high-level already.
It appears Alabama was the major pioneer in this area. Though I know Buzz was using analytics heavily all the way back to when he was at Marquette.

Hopefully we can catch up quickly. Good to see us finally recognizing there is value here..

Alabama, UConn Share Analytical Mindset—and Even Used Same Firm

I think it is a bit overrated. It is great if you have a couple players you are interested in and need a tie breaker. It is good if you need to find quality depth. But there is no secret sauce.

BBall is pretty simple. You need quality G play. Even better if that is experienced. UConn had two 5th year guards who had already shown quality before they got to UConn. You don’t need data to figure that out.

If you want to be current, in today’s sports world, using some form of analytics is important, IMO. The addition of the manager and the analytics with the 2 in those roles will help our basketball program to come back as a top national program.

I think it is a bit overrated. It is great if you have a couple players you are interested in and need a tie breaker. It is good if you need to find quality depth. But there is no secret sauce.

BBall is pretty simple. You need quality G play. Even better if that is experienced. UConn had two 5th year guards who had already shown quality before they got to UConn. You don’t need data to figure that out.
Teams/programs use data for more than player analysis and recruiting. Data analysis plays a role in advance scouting and self scouting, for example.

Teams/programs use data for more than player analysis and recruiting. Data analysis plays a role in advance scouting and self scouting, for example.
I realize that. Not saying it doesn’t have its place. But we aren’t going to be in the Sweet 16 every year on analytics alone.

IMO a school’s war chest is way more important.

did I hear Eugene developed an app? We need to license that and sell it with the proceeds benefiting bball NIL

I'm glad SU did this and am excited to see where it goes, but they are absolutely not early adopters.

Having a dedicated analytics staffer who can communicate and a coach who is humble enough to delegate it, listen to what they say and incorporate it into their roster development and game-planning is a requirement for being a competitive program, and has been for the last 5 years (at least).

Will add that before the free transfer era, some programs had staffers (either assistants or GA’s) whose responsibilities included knowing which low-majors and mid-majors would be good for SOS based on their returning and incoming talent and could be scheduled for peanuts. Obviously that’s harder to do now with more roster turnover, but it reflects the kind of thinking needed to be an innovative, top-flight program.

I'm glad SU did this and am excited to see where it goes, but they are absolutely not early adopters.

Having a dedicated analytics staffer who can communicate and a coach who is humble enough to delegate it, listen to what they say and incorporate it into their roster development and game-planning is a requirement for being a competitive program, and has been for the last 5 years (at least).

Depending on the sophistication of how they use it though they could be early in having a more robust approach vs just using the analytics.

I meant more in how they were going to run the offense. Will it be more modern. I took some of this as how we help read in situations to get a good shot, not revamp the offense to run like UConn’s.

UConn benefitted from really good players/fits and incredible execution (credit to their staff) more so than a revolutionary offensive scheme.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tucker

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom