SU bowl projections | Page 43 | Syracusefan.com

SU bowl projections

I'd take El Paso. Have a hotel booked. A day drive from Phoenix. But something tells me it is Pinstripe based on a social media post this afternoon that points to a NYC game. Just an instinct.

I know that a lot of people are pretty against the Pinstripe, and I respect all of your opinions on that but we haven’t been there in a decade.

None of the current players have ever played there, and the history of football in NYC is rather stunning; “The Greatest Game Ever Played” (IND vs NYG) which arguably popularized the NFL, ND vs Army’s Knute Rockne “win one for the Gipper” speech game at Yankee Stadium etc.
IND vs. NYG? They were the legendary Baltimore Colts with Johnny U. They moved to Indy like 30 years later.

IND vs. NYG? They were the legendary Baltimore Colts with Johnny U. They moved to Indy like 30 years later.
I totally didn’t even think about that, you’re right.

More updates...

If this report can be believed, and I think it can, the Sun Bowl really wants a team with at least 8 wins from the ACC.

They are now to taking Pitt or Duke. Pretty sure one of them will be available when it is their turn to pick and they will get their wish.

So if you were pining for El Paso, it probably isn't going to happen.

I am also including another article written from the perspective of the Holiday Bowl. It provides some insight into how ACC schools are matched to ACC bowls that I think is valuable.

Neville will be in Charlotte, N.C., throughout the weekend to attend ACC events leading up to and including the championship game.

So will representatives from all the other bowls with ACC tie-ins.

Most important from a Holiday Bowl perspective are the Gator and Cheez-It bowls.

After New Year’s Six slots are filled, three bowls all submit their top three choices among available teams.

If each bowl selects a different school as their top pick, then they get that team.

If there is overlap, then the conference and bowls work things out.

“We’re all friends,” Neville said. “It’s not like we’re all going after each other. I’ve known these guys for a long time and we all play nicely in the sand box.

“We care about the industry. We all want this thing to come out great. We want people to get the teams that make the most sense.

“Of course, we’re looking out for our own bowls as much as we can, but, at the same time, we want everyone to have a good bowl game.”

Upsets this weekend would be most helpful in getting the Holiday Bowl its best matchup.

For instance, if North Carolina upsets Clemson, then the Tar Heels would go to the Orange Bowl.

That would drop Clemson into the pool for the Holiday, Gator (located in Jacksonville, Fla.) and Cheez-It (Orlando).

The two Florida bowls are believed to be more inclined toward ACC schools that are more proximate — and also higher ranked — than Notre Dame.

A wild card in all this is if an ACC spot in the ReliaQuest Bowl (Tampa) — which has pick priority after the NY6 slots are filled — is available. Then Notre Dame is a possibility to go there, though Florida State also would be a good fit for the game.

I am quite sure that the Mayo Bowl is taking NC State.

Looks like Wake or UL to Fenway, SU to the Pinstripe or the Military Bowl and the other of Wake and UL to the other of the Pinstripe or Military.

It gets more interesting if OSU does not get the Orange Bowl.

In that case, one of the schools with an 8-4 record might want to play in the Pinstripe. I am wondering if John Wildhack and the Pinstripe might want to end the drama and lock in today to avoid some possible real drama, where we fall below the Pinstripe.

It will be interesting to see what happens today.

Both of these links are in the daily articles, but I thought it would be good to cross link them here for completeness.

More updates...

If this report can be believed, and I think it can, the Sun Bowl really wants a team with at least 8 wins from the ACC.

They are now to taking Pitt or Duke. Pretty sure one of them will be available when it is their turn to pick and they will get their wish.

So if you were pining for El Paso, it probably isn't going to happen.

I am also including another article written from the perspective of the Holiday Bowl. It provides some insight into how ACC schools are matched to ACC bowls that I think is valuable.

Neville will be in Charlotte, N.C., throughout the weekend to attend ACC events leading up to and including the championship game.

So will representatives from all the other bowls with ACC tie-ins.

Most important from a Holiday Bowl perspective are the Gator and Cheez-It bowls.

After New Year’s Six slots are filled, three bowls all submit their top three choices among available teams.

If each bowl selects a different school as their top pick, then they get that team.

If there is overlap, then the conference and bowls work things out.

“We’re all friends,” Neville said. “It’s not like we’re all going after each other. I’ve known these guys for a long time and we all play nicely in the sand box.

“We care about the industry. We all want this thing to come out great. We want people to get the teams that make the most sense.

“Of course, we’re looking out for our own bowls as much as we can, but, at the same time, we want everyone to have a good bowl game.”

Upsets this weekend would be most helpful in getting the Holiday Bowl its best matchup.

For instance, if North Carolina upsets Clemson, then the Tar Heels would go to the Orange Bowl.

That would drop Clemson into the pool for the Holiday, Gator (located in Jacksonville, Fla.) and Cheez-It (Orlando).

The two Florida bowls are believed to be more inclined toward ACC schools that are more proximate — and also higher ranked — than Notre Dame.

A wild card in all this is if an ACC spot in the ReliaQuest Bowl (Tampa) — which has pick priority after the NY6 slots are filled — is available. Then Notre Dame is a possibility to go there, though Florida State also would be a good fit for the game.

I am quite sure that the Mayo Bowl is taking NC State.

Looks like Wake or UL to Fenway, SU to the Pinstripe or the Military Bowl and the other of Wake and UL to the other of the Pinstripe or Military.

It gets more interesting if OSU does not get the Orange Bowl.

In that case, one of the schools with an 8-4 record might want to play in the Pinstripe. I am wondering if John Wildhack and the Pinstripe might want to end the drama and lock in today to avoid some possible real drama, where we fall below the Pinstripe.

It will be interesting to see what happens today.

Both of these links are in the daily articles, but I thought it would be good to cross link them here for completeness.
I figured an 8-4 team would go to NYC. If Ohio St doesn’t get the Orange Bowl we may not be getting NYC. I see Wake in the Military so I think Birmingham and Gasparilla are still in the running if Pinstripe takes an 8-4 team.

I figured an 8-4 team would go to NYC. If Ohio St doesn’t get the Orange Bowl we may not be getting NYC. I see Wake in the Military so I think Birmingham and Gasparilla are still in the running if Pinstripe takes an 8-4 team.
I would bet the Pinstripe would rather take 7-5 Syracuse over one of the 8 win teams.

1670002569683.png

Minnesota fans already complaining about potentially playing “lowly” Syracuse. SMH.
Lowly Syracuse? We beat them last time we faced in a bowl and we’d beat them again.

They left our board with their tails between their legs.

And that was a HCSS team. Lowly.

Losers

Good news. First domino looks to have fallen. Not sure that gets us closer to Military versus Pinstripe, but goal was to avoid that bowl at all costs, and mission appears to be accomplished...
Looking more and more like Wake and Syracuse will fill the Military and the Pinstripe.

I suspect both bowls would prefer us.

I suspect the decision is ours.

Does it get decided by the players?

We might also have options to play in Birmingham or Tampa. Would we prefer those locations?

I have no idea. Someone (hint hint Emily) should ask ?John or Dino.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom