SU Considered in NIL In-Season Tournament | Syracusefan.com

SU Considered in NIL In-Season Tournament

5OutFred

Scout Team

Per Front Office Sports, SU rumored to be participating in an NIL-led tournament in Las Vegas - each of the 8 teams participating will receive $1m, with the winning team receiving an additional million, to be distributed within the program.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Likely a tough field. Things haven't gone well in Atlantis and Maui. I'm a broken record but we need to step our game up to be able to beat more than Chaminade and bad ASU team in these tourneys. If we do this, rest of the Non-conference should be quad 4s (that obviously includes gtown) to game the Net

Last edited:
Was hoping someone would post this. Syracuse has some juice to be in this list with the big dawgs.

Now I got a big problem with the wife cuz I was planning on going to the football game Oct 5th and im gonna have to get out for this too.

This is great all around, especially in the conference realignment/NCAAccelerating death era.

Reading the article, it isnt a lock we will be in. It says there are 8 teams this year and the story names 10 teams they're talking to.

Just adding context, not saying they wont be in, but the OP is more definitive that seems warranted right now

There are issues here...such as schools being awarded and directly dishing out NIL money.
Plus it's Jeff Zucker's bid to get involved in sports.
This seems contingent on their getting tv/streaming deal to make money on the tourney.
Is it big enough to engage major media sponsors?

All that said, it's nice the Orange are still considered major players.

I don’t wanna hear about the “issues” regarding this. After a decade of traveling from Alaska for games, let me have a few in my new back yard.

If this actually happens, see you at the craps table immediately following the game

This is how all the tourneys should be run pre season in season and post season. Obviously with a pct to players vs pct to school being the norm but the concept makes sense. The NCAA could easily tie money to academic status too if they wanted meaning maintaining or completing both semesters in good standing to be fully vested. A lot of ways to add values of being a student to the incentives for playing.

It’s an opportunity for fan bases that travel well like ours to put their stamp on the NIL game too because butts in seats are going to fund things.

Lol this is pay for play, what the crap.
1709996751093.jpeg

I don’t wanna hear about the “issues” regarding this. After a decade of traveling from Alaska for games, let me have a few in my new back yard.

If this actually happens, see you at the craps table immediately following the game
Adam, I actually prefer Blackjack, but count me in if this Vegas thing materializes -- this has incredible potential!

This is interesting, because I'd been kicking around an idea in my head that Syracuse adjacent people should try to organize an in-season tournament at MSG to play meaningful games against old Big East foes for recruiting purposes. Call it a Northeast Championship, get a trophy, and I was going to say $1M to the winning team via NIL. That would be the hook to kind of force Big East teams to play it, given that they have no reason to want to help us play meaningful games at MSG.

Invite the top 4 teams from the previous season in the Northeast, top 4 in preseason polls from the Northeast, then fill-in Northeast teams up to 8. Make certain conferences eligible - probably P5 and mid majors.

So this year would have been something like...

Last Year's Final Rankings
UConn
Penn State
Pitt
Providence

This Year's Preseason Poll
Villanova
St. John's

Two spots left - Seton Hall and Syracuse probably round it out?

Anyway with that amount of money on the line, the impact on recruiting, the bragging rights of the trophy, I think this would reignite some of those old rivalries for us. Ideally you get some retired coaches to organize it and lend their names to the trophy in some form or fashion, then tie in charity.

Could debate whether Penn State and Maryland count as Northeast for the purposes of this tournament, although obviously we'd count Pitt and Georgetown. Could also debate whether Ivies that qualify are in, as teams like Princeton or Cornell will qualify sometimes. (Princeton would have this year by these criteria.)

Once it starts, you can also automatically invite the previous year's champion to defend.

I will say, that $1M in NIL just to participate would probably increase our NIL budget by an extra 50%, assuming we have $2M in NIL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom