SU Considered in NIL In-Season Tournament | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

SU Considered in NIL In-Season Tournament

Wave of the present and future.

Good for us.

We didn't go to SD for the bison burgers.
Not a wave of the present and future.

It is just making public what has always been true about college sports -- playing for money with paid ringers, which started with the first big intercollegiate competition -- a Harvard vs Yale regatta -- and thereafter, phony students and paid "student ringers" playing football.

I will say, that $1M in NIL just to participate would probably increase our NIL budget by an extra 50%, assuming we have $2M in NIL
If we only have $2M in NIL we are going to have a tough time keeping or attracting players in this environment. If you wanted to keep Judah or get an impact portal player that would be approx $500k. If your next five (Maliq, Freeman, Bell, JJ, Cope) averaged $200k each the you only have $500k combined for players 7-13 (Chance, Choppa, Cuffe, McLeod, Patterson, Carey).

Realistically the NIL budget needs to be north of $3M if you want to compete.

Cuse!

There are issues here...such as schools being awarded and directly dishing out NIL money.
Plus it's Jeff Zucker's bid to get involved in sports.
This seems contingent on their getting tv/streaming deal to make money on the tourney.
Is it big enough to engage major media sponsors?

All that said, it's nice the Orange are still considered major players.
Would that have still happened if JB was the head coach this year?

Reading the article, it isnt a lock we will be in. It says there are 8 teams this year and the story names 10 teams they're talking to.

Just adding context, not saying they wont be in, but the OP is more definitive that seems warranted right now
3 teams from the ACC. Probably only take 1. Hmmmm, Duke could add to its coffers, you know the one it needs to resupply because it's so "poor"! My guess is that SU is a distant 3rd in that race.

Leave the Dukes, Kansas's and the other few out of it. Have the next tier of teams and quality mid majors represented to spread out the cash and possibly give their recruiting a boost.

Leave the Dukes, Kansas's and the other few out of it. Have the next tier of teams and quality mid majors represented to spread out the cash and possibly give their recruiting a boost.
They’re not going to spend $10M just on NIL to not have the top brands lol. It’s a business, not a charity case.

They’re not going to spend $10M just on NIL to not have the top brands lol. It’s a business, not a charity case.
I understand that but include 1 or 2 not 4 or 5. They wouldn't be suffering at all. That team list was actually not bad, just no Duke for me please.

3 teams from the ACC. Probably only take 1. Hmmmm, Duke could add to its coffers, you know the one it needs to resupply because it's so "poor"! My guess is that SU is a distant 3rd in that race.

I believe one of the rules for early season tournaments is that there can only be one team from each conference. I could be wrong, but I don't remember seeing 2 teams from the same conference in one.

I believe one of the rules for early season tournaments is that there can only be one team from each conference. I could be wrong, but I don't remember seeing 2 teams from the same conference in one.
I think you are right. However, next year Iowa St and Colorado play in an early season tournament. A factor here is Colorado will be 1st yr members of big12.
OT: just fun facts:
Point totals for Colorado football before and after deion fired Sean lewis:
With Sean:
45 W vs defending national champions
36W
43W
~6L vs #6 Oregon
41L
27W
43L
Without:
19L
31L
17L
A thought: recruiting doesn't make a team.

OT for real: deion sanders is to false hopes is equal to Fran Brown is to silent assassin ~~~√

Last edited:
For the record, our game vs Oregon was essentially the same idea.
Wow you mean even if a game isn't in MSG, there might be some benefit and worth playing?

Believe it is an unwritten rule in effort to avoid teams from the same conference playing a non-conference game and also to generate more out of the ordinary matchups

While we are on the NIL subject, any thought on what a budget would be to keep up with the Blue Bloods?5 million a good starting point?

I believe we will still play 11 OOC games next season.

Some are already spoken for.

We will play Georgetown at the JMA Dome.

We will play an SEC team in the ACC-SEC Challenge on the road.

We will play two games in Brooklyn in the Legends Classic on November 21st and November 22nd.

It sounds like it is being planned for Thanksgiving weekend, so our commitment to the Legends Classic does not present a date conflict (assuming they do play on Thanksgiving weekend).

With an 8 team field, I am assuming the format will be like the Maui Classic, where each team is guaranteed 3 games.

If we were to also commit to the NIL tournament, it would mean we have committed to play 7 of our 11 OOC games, and only one of them is at home. Our home games are lucrative; we make a lot of money playing there. Even if we played the remaining 4 games all at home, it would mean we only play 5 of our 11 OOC games at home in 2024-25, which is really low.

We only played 6 home OOC games in 2023-24 but it was an unusual schedule in that we played Georgetown on the road and had that one off game with Oregon in South Dakota, along with 3 games in the Maui Classic.

We usually play 1 game OOC on the road. Either Georgetown or the challenge game, which tends to bounce from home to away year after year. And then we usually play a 2 game tournament in NYC, like we are doing again in 2024-25. So we usually have 3 OOC games away from home and 8 at home.

Bottom line, I think it is unlikely we are playing in this NIL thing in November 2024. If they expand it to 16 teams and plan to have everyone play 4 games (that is asking a ton for programs that have strong home attendance), it is probably a long shot we commit to it in November of 2025.

Let's see what happens.

I believe we will still play 11 OOC games next season.

Some are already spoken for.

We will play Georgetown at the JMA Dome.

We will play an SEC team in the ACC-SEC Challenge on the road.

We will play two games in Brooklyn in the Legends Classic on November 21st and November 22nd.

It sounds like it is being planned for Thanksgiving weekend, so our commitment to the Legends Classic does not present a date conflict (assuming they do play on Thanksgiving weekend).

With an 8 team field, I am assuming the format will be like the Maui Classic, where each team is guaranteed 3 games.

If we were to also commit to the NIL tournament, it would mean we have committed to play 7 of our 11 OOC games, and only one of them is at home. Our home games are lucrative; we make a lot of money playing there. Even if we played the remaining 4 games all at home, it would mean we only play 5 of our 11 OOC games at home in 2024-25, which is really low.

We only played 6 home OOC games in 2023-24 but it was an unusual schedule in that we played Georgetown on the road and had that one off game with Oregon in South Dakota, along with 3 games in the Maui Classic.

We usually play 1 game OOC on the road. Either Georgetown or the challenge game, which tends to bounce from home to away year after year. And then we usually play a 2 game tournament in NYC, like we are doing again in 2024-25. So we usually have 3 OOC games away from home and 8 at home.

Bottom line, I think it is unlikely we are playing in this NIL thing in November 2024. If they expand it to 16 teams and plan to have everyone play 4 games (that is asking a ton for programs that have strong home attendance), it is probably a long shot we commit to it in November of 2025.

Let's see what happens.
Throw all the usuallys and past schedule out the window. If we can participate in the NIL Tourney, we will. You don’t turn down that cash and recruiting chip in this day and age.

I thought you were only allowed to participate in one tournament as part of your pre-season.

Wouldn't the Legends tournament, be our tournament? So the NIL tournament is a non discussion item at this point.

Perhaps I am wrong.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom