SU fans in Florida | Syracusefan.com

SU fans in Florida

We're as ready as we are gonna be here at my place. We are expecting winds to kick up to 40+ in my area around 7-8 AM tomorrow before really kicking up to nearly 90 late Saturday night through Sunday. Nearly every house in my neighborhood has their shutters up thanks to an unbelievable level of cooperation from the residents. We all saw what happened with Harvey and are doing our best to be prepared for the worst Mother Nature has to throw as us.

I'll try to post periodic updates from my area as long as we have internet. (Don't want to use my phone too much unless I have too so I can conserve battery.)

Edit: Just flipped back to the local weather and they are now saying 106 mph on the wind are expected in the area.

Last edited:
We're as ready as we are gonna be here at my place. We are expecting winds to kick up to 40+ in my area around 7-8 AM tomorrow before really kicking up to nearly 90 late Saturday night through Sunday. Nearly every house in my neighborhood has their shutters up thanks to an unbelievable level of cooperation from the residents. We all saw what happened with Harvey and are doing our best to be prepared for the worst Mother Nature has to throw as us.

I'll try to post periodic updates from my area as long as we have internet. (Don't want to use my phone too much unless I have too so I can conserve battery.)
Stay safe. I'm sure you'll have some unbelievable stories to tell us. Make sure you do. :)

Stay safe. I'm sure you'll have some unbelievable stories to tell us. Make sure you do. :)
Thank you, and I'll make sure to share when I can. I walked through my neighborhood and took some "before" pictures and plan to go out Monday/Tuesday depending on conditions to get the "After" shots. I'll try and post those as well.

Edit: Just flipped back to the local weather and they are now saying 106 mph on the wind are expected in the area.
godspeed to you and yours

Hang tough.
Thank you, we will. The 11:00 update just came out... Back up to a Cat-5 with 160 MPH winds. I have a feeling we are gonna sit in the safest part of the house playing a lot of euchre and rummy this weekend.

Thank you, we will. The 11:00 update just came out... Back up to a Cat-5 with 160 MPH winds. I have a feeling we are gonna sit in the safest part of the house playing a lot of euchre and rummy this weekend.
Geez.

I just finished putting my shutters up here in Fort Myers tonight. We ultimately decided to ride it out after going back and forth. We have 2 and 4 year old boys who I really wanted to get out. 5 million people leaving on the intetstates made that a worse option. Our house is new and solid, we're East of 75 and out of the flood zone, and we're stocked up. We're ready to see what Irma has in her!

I will say, there's a HUGE difference between the doom and gloom that the weather channel is reporting and the calmness of the local guys. Personally, I have a feeling it's going to say west.

SWFL, stay safe brother!

I just finished putting my shutters up here in Fort Myers tonight. We ultimately decided to ride it out after going back and forth. We have 2 and 4 year old boys who I really wanted to get out. 5 million people leaving on the intetstates made that a worse option. Our house is new and solid, we're East of 75 and out of the flood zone, and we're stocked up. We're ready to see what Irma has in her!

I will say, there's a HUGE difference between the doom and gloom that the weather channel is reporting and the calmness of the local guys. Personally, I have a feeling it's going to say west.

SWFL, stay safe brother!

Seriously, please stay safe.

SWFL, stay safe brother!
Sounds like you're not to far from where we are. Stay safe yourself, how are your kids dealing with what's coming in?

Seriously, please stay safe.
Thank you, we will

SWFL, stay safe brother!
Your thoughts on staying at home vs. a local shelter?

Our thoughts are with u and other friends we have in the area. I will retire in two years, wife will want to move to your area then. Wonder if this will be a game changer.

Be safe above all else !!!

SWFL, stay safe brother!
My mom rented a house in Fort Myers for the family to go to for Thanksgiving. Obviously we're hoping that all goes well, but we are a little more curious and feel a little more connected to the area since we know we're going down there soon. I hope you and your family don't have any issues.

Son is shortly driving back home to Palm City from Tampa. Palm City now expecting max winds of 80 mph.

After apparently dodging a bullet here in the Lowcountry of SC, I fear the destruction that particularly SW Fl will get. My sister in law and husband are procrastinating leaving Sarasota. They've been told they are out of their mind staying by us and the governor of FL.
My prayers and good thoughts to all of you folks in the path of Irma.

Sounds like you're not to far from where we are. Stay safe yourself, how are your kids dealing with what's coming in?

Thank you, we will
My two year old has no clue. My 4yr old, we're setting his little tent up in a closet that we're heading to if needed and telling him we're having a camp out. He's pumped. My hope is that they sleep through it.

We live in Olympia point. Basically right across from the incinerator on Buckingham road. The rest of my family here lives in zone B which was just evacuated. Luckily, most of them went to my sisters house in Atlanta on Wednesday. My other two brothers will be at the hotels they work at. So were all safe. It's just going to be ugly on the other side of this if it stays the path.

My two year old has no clue. My 4yr old, we're setting his little tent up in a closet that we're heading to if needed and telling him we're having a camp out. He's pumped. My hope is that they sleep through it.

We live in Olympia point. Basically right across from the incinerator on Buckingham road. The rest of my family here lives in zone B which was just evacuated. Luckily, most of them went to my sisters house in Atlanta on Wednesday. My other two brothers will be at the hotels they work at. So were all safe. It's just going to be ugly on the other side of this if it stays the path.
Glad to hear they aren't anxious, I've been contacting all my former student's parents and for the most part they are trying to make it exciting like you did with the 4 year old.

I'm in Stoneybrook at Gateway, so not more than ten minutes away. If there is anything I can do in the wake of this let me know. I plan to hit the streets Tuesday morning, as long as it's safe, and do what ever I can to help start the healing efforts.

Glad to hear they aren't anxious, I've been contacting all my former student's parents and for the most part they are trying to make it exciting like you did with the 4 year old.

I'm in Stoneybrook at Gateway, so not more than ten minutes away. If there is anything I can do in the wake of this let me know. I plan to hit the streets Tuesday morning, as long as it's safe, and do what ever I can to help start the healing efforts.
Gotcha. My wifes aunt lives in Hampton Park in gateway. Same to you! Did a lot of your neighborhood leave? Most of ours are staying.

Your thoughts on staying at home vs. a local shelter?
My house is just over two years old. So it's in combine with new hurricane codes. It's built with concrete and stucco, and has clay shingles. It's one story, so it's low and there are other houses right next to us on either side on the north and south. It will withstand the wind as long as we're shuttered up, and we are despite Lennar messing up in some spots (some shutter panels not fitting, missing wing nuts, garage door jams not lined up with the holes to lock it). Basically my house is like a mini shelter, which is how most of the new Florida homes are. My home is a cookie cutter, so if you want to see it's the Lennar Trevi (gives you a better idea of my description). We are way inland and are away from the flood zone (we're in D). I feel safe now. I didn't when they thought it was going to be a high Cat 4-5. Our local guy is saying that our impact here should be similar to hurricane Wilma, which I made it through with no problems. Being home, my kids will be comfortable, we aren't displaced, and we can look out for our neighbors and vice versa whom many of stayed. The big problem here is that all of the shelters are full from the coastline evacuations.

I wanted to get to Atlanta on Wednesday, but my wife, a Florida native, didn't want to leave. Now I'm thinking she was right seeing the gas shortages and how many people will need to come back.

Gotcha. My wifes aunt lives in Hampton Park in gateway. Same to you! Did a lot of your neighborhood leave? Most of ours are staying.
Yeah most people stayed here too. It was a major team effort across the neighborhood to get shutters on just about every house in the neighborhood.

My house is just over two years old. So it's in combine with new hurricane codes. It's built with concrete and stucco, and has clay shingles. It's one story, so it's low and there are other houses right next to us on either side on the north and south. It will withstand the wind as long as we're shuttered up, and we are despite Lennar messing up in some spots (some shutter panels not fitting, missing wing nuts, garage door jams not lined up with the holes to lock it). Basically my house is like a mini shelter, which is how most of the new Florida homes are. My home is a cookie cutter, so if you want to see it's the Lennar Trevi (gives you a better idea of my description). We are way inland and are away from the flood zone (we're in D). I feel safe now. I didn't when they thought it was going to be a high Cat 4-5. Our local guy is saying that our impact here should be similar to hurricane Wilma, which I made it through with no problems. Being home, my kids will be comfortable, we aren't displaced, and we can look out for our neighbors and vice versa whom many of stayed. The big problem here is that all of the shelters are full from the coastline evacuations.

I wanted to get to Atlanta on Wednesday, but my wife, a Florida native, didn't want to leave. Now I'm thinking she was right seeing the gas shortages and how many people will need to come back.

We bought with Lennar as well and have these exact same problems!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom