SU Fans need to be the last to utter the "R" word | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

SU Fans need to be the last to utter the "R" word

Like clockwork.

THANKS FOR TELLING US HOW TO THINK AND ACT, TOWNIE!

Coach K gets it. The ACC had become a 2 team league in hoops. The only meaningful games Duke and UNC were playing for 2 months in Jan/Feb were the two games each other and mostly beating up a lot of nothing. It's been a while since NC State, Wake and Maryland have been good. UVA hasn't been a national draw since Ralph Sampson. Meanwhile the top teams in the Big East were playing 6-8 games against other ranked conference members. Bringing in Cuse, Ville, Pitt makes for more showcase meaningful games. I really don't care if Duke or UNC consider us a rival. Just beat 'em regularly. Rivalries form from playing meaningful games with high stakes on the table and inflicting pain on the other school's fan base close to half the time. And not just once every 8 years but having those games most years. If that situation occurs with Duke, UNC, or Louisville the "rivalry" will happen.

They are not our rivals. They resorted to violence when they were losing and don't have enough CLASS ( Jay Williams ) for them to be considered our equal. Tell me when one of the multitude of Syracuse sportscasters would use their position to complain about a call or few calls? Next game they will be cold from 3 and we will beat them again.

http://mbd.At their request, this network is being blocked from this site./mb.aspx?s=167&f=1386

I think the word "rival" may mean soomething different to cuse and Duke fans. Duke and UNC have been alone in the ACC a long time. Year in and year out there was ONE team to worry about for both wins and recruits. Cuse has been in the BE fighting GTown, UConn, Lvill, Nova, etc and each was A rival in theorown way with GTown being THE rival.

A very nice article on this from the Charlotte Disturber:

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2014/02/02/4659053/postagame-thoughts-from-dukes.html

The last few paras:

"ESPN seems to be full steam ahead with the Duke-Syracuse rivalry. And there’s no doubt the Orange fans are as well, given all the pregame build-up (the signs at the airport, on buses and on billboards throughout the city).
It already feels like a rivalry to the Syracuse players, too.

“It feels like the rivalry has been going on for 30 years already, so I’m looking forward to all the games to come,” said Fair, who is a senior (so he’s guaranteed just one more game, Feb. 22 in Durham).

Krzyzewski had some insight into the idea of a Duke-Syracuse rivalry as well.

“Rivalry doesn’t have to be hatred – a great rivalry is built on respect,” he said. “A great rivalry is built on respect of excellence of your opponent. It’s why we’ve had a great rivalry with North Carolina, because they have such a high level of excellence in their program. Obviously Syracuse does, and we do. Those are great games.”

Syracuse isn’t going to be the new Maryland. That’s a rivalry built on hatred, and it wasn’t one Duke fans were eager to embrace.

This is different. This is an entire city that backs its basketball team (it’s not a town, like Chapel Hill, and it’s not a city with a testy relationship, to put it one way, with the small private school in its borders, like Durham). The cab drivers talk basketball. The people at the hotels are dressed in Syracuse blue and orange. It’s a special atmosphere, a cold-weather city lacking a professional sports team, so they’ve put all that energy behind the Orange.

One of the most storied college basketball programs wants to make your game, Duke fans, a must-see event, a game that’s going to capture the college basketball world for a day. Why wouldn’t you embrace that?"

Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2014/02/02/4659053/postagame-thoughts-from-dukes.html#storylink=cpy

Last edited:
Dollars to donuts we're this chicks rival
-a610f4835fb5a371.jpg

Come at me scro.

Look up at the top of the page to the Opponents Links dropdown menu.

i dont have the dropdown box anymore... my forum was moving very slow so they changed something and it took the dropdown box away.

Any chance i get that changed back?

and in the mean time can you link the forum?

i dont have the dropdown box anymore... my forum was moving very slow so they changed something and it took the dropdown box away.

Cusefan0307 linked it above. Insert s c o u t.com (without the blanks) after the mbd in his URL.

http://mbd. /mb.aspx?s=167&f=1386

Lots of teams have multiple "rivals", all with varying levels of intensity.

Are you using the Mobile Style?

If so, temporarily change back to A&O Style and you'll get your dropdowns back.

The fact that Duke fans actually took the effort to chant "Not our rivals" indicates that in the early 00's, Maryland was one of Duke's rivals. Those games in 01 and 02 were great to watch as a fan of college basketball, and it is silly to think they didn't mean anything to Duke fans.

I think, across America, when SU and Duke play, many (I'm looking at you, UConn/NC St/etc.) are praying for a ceiling collapse.

Well it sounds like the fans tried their darnedest. Maybe they should all bring those vuvuzela thingies next time:

t1larg.world.cup.vuvuzela.comment.afpgi.jpg

Or their shofars, like the guy in the baseball cap. Oy.

I read a few messageboards after the game of other ACC teams and some other powers like Kentucky and yes, the prevailing opinion was "I hope the ceiling caves in and both teams fall into a crater".

Pitt ought to be our main rival.

To get back, click on your name in the forum header, select Preferences, then change the style from Mobile back to A&O and save. That should bring the dropdowns back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom