SU - Georgetown 1989 @ the Dome | Syracusefan.com

SU - Georgetown 1989 @ the Dome

That was a classic game as a much needed win since we lost to BC 3 days before

The day of the game there was a retreat for confirmation so myself and many other 10th graders had to miss the game. We were told if we were not there we could not make confirmation. No fear though I brought in my radio and we were able to listen to the game. However I was able to watch the game when it was over on a vhs tape. So when my sons moan about religion class I remind of that day in 1989.

Best game I've ever been to in person. March 6, 1989 [still remember the date]. Sherman Douglas's final game in the Carrier Dome. Huge comeback victory.

That stretch around 1:17 of the video, I've never heard the Dome more raucous [maybe Pitt 2003 came close]. I have this game on tape, and have probably watched it 100 times over the years.

The 2nd half comeback is one of the greatest runs I've ever seen. It literally was UVa game - esque.

Last edited:
Down by 12...

The Dave Johnson putback at the 1:03:30 mark was the key.

Agree 100%. Dome is listless. We're getting our a$$e$ kicked by our rival, who'd had our number for several years. Down double digits. Drive to the basket missed shot by Owens, but then a freshman David Johnson elevates and pounds the offensive rebound dunk over Dikembe Mutombo.

Crowd comes to life. Energy begins to crackle back into the Dome. The team makes a remarkable comeback--but it was definitely spearheaded by that dunk.

Best game I've ever been to in person. March 6, 1989 [still remember the date]. Sherman Douglas's final game in the Carrier Dome. Huge comeback victory.

That stretch around 1:17 of the video, I've never heard the Dome more raucous [maybe Pitt 2003 came close]. I have this game on tape, and have probably watched it 100 times over the years.

The 2nd half comeback is one of the greatest runs I've ever seen. It literally was UVa game - esque.

The Coleman steal, pass to Owens, pass to Douglas, back to Owens with the lob for the dunk and-1 might be the most exciting sequence in SU bball history.

The comment by Musberger "just imagine the future battles between Owens and Mourning" would never be uttered today.

And...,those teams are sooo much bigger than anything you see today.

Owens / Coleman; Mourning / Motombo not just tall but those players are thick.

The comment by Musberger "just imagine the future battles between Owens and Mourning" would never be uttered today.

So true.

Watching the NBA after watching college, you can tell 1 is the Men's League and 1 is the boys.

Not so much in the 80s and early 90s.

How John Thompson had Alonzo Mourning and Dikembe Mutombo on the sae the team and never made the Final Four is pure insanity.

Teams couldn't get 60 points last year on Kentucky because of Wily Cauley-Stein and Karl Anthony Towns how the heck did Georgetown for 3 years with Mourning and Mutombo did they only reach the Elite 8 one time.

How John Thompson had Alonzo Mourning and Dikembe Mutombo on the sae the team and never made the Final Four is pure insanity.

Teams couldn't get 60 points last year on Kentucky because of Wily Cauley-Stein and Karl Anthony Towns how the heck did Georgetown for 3 years with Mourning and Mutombo did they only reach the Elite 8 one time.
The answer is...when it comes to G-town...as usual they huff and puff and then we blow their house down.
From '88-89 thru '90-'91 we were 5-2 against the Mourning-Motombo teams.

They were successful against teams they could intimidate.
That doesn't work against when the opponent is wearing orange.

They are so despicable.
Just writing this my blood is starting to boil.
When do we play them next?

And did I see man to man Dee ... ?!!!

Yah there's more beef on the court than you see at Delmonicos. And the height --- we have DC in the middle and bring Manning (7') off the bench. And JT has Morning and Metumbo inside at the same time ... are you kidding me?

Last edited:
The Coleman steal, pass to Owens, pass to Douglas, back to Owens with the lob for the dunk and-1 might be the most exciting sequence in SU bball history.
It has the same adrenaline rush as Rocky unloading on Creed or Drago... especially after how listless they were.

That crowd was frigging insane. Hate to sound like an old guy telling younger people how much better things were in our day...but holy crap...I forget how much more into the games the crowds were.

When Georgetown came to town it was Hollywood good vs evil. We wore the white hats.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom