SU has heated competition going on for starting right guard spot | Syracusefan.com

SU has heated competition going on for starting right guard spot

This is a good sign. Most people assumed that Trudo would easily pass Foy. Foy is more of a player than originally thought. The last two classes have added some interesting OL prospects. Knapp and Emerich look mean and nasty in their clips. I like linemen that hit the first guy and then look for the next. Palmer has great size. Adding Officer and possibly Curtis would continue to add depth. Does anyone know if Hickey will be eligible for six years?

Based on PT and who started Saturday Foy appears to be in the lead. Can't wait until after Wednesday to see who wins these position battles. And I hope Lemon, Flemming, Bromley, and Shamarko are ready to go by Friday. If not then they might not be ready for NW. Hard to miss that much time and just jump into playing a game. We really need those guys back to practice by week's end.

This is a good sign. Most people assumed that Trudo would easily pass Foy. Foy is more of a player than originally thought. The last two classes have added some interesting OL prospects. Knapp and Emerich look mean and nasty in their clips. I like linemen that hit the first guy and then look for the next. Palmer has great size. Adding Officer and possibly Curtis would continue to add depth. Does anyone know if Hickey will be eligible for six years?

Key point sometimes OL guys are big smart guys who don't have an aggressive, mean streak. We need OL guys with DL attitude.

Key point sometimes OL guys are big smart guys who don't have an aggressive, mean streak. We need OL guys with DL attitude.
You just described Emerich and Knapp. At least one of them was an accomplished HS wrestler, which is also a great trait.. Too lazy to look-up which one.

Based on PT and who started Saturday Foy appears to be in the lead. Can't wait until after Wednesday to see who wins these position battles. And I hope Lemon, Flemming, Bromley, and Shamarko are ready to go by Friday. If not then they might not be ready for NW. Hard to miss that much time and just jump into playing a game. We really need those guys back to practice by week's end.

From what I saw, Trudo is going to win the battle. He played more with the 1st team on Saturday.

Side note: the morons posting over at Syracuse.com are of course bringing this all back to Macky (saying Trudo should be pushing him for C). They have no idea what they are talking about. Macky is a leader on that line this year. His job is locked up until he graduates. He had complete control of the line on Saturday, vocally and as an anchor.

From what I saw, Trudo is going to win the battle. He played more with the 1st team on Saturday.

Side note: the morons posting over at Syracuse.com are of course bringing this all back to Macky (saying Trudo should be pushing him for C). They have no idea what they are talking about. Macky is a leader on that line this year. His job is locked up until he graduates. He had complete control of the line on Saturday, vocally and as an anchor.

How did Mackey handle the blocking? Did he hold up. My concern is having to have Chibane help him or keeping a FB in to help.

Yep. Not to mention, Macky is now up to nearly 280. That is legitimate BCS center size. The bitching about his lack of girth should officially be over now.

Id be shocked if Flemming is ready to play for NW, not hearing great things.

Macky is set in stone at center. When its all said and done, he will be a 3 year starter. We will be able to look back and say he was a very productive player despite being undersized. I have my doubts at times but he works his azz off, he's a good character kid, so I trust him and the staff. I think the trudo to center thing is dead. His focus is at guard. The staff would put phillips in if something was to happen to Macky. I would think the staff would want to redshirt Emerich. When its all said and done, Trudo could be a 3 or 4 year starter at (RG/LG), Foy could be a 3 or 4 year starter at (RG/LG) along with Knapp (OT) and Emerich (C). You add in Hickey (LT) and Robinson and Curtis as back ups at Tackles. Palmer and Officer as backups at Guard. Our OL issues will disappear.

Macky is set in stone at center. When its all said and done, he will be a 3 year starter. We will be able to look back and say he was a very productive player despite being undersized. I have my doubts at times but he works his azz off, he's a good character kid, so I trust him and the staff. I think the trudo to center thing is dead. His focus is at guard. The staff would put phillips in if something was to happen to Macky. I would think the staff would want to redshirt Emerich. When its all said and done, Trudo could be a 3 or 4 year starter at (RG/LG), Foy could be a 3 or 4 year starter at (RG/LG) along with Knapp (OT) and Emerich (C). You add in Hickey (LT) and Robinson and Curtis as back ups at Tackles. Palmer and Officer as backups at Guard. Our OL issues will disappear.

That nucleus of first / second year guys is what makes me cautiously optimistic that the OL will go from being a liability to a relative strength of the team in the near future. Might not fully click this year, but we're on the cusp.

Well, it sounds like some of the posters on the board will need to actually start watching some games so they can pick a new name to blame everything on.

Well, it sounds like some of the posters on the board will need to actually start watching some games so they can pick a new name to blame everything on.

That has always puzzled me, why some fans need that one player to bust on for 3 or 4 years and it's usually an area kid.

Id be shocked if Flemming is ready to play for NW, not hearing great things.

Heard he will be back but not for the opener, if that is the case bring him back after Stony if possible

Heard he will be back but not for the opener, if that is the case bring him back after Stony if possible

Agreed, get him back for Minnesota if possible, hes not going to make a difference versus USC anyway so no need to rush it.