SU new DC From current staff or outside? | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

SU new DC From current staff or outside?

Hire outside the program. None of these coaches have proved they can recruit. We are the only ACC program without a four star recruit the past two years. White hasn’t brought in any four star talent. White leaving will probably cause a couple of players to portal and it’s hard to imagine anyone in the portal committing to SU.

hmmmmmm...Bronco has been DC at BYU and a few other smaller schools.
But what caught my eye was he was DC under Rocky Long at New Mexico ST
where they employed what was described as a "blitz happy 3-3-5 defense".

Not happy about losing White, especially to freakin' Nebraska...SERIOUSLY TONY??!!
Wait a year, I'll bet ya something better will have shown up than DC at Lincoln.
He'll be home at SDSt as soon as it opens again

I know he’s most likely going to Colorado but go offer Mike Zimmer a job (one can dream)

Hire outside the program. None of these coaches have proved they can recruit. We are the only ACC program without a four star recruit the past two years. White hasn’t brought in any four star talent. White leaving will probably cause a couple of players to portal and it’s hard to imagine anyone in the portal committing to SU.
White is known as a great recruiter. Kinda hard recruiting here and Monroe is a good recruiter

I know, following ND as my #2 team, Mickens is a dog on the trail, especially in the secondary.

Whether it was a move to a HC or bigger program this was always a threat, and is a clear representation on where Cuse is in the greater "pecking order" of schools.

Wish Tony all the best.

If Cuse is serious, an outside, proven DC should be priority one. Is there risk to lose our best recruiting coach, of course. But a co-cordinator title could be there. Is Cuse willing and able to pay for that title and retention?

I would like to think they can, especially with the focus on the offensive side of the ball last year.

Man, a dog on the recruiting trail aye? I’m in for that! I mean my god, if you can recruit at ND you can recruit anywhere! Must have been super hard for him…

I understand the desire for a continuity hire like Monroe but do we want to give someone with no DC experience (outside 1 year as a co in 2009 at Colgate) their first shot?
Was Tony’s resume better than Nick’s prior to his hire?

Man, a dog on the recruiting trail aye? I’m in for that! I mean my god, if you can recruit at ND you can recruit anywhere! Must have been super hard for him…
His recuiting acumen goes back to his time at Cincinnati too.

But then again, Cincinnati (even two years ago when he last coached there) is a better program and easier to recruit to then Cuse. What was I thinking bringing that up?!

Who could be the Orange’s next DC?

The college coaching carousel could carry any number of assistants or current defensive coordinators to SU. Here are a few who might crack the list of candidates.

Nick Monroe (SU, safeties): Monroe’s long tenure alongside Babers makes him the perfect internal hire if Syracuse opts to go that route. He knows what his head coach likes, already has a rapport with players and could hypothetically continue the 3-3-5 system. He has one year of experience in a co-defensive coordinator role at Colgate in 2009.

Phil Bennett (University of North Texas, DC): Bennett, who’s currently serving as UNT’s interim head coach, has been a defensive coordinator at nine different schools dating back to 1984 when he was at Iowa State. He and Babers had a season of overlap at Baylor back in 2011.

Mike Mickens (Notre Dame, Cornerbacks): Mickens as an assistant under Babers at Bowling Green from 2014-15 leading cornerbacks but did not get brought along at the time to SU. He’s since coached at Cincinnati and is now at Notre Dame coaching the same position group. While he doesn’t have DC experience, his connection to Babers, history as a former player and time spent coaching a talented defensive program could get his name on the list.
Monroe yes. The rest, you cant be serious

I wonder what the players want? I bet they will push for one of the assistants to get promoted.

Coach P for DC. As part of the deal, he’ll bring this play with him involving the QB rolling right and throwing across the field to the TE. Good enough play that it can be used 2x per game.
He would do it too, guy loves to coach

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom