SU player with the most NBA potential? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

SU player with the most NBA potential?

I would have to say DC and MCW as they both have the size and skills. I think CJ and Southerland are both tweeners. Triche has a shot if he can prove to be a strong playmaker. Everybody loves 6'4" point guards. I'm interested to see how well he shoots next year.

Ok I will bite. I think James has the second most NBA potential (MCW is a giving). He is NBA long, NBA athletic, and has NBA range on his shot. I see him as a wing defender/spot-up shooter in the NBA. High IQ guys don't get drafted CJ has not developed a NBA skill yet.

This. The only problem is James still has to drastically improve his ball-handling in my opinion and work on his shot selection. But I think he's a very interesting NBA prospect with his size, athleticism, and shooting ability.

I would say CJ has a different skill set, not a worse one. Remember, Kris was never much of a shooter until he finally improved this year, and he's never had a very good handle. CJ is already a better rebounder than Kris ever was, and I'd say he finishes better around the basket than Kris, as well. Kris was purely a slasher as a sophomore, and he was a better passer than CJ, but otherwise I'm not sure he really did anything (as a sophomore) that much better than CJ last year.
I would say CJ as a soph is one dimensional compared to KJ as a soph. Already by the end of his second season, KJ had demonstrated the ability to play both wing positions and both forward positions - he even played emergency minutes at center. Kris had good form on his jumper even if his percentage was low (not unlike Demetris Nichols), but he also had the ability to drive from the perimeter, either all the way to the tin or to pull up and hit the mid range jumper with consistency. CJ, on the other hand, is a 3 in a 4's body 4 in a 3's body; he can really only play that one position - he has no demonstrated perimeter skills that would allow to him to play on the wing in anything other than spot duty. Maybe he has a secret trove of skills that he never got a chance to demonstrate, but based on what we have seen, he is what he is - an undersized 4 with no NBA skills.

Regarding CJ, I think he has a lot of potential left in his game, but I don't know where he'll end up in the NBA. I think he will be an NBA player eventually if he continues the path that he is on. He improved his jumpshot big time last year compared to his freshman season, and can now knock down some baseline jumpshots along with his great finishing ability. His ball-handling improved and is now ok for a small forward at least. Physically, he's very gifted. Just needs to improve on his skills, but his ability to penetrate and finish is definitely his calling card right now.

I think MCW, Xmas, and Southerland have more potential though.

thatsa esay rak he ll be an nba alstar jb misreasd his game

Welcome back Igor.
I'm not sure JB is misreading Rak as much as he is trying to get him to understand what he needs to do. But, I'll agree he could possibly end up being an all star.

This. The only problem is James still has to drastically improve his ball-handling in my opinion and work on his shot selection. But I think he's a very interesting NBA prospect with his size, athleticism, and shooting ability.

He won't be asked to handle the ball except in the open floor on the break (2 dibbles and dunk), shot selection won't be an issue either because as role player he won't get a lot of shot opportunities. Shoot the open 3 play tough defensive if he can do that he can have a nice career. There are 450 jobs in the NBA only about 90 (3 per team) of those jobs are labeled scorer.

Southerland is like a 35% career 3 point shooter. He's going to need to improve that if h e's going to make the NBA based on being a shooter

nobody has been a bigger Southerland than me, and I do agree that he has the highest ceiling of anyone on the team, but at this point it doesn't look like he will reach that ceiling. Hope I am wrong, but we have to go by what we have seen, not by what we hope might occur

Southerland is like a 35% career 3 point shooter. He's going to need to improve that if h e's going to make the NBA based on being a shooter
If he can shoot 35% from the NBA line he has a job. That equates to 50% from 2. Think Thabo Sefolosha Wes Johnson is being groomed as this type player as well ( I was hoping for more from him). We will see if can shoot 37% this year he will get drafted because is measurables are going to be off the chain.

I would say CJ as a soph is one dimensional compared to KJ as a soph. Already by the end of his second season, KJ had demonstrated the ability to play both wing positions and both forward positions - he even played emergency minutes at center. Kris had good form on his jumper even if his percentage was low (not unlike Demetris Nichols), but he also had the ability to drive from the perimeter, either all the way to the tin or to pull up and hit the mid range jumper with consistency. CJ, on the other hand, is a 3 in a 4's body; he can really only play that one position - he has no demonstrated perimeter skills that would allow to him to play on the wing in anything other than spot duty. Maybe he has a secret trove of skills that he never got a chance to demonstrate, but based on what we have seen, he is what he is - an undersized 4 with no NBA skills.

Yeah, the numbers don't back me up on this (as a sophomore, Kris shot 22% from three and CJ shot 25%), but Joseph always looked like a better shooter than CJ has. And he was a lot more adept with the ball, both in the half-court and in transition (CJ has, of course, had fewer opportunities, though I'd be willing to bet that's based on what he's demonstrated in practice).

Something very strange (and fortunate, from a fan's standpoint) would have to happen to CJ in the next two seasons for him to get drafted by an NBA team.

Carter-Williams and Rakeem will have every opportunity, should they improve. Southerland could play his way in (assuming a career year and some impressive workouts). As for Coleman, his best-case scenario is a Sullinger-type situation; barring a crazy growth spurt, one has to think his size will always be a limitation.

Regarding CJ, I think he has a lot of potential left in his game, but I don't know where he'll end up in the NBA. I think he will be an NBA player eventually if he continues the path that he is on. He improved his jumpshot big time last year compared to his freshman season, and can now knock down some baseline jumpshots along with his great finishing ability. His ball-handling improved and is now ok for a small forward at least. Physically, he's very gifted. Just needs to improve on his skills, but his ability to penetrate and finish is definitely his calling card right now.

I think MCW, Xmas, and Southerland have more potential though.

I'll beat Moqui to the punch on this one: the numbers don't bear this out. CJ took - and made - a lot more jumpers this past year. But his percentages didn't jump. His jump-shooting was so ineffective that it actually dragged his overall field goal percentage down from 54% to 46%.

He works hard, and I understand his father's a smart basketball guy. I expect CJ to get his reps and become a respectable jump-shooter at some point (if not this season, then hopefully as a senior). He should follow Joseph's trajectory in this regard. But as of now, he doesn't score from outside of eight feet with any regularity.

As an aside (and I hope this doesn't sound too much like player-bashing; more of a surprised observation), this is the first time I've looked at our stats since the season ended. I'm stunned that Joseph's field-goal percentage was the worst of all the regulars. Even assuming that he was quietly hurt this year (a la Terrance Roberts), I'll forever think he was misused on this team. He was too good a player to shoot 42.1% for a season.

I'll beat Moqui to the punch on this one: the numbers don't bear this out. CJ took - and made - a lot more jumpers this past year. But his percentages didn't jump. His jump-shooting was so ineffective that it actually dragged his overall field goal percentage down from 54% to 46%.

He works hard, and I understand his father's a smart basketball guy. I expect CJ to get his reps and become a respectable jump-shooter at some point (if not this season, then hopefully as a senior). He should follow Joseph's trajectory in this regard. But as of now, he doesn't score from outside of eight feet with any regularity.

You don't need statistics to see the strides Fair made as a shooter. He literally couldn't shoot his freshman year. He didn't know how.

He did have that one huge slump down the stretch though where he missed EVERY SINGLE JUMPER lol. But he's definitely a better shooter than he was as a freshman.

Kind of crazy that we really didn't have anyone we could truly count on to hit a shot (percentage wise), but we made the Elite 8 with a committee approach.

Kind of crazy that we really didn't have anyone we could truly count on to hit a shot (percentage wise), but we made the Elite 8 with a committee approach.

And people hate the zone;)

we made the elite eight with a committee approach for everything, not just threes.

i feel like next year will be similar in that all nine guys will contribute and step up at different times.

though it would be nice to have a reliable 3 point shooter.

I would say CJ as a soph is one dimensional compared to KJ as a soph. Already by the end of his second season, KJ had demonstrated the ability to play both wing positions and both forward positions - he even played emergency minutes at center. Kris had good form on his jumper even if his percentage was low (not unlike Demetris Nichols), but he also had the ability to drive from the perimeter, either all the way to the tin or to pull up and hit the mid range jumper with consistency. CJ, on the other hand, is a 3 in a 4's body 4 in a 3's body; he can really only play that one position - he has no demonstrated perimeter skills that would allow to him to play on the wing in anything other than spot duty. Maybe he has a secret trove of skills that he never got a chance to demonstrate, but based on what we have seen, he is what he is - an undersized 4 with no NBA skills.

Idk what KJ (sophomore year) you were watching but he could only slash and bring high energy off the bench. Also idk why you bring up the emergency center thing, the guy did it once when everyone was fouled out. I did think he was going to explode, unfortunately that never happened. I believe CJ's game is much more refined (except for his 3pt shot, which KJ didnt have his sophomore year either) and he will finish with a great college career. I believe he will have a great year next year. I think he does everything a little better then KJ did, but his height and length will prevent him from doing anything in the NBA. I hope I'm wrong about this but there is no way CJ is 6'7, he is closer to 6'5 and he is not a long lengthy guy. This will be a problem because 3's in the NBA are generally long lengthy 6'8 guys. In the NBA he would have the game of a 4 in a 2's body.

MCW,Rak, DC2 have the body but will their skills grow into the position thats best suited for them. Might add Gbinije to this list as well he was a AA.

Triche, Southerland, CJ, Keita, have to add skills to their game. Cooney and Grant might surprise and be well rounded from day one.
Triche and Southerland do have the potential this year, both of them.

obviously, carter-williams has the body and seemingly the ability to be a good NBA guard, but i think if CJ can improve each summer the way he did from freshman to sophomore year, then he has as good a chance as any SU player to succeed in the league.

CJ has good instincts and a high basketball IQ. needs to focus on defense and ball handling and improving his shooting range and consistency.

Sorry. The people who play the 3 in the NBA, which is where he would have to play, all are super-studs in college. CJ doesn't have the offensive skills to play the position in the NBA.

obviously, carter-williams has the body and seemingly the ability to be a good NBA guard, but i think if CJ can improve each summer the way he did from freshman to sophomore year, then he has as good a chance as any SU player to succeed in the league.

CJ has good instincts and a high basketball IQ. needs to focus on defense and ball handling and improving his shooting range and consistency.

NBA POTENTIAL / AREAS FOR IMPROVEMENT:

1. MCW has the size, vision and shooting ability to play in the NBA, but currently lacks the body. Can he bulk up enough to be able to defend physical point guards ? If so, he's a pro.

2. Rakeem Christmas - he has the size of an NBA 4. He has no jump shot, however. If he can't develop a serviceable mid-range jump shot in the next couple years, forget about him ever playing in the NBA. He's too small to play center.

3. Jerami Grant - he has a lot of ability and skill. He has a well-rounded game, can play inside and outside. Blocks shots, has good hops, nice form on his shot, very smooth. Great instincts. Will he learn to rebound and bang? He will be looked at as an NBA 3. I can see him going in the first round in a couple years, if he works hard and fills out a bit.

4. Coleman. I haven't seen enough of him, but if he can get his conditioning together and has a decent mid-range jump shot, I think he has a shot. He's got soft hands, uses his body well, and doesn't act like a small forward in a big man's body, always hanging out at the 3 point line. We'll have to see about his motor and his work ethic, but the tools are there for him to be successful.

CJ Fair, James Southerland, Brandon Triche, Baye Keita, Trevor Cooney - Cooney may have a slim shot of making it, but the rest of them will be playing overseas.

Idk what KJ (sophomore year) you were watching but he could only slash and bring high energy off the bench. Also idk why you bring up the emergency center thing, the guy did it once when everyone was fouled out. I did think he was going to explode, unfortunately that never happened. I believe CJ's game is much more refined (except for his 3pt shot, which KJ didnt have his sophomore year either) and he will finish with a great college career.

I believe he will have a great year next year. I think he does everything a little better then KJ did, but his height and length will prevent him from doing anything in the NBA. I hope I'm wrong about this but there is no way CJ is 6'7, he is closer to 6'5 and he is not a long lengthy guy. This will be a problem because 3's in the NBA are generally long lengthy 6'8 guys. In the NBA he would have the game of a 4 in a 2's body.

I agree with quite a bit in your post. Like you, I think he's poised for a big year next season. Moqui and I disagree about CJ's game [have had a friendly ongoing debate about this for two years], but I agree with you that CJ is further along than KJ in just about every dimension, with the lone exception that KJ showed more of an ability to handle in the open floor / slash to the hole in transition than what CJ has showed so far. Please note that this doesn't mean that CJ can't handle the ball, just that he generally plays within himself, generally doesn't try to do too much / force [a function of high basketball IQ], and in practice handles the ball much more than what he's shown in games up to this point. But I believe that CJ is further along in his developmental curve on every other dimension of the developmental curve--rebounding, defense footwork, mid-range shooting, passing, general basketball IQ.

Two other quick things. First, I think that CJ is going to show much more expanded ability to put the ball on the floor than what most seem to believe next year. KJ at the same stage [sophomore year] took it to the ball well in transition, but showed no complimentary offense to doing that. He didn't have a mid-range game--and in fact, never developed one during his career at SU--and he didn't start showing a consistent three point shot until his junior year. Many of the same questions about CJ's shooting today were the same things people were saying about KJ after his sophomore year, In fact, many posters expressed the opinion between KJ's soph / junior campaigns that he would never develop as a shooter, and as we know he came back with a much improved three point shot the following year. I'd expect CJ to show the same improvement between this year and next.

Second, a lot of people in this thread suggest that CJ is an undersized 4. I don't believe that at all--I think that that's where the team NEEDED him to play, so he fulfilled that role to the best of his ability. In fact, he is a 3 who is going to show a more versatile, expanded skill set as a firmly entrenched starter next season.

To maximize his potential, he needs to do three things: (1) demonstrate that he can put the ball on the floor and create his own shot, (2) show more consistency on his jump shot, out to three point range, and (3) develop the ability to score with his back to the basket. I'm very confident about the first two skills. He hasn't shown any semblance of a low post game as yet [neither did KJ, for that matter]. If he adds that third dimension, he's going to be a walking mismatch at the collegiate level.

To maximize his potential, he needs to do three things: (1) demonstrate that he can put the ball on the floor and create his own shot, (2) show more consistency on his jump shot, out to three point range, and (3) develop the ability to score with his back to the basket. I'm very confident about the first two skills. He hasn't shown any semblance of a low post game as yet [neither did KJ, for that matter]. If he adds that third dimension, he's going to be a walking mismatch at the collegiate level.
first and foremost, he is going to have to learn to go to his right, because if he ever becomes a primary option, defenders are going learn quickly just to sit on his left hand. Maybe he can go right, but he never does.

first and foremost, he is going to have to learn to go to his right, because if he ever becomes a primary option, defenders are going learn quickly just to sit on his left hand. Maybe he can go right, but he never does.

Very true--no argument there. I don't really like the Pace comparison that many make with CJ, but in that respect he is identical to Josh in that he has only shown a left hand.

Ok I will bite. I think James has the second most NBA potential (MCW is a giving). He is NBA long, NBA athletic, and has NBA range on his shot. I see him as a wing defender/spot-up shooter in the NBA. High IQ guys don't get drafted CJ has not developed a NBA skill yet.
IMO, based on production and skills shown to date, James might play in Russia.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2