SU player with the most NBA potential? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

SU player with the most NBA potential?

first and foremost, he is going to have to learn to go to his right, because if he ever becomes a primary option, defenders are going learn quickly just to sit on his left hand. Maybe he can go right, but he never does.

You know, Devendorf always went left and nobody ever seemed to stop him. It can be done.

You know, Devendorf always went left and nobody ever seemed to stop him. It can be done.
Devo was a right handed player who went left a lot, that is different than being left handed player who can only go left!

Devo was a right handed player who went left a lot, that is different than being left handed player who can only go left!
Devo was also a great shooter, had nice handle and was faster/quicker than CJ.

I like CJ, but I just dont see all the high expectations. In order of importance for our team being a contender next year I see it as Triche-MCW-DC2-then whoever wins the majority of minutes between Fair/Southerland. Unless Fair has developed a reliable 3 point shot and better handle im not sold.

Next year we will actually have shooters and presumably a post presence but if we start Fair at the 3 we become pretty congested in the paint. I would start Southerland for spacing and bring Fair off the bench at the 3/4.

Let me be the first to say the answer is Jerami Grant.

I'm surprised so many missed it. The question is asking for NBA potential.
Yes, MCW may be a good pro, but he will always be limited in the quickness department. Rak - please, it's too much of a stretch to see him all BE at this point. CJ should have a good college career. J Grant has the possiblity of being NBA all-league. His relatives were, with the same build.

I would go further than that though. I say that not only does J Grant have the most potential but has the highest odds of acheiving it (MCW is close). Not only does it seem like Grant has the physical tools but he is showing the mental makeup - the patience, the delay of gratification, the ability to see the big picture and to make it a reality. He is not rushing in for playing time. All indicators seem to suggest that he has mature, intelligent people advising and coaching him. Seems like he has excellent advisors in this career training and has already begun.

Let me be the first to say the answer is Jerami Grant.

I'm surprised so many missed it. The question is asking for NBA potential.
Yes, MCW may be a good pro, but he will always be limited in the quickness department. Rak - please, it's too much of a stretch to see him all BE at this point. CJ should have a good college career. J Grant has the possiblity of being NBA all-league. His relatives were, with the same build.

I would go further than that though. I say that not only does J Grant have the most potential but has the highest odds of acheiving it (MCW is close). Not only does it seem like Grant has the physical tools but he is showing the mental makeup - the patience, the delay of gratification, the ability to see the big picture and to make it a reality. He is not rushing in for playing time. All indicators seem to suggest that he has mature, intelligent people advising and coaching him. Seems like he has excellent advisors in this career training and has already begun.

When I started reading that last paragraph, I thought you were going to put him in the Basketball Hall of Fame. ;)

If he can shoot 35% from the NBA line he has a job. That equates to 50% from 2. Think Thabo Sefolosha Wes Johnson is being groomed as this type player as well ( I was hoping for more from him). We will see if can shoot 37% this year he will get drafted because is measurables are going to be off the chain.

Perhaps, but he isn't shooting 35% from the NBA line right now. He's shooting 35% from the college line, so a little difference. Also he hasn't had the chance to show he can be any kind of defensive stopper.

Perhaps, but he isn't shooting 35% from the NBA line right now. He's shooting 35% from the college line, so a little difference. Also he hasn't had the chance to show he can be any kind of defensive stopper.
I think he plays the best wing defensive in the zone I have ever seen covers a ton of ground and closes out great. His biggest weakness in our system is rebounding but NBA wing defenders are not really asked to rebound they are defending on the perimeter so they only expected to get long bounds. Plus defensive is largely related to athleticism, and he will shine with his measurables. I'm not calling him a 1st rounder or anything but he has the measurables and that is have the battle. Someone will take a second rounder flyer on him.

NBA POTENTIAL / AREAS FOR IMPROVEMENT:

1. MCW has the size, vision and shooting ability to play in the NBA, but currently lacks the body. Can he bulk up enough to be able to defend physical point guards ? If so, he's a pro.

2. Rakeem Christmas - he has the size of an NBA 4. He has no jump shot, however. If he can't develop a serviceable mid-range jump shot in the next couple years, forget about him ever playing in the NBA. He's too small to play center.

3. Jerami Grant - he has a lot of ability and skill. He has a well-rounded game, can play inside and outside. Blocks shots, has good hops, nice form on his shot, very smooth. Great instincts. Will he learn to rebound and bang? He will be looked at as an NBA 3. I can see him going in the first round in a couple years, if he works hard and fills out a bit.

4. Coleman. I haven't seen enough of him, but if he can get his conditioning together and has a decent mid-range jump shot, I think he has a shot. He's got soft hands, uses his body well, and doesn't act like a small forward in a big man's body, always hanging out at the 3 point line. We'll have to see about his motor and his work ethic, but the tools are there for him to be successful.

CJ Fair, James Southerland, Brandon Triche, Baye Keita, Trevor Cooney - Cooney may have a slim shot of making it, but the rest of them will be playing overseas.

1. Agreed. MCW seems to have a good shot with his skillset, but who knows, he was limited as a Frosh so it will be interesting to see his development.
2. Rak - I think his shot is fine - his form is decent, and he looked okay at the line. He just has to get it together and show he can hit it with regularity and be more aggressive around the rim.
3. No clue.
4. No clue yet.

5. I think Southerland has an outside shot based on his outside shot, but he has to put together a good year to get on the radar. Odds are against it happening. I've always been a fan though so I'll stay positive.