SU players in the NBA | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

SU players in the NBA

The other day the had a stat of Michigan State players in the NBA and it was only three guys Randolph, Richardson, and Brown. Are they not known as a good man D team? Have they not had a ton of success? Who cares about NBA players.

The other day the had a stat of Michigan State players in the NBA and it was only three guys Randolph, Richardson, and Brown. Are they not known as a good man D team? Have they not had a ton of success? Who cares about NBA players.
There have been probably more Alabama players in the NBA from the last 20 years, than from all but 3-5 teams.

I haven't seen anyone address the difference between getting a player ready for the NBA versus putting together a winning team. Is this a chicken and egg thing or is it just a lot of bs on that high school coaches part.
One thing that most of us agree on is JB's ability to take players who were not highly ranked coming out of high school and turning them into good college players. I guess he's failed if he doesn't make them NBA ready. :rolleyes:[/quot

I think if a player is going to go pro after one year or even two, that whatever college coach it is has little to do with his ability to play at the next level Guys like Calipari are given credit for his ability to get guys "NBA ready" even though they are only his stead hardly long enough for him to make a difference, at least in terms of developing skills ready for the NBA. It's very rare for a player like Fab Melo to come in and stink up the joint only to have a coaching staff revive him from the dead. I think more often than not only marginal four year players have any true difference made as far as if they can play in the NBA, everyone else was going anyways, often without sufficient knowledge, and if they are great players, then they will be great, developing at the next level instead of in the NCAA's

I think you need to isolate guys that would have gone straight out of HS too. It's no fantastic achievment to take a guy that was already going to go lottery out of HS and turn him into a lottery selection after his Frosh year.

Did Texas really make Kevin Durant? Did Ohio State hinder Oden's development? One counts as a superstar, the other a bust - but college did nothing to really make those players who they were.

How many players on that All-Star list would have been first round picks coming out of HS? Probably most.

You'll have exceptions like Deron Williams - but at the end of the day the more impressive stories are the Andy Rautins, or Josh Harrelsons of the world (using him because he came up in that insane UK thread). Those guys probably had a one percent shot at making the NBA coming out of HS - and they made it. I guess after that it's just who you want to heap credit upon - the coach, the player, or both.

As a sports fan, I've heard many crazy things. However, I must admit that never in my life did I think I would hear it is not a coach's job to get wins.