SU players who transferred thread | Syracusefan.com

SU players who transferred thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SWC75

Bored Historian
Might as well put it under one tent.

Here's how they are doing so far:

Bad game vs. Fairly Ridiculous. Good game vs. Yale but Michigan: yeech. Went from averaging 21 minutes here to 19 at Seton Hall.

Decent games vs. Texas Southern and SMU. Poor game in blow-out loss to BYU. Hitting 29% from three point range. Rebounding has bene his best stat.

Found his shooting stroke against minor opposition.

34 minutes in 4 games. 2 for 8 shooting, all threes.

It's early but I'm not really missing them so far.

Bad game vs. Fairly Ridiculous. Good game vs. Yale but Michigan: yeech. Went from averaging 21 minutes here to 19 at Seton Hall.

Decent games vs. Texas Southern and SMU. Poor game in blow-out loss to BYU. Hitting 29% from three point range. Rebounding has bene his best stat.

Interesting. Thanks for this!

Kadary would have been a better third guard than Symir. Kadary was an ideal player for us. He’s an excellent driver who can get into the lane to score or dish, is a very good passer, and was great in the zone with deflections and steals. He also has a better shot than Sy. The problem is that he’s being coached by the mediocre Willard, who has four or five options at guard this season and needs scoring. Kadary needs more experience before he can become that. The Hall also plays man to man, which KR is having to adjust to and is clearly struggling with. As JB suspected and seemed to be saying, Kadary needs another year of seasoning to really become what he can be. But he would have been a key third guard/sixth man for us had he returned. Syracuse was a better fit for him, but hope he can make it work at Hall over the next few years. Willard is not a good coach.

I missed Jalen's 8 points in the URI - BC game but caught him make a bad turnover.

URI has a vet squad thats great on D and hes pretty buried on it. Not a sniff down the stretch.

Would be nice to have a thread about former players not get locked anything too negative will be deleted anyways.

Played well against Boston U.

In his best game, against Sacred Heart, he committed 4 fouls in 13 minutes.

... Kadary was an ideal player for us. ... The problem is that he’s being coached by the mediocre Willard. ... Willard is not a good coach.
True. JB is able to get more out of his players, and gets them to play to their strengths. Kadary complained about JB not allowing him to shoot threes, but he hasn't hit even one three this year, so far.

I watched Oregon vs BYU and it was the dumpster fire of all dumpster fire games, but I do think I understand the recruiting pitch Guerrier got.

Oregon played a lot of 5 out sets, giving their guards wide open lanes to drive to the basket. I imagine they saw Guerrier as a guy who was a good enough 3 point shooter to keep his defender honest and covering him, and a good enough rebounder to help their small line up not get totally rolled on the boards.

From Guerrier's perspective, instead of operating in the post here (something no NBA team wants from a 6'7 player) he could hang out on the parameter and shoot corner 3's there (something every NBA team covets).

Guerrier was unusually honest about his reasons for leaving, which I respect, and I can see how what he wanted fits with what Oregon is doing.

I think most SU fans appreciate him and wish him well, I know I do. But I dont think too many SU fans are going to miss him. Guerrier is likely to be pretty inefficient playing that way, and he's a good rebounder so I'm sure he will grab his fair share, but I'd bet on it being less than he got here, because now he is being bodied by the opposing team's center a lot of the time, which is going to make things harder for him than they were here.

Funny enough, he's gets just as lost playing man D as he did playing zone. I saw him lose his man and accidentally start guarding a guy someone on his team was already guarding on two occasions, and the typical floating into no-mans land where he wasn't in position to guard anyone was still prevalent.

I watched Oregon vs BYU and it was the dumpster fire of all dumpster fire games, but I do think I understand the recruiting pitch Guerrier got.

Oregon played a lot of 5 out sets, giving their guards wide open lanes to drive to the basket. I imagine they saw Guerrier as a guy who was a good enough 3 point shooter to keep his defender honest and covering him, and a good enough rebounder to help their small line up not get totally rolled on the boards.

From Guerrier's perspective, instead of operating in the post here (something no NBA team wants from a 6'7 player) he could hang out on the parameter and shoot corner 3's there (something every NBA team covets).

Guerrier was unusually honest about his reasons for leaving, which I respect, and I can see how what he wanted fits with what Oregon is doing.

I think most SU fans appreciate him and wish him well, I know I do. But I dont think too many SU fans are going to miss him. Guerrier is likely to be pretty inefficient playing that way, and he's a good rebounder so I'm sure he will grab his fair share, but I'd bet on it being less than he got here, because now he is being bodied by the opposing team's center a lot of the time, which is going to make things harder for him than they were here.

Funny enough, he's gets just as lost playing man D as he did playing zone. I saw him lose his man and accidentally start guarding a guy someone on his team was already guarding on two occasions, and the typical floating into no-mans land where he wasn't in position to guard anyone was still prevalent.
He’s just not the type of a talent a top program has trouble papering over.

Why do these threads regarding guys who transferred seem to disappear?
My guess is there a lot of people on this board would like to know how the transfers are doing and this is a good place to find out. I think most of the posters are respectful and not rubbing it in when guys have a bad night.
I was sad to see that Woody got a Dnp last night. I think he would have flourished here if he had been a little patient.
I also thought Kadary looked thicker and a little bit slower the other night. It was interesting that his coach Willard made a comment about his conditioning in light of JB’s past comments. I can’t help but think that if he were still here given all the shooters that we have he would potentially average 7 to 9 assists per game.
I saw the Oregon highlights and they were not kind to Quincy. He did one of his patented drives the basket where he got stuffed which made you wonder if his knees are right. The kid playEd so hard for us and is so easy to root for but I think his best chance to play professionally and perhaps in the league is to be a Corliss Williamson (yes I’m old) type instead of an outside shooter.

Why do these threads regarding guys who transferred seem to disappear?
My guess is there a lot of people on this board would like to know how the transfers are doing and this is a good place to find out. I think most of the posters are respectful and not rubbing it in when guys have a bad night.
I was sad to see that Woody got a Dnp last night. I think he would have flourished here if he had been a little patient.
I also thought Kadary looked thicker and a little bit slower the other night. It was interesting that his coach Willard made a comment about his conditioning in light of JB’s past comments. I can’t help but think that if he were still here given all the shooters that we have he would potentially average 7 to 9 assists per game.
I saw the Oregon highlights and they were not kind to Quincy. He did one of his patented drives the basket where he got stuffed which made you wonder if his knees are right. The kid playEd so hard for us and is so easy to root for but I think his best chance to play professionally and perhaps in the league is to be a Corliss Williamson (yes I’m old) type instead of an outside shooter.
Quincy is a player the same height as Dennis Rodman who excels at rebounding. Unfortunately, for such skills to be valued in the NBA, you also need to have some kind of offensive game around the hoop and Quincy seems to lack that. Driving into the lane for Quincy seems to be more often than not an invitation to disappointment.

He seems to want to counter that weakness with his skills as a 3pt shooter, which are 'good' at the college level. But even though he has the ability to make some threes, he doesn't have the kind of dead-eye marksmanship from deep that shooters have to have in order to attract interest by NBA scouts. Yet that seems to be his aspiration.

I'm not even sure which ability he should try to improve at this point: learning how to score in the paint, or becoming an elite 3pt shooter. He seems to struggle with both right now.

I like Quincy and do appreciate the skills that he does have that are valued at the college level. Hoping he figures it all out...

with all due respect, that position doesn’t exist in the nba anymore.

Everyone his size shoots 30 percent from 3, minimum

True. JB is able to get more out of his players, and gets them to play to their strengths. Kadary complained about JB not allowing him to shoot threes, but he hasn't hit even one three this year, so far.
With all due respect, I think we’re making assumptions that not allowed shooting threes was the reason Kadary left. He had the green light at the end of the year.

With all due respect, I think we’re making assumptions that not allowed shooting threes was the reason Kadary left. He had the green light at the end of the year.
I think you're right about KR having the green light at the end of the year. That's what JB said, anyway. But Kadary has been quoted as saying that "restrictions" were one of the reasons he transferred, and that he wanted to be allowed to shoot more:

“'I just felt like I wanted to go somewhere I could play without restrictions and have a chance to showcase my game,' Richmond told The Athletic on Tuesday afternoon. 'Like, not having to think about certain things out there on the basketball court. More freedom. I learned a lot of things here. One thing I can show people now is that I actually have the ability to shoot the basketball.'”

This is just my guess, but maybe he made up his mind to transfer during the middle part of the season, when he was shooting only 10% from three, and JB said he was restricted.

Honestly when you are a fringe possible NBA guy your probably willing to do whatever you can to get over the hump.

Staying at Syracuse for 3-4 years is likely the best option but I can understand why these guys panicked.

I think our rotation is great but Kadary/Woody/QG would each be a great last piece to our squad had one of them stuck around.

Each has a ton of eligibility remaining I wouldn’t close the book on their NCAA careers. I’ll be rooting for each to get a hardship if they have buyers remorse on the current teams and want to find a new squad.

Honestly when you are a fringe possible NBA guy your probably willing to do whatever you can to get over the hump.

Staying at Syracuse for 3-4 years is likely the best option but I can understand why these guys panicked.

I think our rotation is great but Kadary/Woody/QG would each be a great last piece to our squad had one of them stuck around.

Each has a ton of eligibility remaining I wouldn’t close the book on their NCAA careers. I’ll be rooting for each to get a hardship if they have buyers remorse on the current teams and want to find a new squad.
There should be zero hardship waivers now with the immediate eligibility rule for one time transfers. Otherwise why have a rule. If you leave you can play immediately one time only. Otherwise free for all free agency. Players should have some responsibility in making decisions for themselves. If they make a bad or rushed decision then they need to follow the rules.

Quincy is a player the same height as Dennis Rodman who excels at rebounding. Unfortunately, for such skills to be valued in the NBA, you also need to have some kind of offensive game around the hoop and Quincy seems to lack that. Driving into the lane for Quincy seems to be more often than not an invitation to disappointment.

He seems to want to counter that weakness with his skills as a 3pt shooter, which are 'good' at the college level. But even though he has the ability to make some threes, he doesn't have the kind of dead-eye marksmanship from deep that shooters have to have in order to attract interest by NBA scouts. Yet that seems to be his aspiration.

I'm not even sure which ability he should try to improve at this point: learning how to score in the paint, or becoming an elite 3pt shooter. He seems to struggle with both right now.

I like Quincy and do appreciate the skills that he does have that are valued at the college level. Hoping he figures it all out...
I think basically all Cuse fans as of today wish we kept all the guys who transferred but I hope they realize that unless they have some special skill they won't sniff the NBA. This thread will be interesting to follow all year thru the post season to see how the transfers in and out do.

I would love to have kept Richmond and Newton because I think they could be 'special' players. Guerrier, Griffin and Braswell have been replaced by better players.

It think having a yearly thread like this could be interesting because it's likely to be a normal thing to have a bunch of ex-Cuse guys playing for other teams.

A similar thread on former SU players playing pro ball other than the NBA would be good, too, if the information was as readily available.

QG is in the rarified air of an SU starter, transferring out to another program. Most (all?) of SU transfers have had easily understood issues revolving around minutes/starting.

Guerrier may have given an honest assessment of his reasoning behind his move but it doesn't mean SU fans have to like it. QG is saying he left to go Oregon to chase a miniscule chance at an NBA career. And it looks like QG gave up starter minutes at SU and a run in the NCAAT to do it. That's not a good look for SU (or for him really). You can appreciate what QG did at SU and hope this ridiculous move to Oregon does not pay off with an NBA career.

It's much easier to accept this when you like the current group of players. But, I think I will miss QG. I think he would have fit in great with this team. He could have been the true power forward at the college level. A beast on the boards and clean up basket duty. I think QG is better than Jimmy at this function and it would have buried Benny. But those would have been issues for down the line.

QG is in the rarified air of an SU starter, transferring out to another program. Most (all?) of SU transfers have had easily understood issues revolving around minutes/starting.

Guerrier may have given an honest assessment of his reasoning behind his move but it doesn't mean SU fans have to like it. QG is saying he left to go Oregon to chase a miniscule chance at an NBA career. And it looks like QG gave up starter minutes at SU and a run in the NCAAT to do it. That's not a good look for SU (or for him really). You can appreciate what QG did at SU and hope this ridiculous move to Oregon does not pay off with an NBA career.

It's much easier to accept this when you like the current group of players. But, I think I will miss QG. I think he would have fit in great with this team. He could have been the true power forward at the college level. A beast on the boards and clean up basket duty. I think QG is better than Jimmy at this function and it would have buried Benny. But those would have been issues for down the line.
QG is definitely not clearly better than Jimmy at this point...At best I think there pretty even in ability... each having there own strengths... Jimmy provides Cuse with something that they have not had recently to help the offense and thats a Point forward who can draw defenses and make decisions to help the fluidity of the offense... QG was not a that... The ball stuck with him like many of our recent players... Successful basketball has transitioned to more open space concept ...i.e. the warriors... and Jimmy is a better fit for that system... QG is a little more athletic but he didn't even away with athleticism...JAB knew what he was doing letting QG go and bringing in Jimmy...Its funny that JAB complimented Babers on changing his style...JAB has done that recently and transitioned away from super athletic kids to more shooting with spacing and ball movement and seems to be bringing in higher basketball IQ kids ... Swider, Benny, Jesse, Torrance, Jimmy all seem to fit that bill

QG is definitely not clearly better than Jimmy at this point...At best I think there pretty even in ability... each having there own strengths... Jimmy provides Cuse with something that they have not had recently to help the offense and thats a Point forward who can draw defenses and make decisions to help the fluidity of the offense... QG was not a that... The ball stuck with him like many of our recent players... Successful basketball has transitioned to more open space concept ...i.e. the warriors... and Jimmy is a better fit for that system... QG is a little more athletic but he didn't even away with athleticism...JAB knew what he was doing letting QG go and bringing in Jimmy...Its funny that JAB complimented Babers on changing his style...JAB has done that recently and transitioned away from super athletic kids to more shooting with spacing and ball movement and seems to be bringing in higher basketball IQ kids ... Swider, Benny, Jesse, Torrance, Jimmy all seem to fit that bill
Think Jimmy is better fit than Q but Marek was the best Point forward this program has had in a while, and probably won't see his like again for a while.

With all due respect, Jimmy is not a point forward. He's just not. He may be able to assist in breaking the press, but he's not a point forward. He doesn't direct the offense in half-court sets, and he's not the primary ballhandler bringing the ball up.

He's far more skilled than I initially gave him credit for, but can we please just stop with anointing these kids as more than they are? PLEASE??!!!

Generally, teams employ a point forward when their best playmaker is a forward[1][2][3] rather than a guard.[1] A point forward is typically responsible for bringing the ball up the court and being the primary facilitator on offense to generate assists,[4][1][2] but they may merely direct play once a guard brings the ball up-court.

Last edited:
We have absolutely no way of telling yet if Jimmy’s a better player than QG. It’s been two games.

Two games in last year QG looked like an All American.

Im happy with the transfers we’ve brought in at this point. Each seems to fit well as a piece to a team who may have what it takes to recement Cuse as a top 25 team. Less me guys, more team guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom