SU ranked as one of the most beautiful campuses in America...

OttoMets

Living Legend
Bard and Cornell? Don't hear those campuses called beautiful too often.

Crusty

Living Legend
I’ve been to many of these and they are nice but they left off the prettiest one- Kenyon College. Puts most of these to shame.
One of my daughters went to Kenyon. Beautiful small college campus. Paul Newman went there.

TexanMark

Tailgate Guru
He's a tool bag, was just trying to get a rise from 'cuse alum.

I give major kudos to The Traveler for posting this without forcing people to click 50 times to see the entire list. Nicely done and great photos, except for Syracuse. Not sure why they show us buried in snow and then have Cornell pictured during the summer. The pic of Dartmouth also not so good. Other than that, great pics.
Plus the plug saying it has brutal winters...no mention for Wisconsin, Colgate, Cornell, etc...

Not having West Point is a miss.

Cusefan0307

Basketball Board pissing match observer
He's a tool bag, was just trying to get a rise from 'cuse alum.

I give major kudos to The Traveler for posting this without forcing people to click 50 times to see the entire list. Nicely done and great photos, except for Syracuse. Not sure why they show us buried in snow and then have Cornell pictured during the summer. The pic of Dartmouth also not so good. Other than that, great pics.
He was probably harassing Dan Stanczyk who was his long time producer at ESPN.

I don’t agree with everything he says, but he’s always thought well of JB.

Headmaster 9

Scout Team
One of my best friends went to RIT, which I believe was named the ugliest college campus in America at one point.
My husband went there and still hates brick because of it.

Antiprodigy

2nd String
One of my best friends went to RIT, which I believe was named the ugliest college campus in America at one point.
I went there, and I can't disagree.

On the other hand, someone mentioned U of R as a beautiful campus, and I have to agree with that!

TinyManInside

Desperation Burns.
Bard and Cornell? Don't hear those campuses called beautiful too often.
As an alumnus (or alumnius if prefer the Kavanaugh spelling) of both Cornell and Syracuse, I have say Cornell's campus is like 20 times nicer than SU's campus. I remember spending a lot of time my first couple weeks of grad school exploring the SU campus and thinking, other than a few buildings, it was pretty lackluster compared to Cornell. I found the Cornell campus to be beautiful and inspiring.

OttoMets

Living Legend
As an alumnus (or alumnius if prefer the Kavanaugh spelling) of both Cornell and Syracuse, I have say Cornell's campus is like 20 times nicer than SU's campus. I remember spending a lot of time my first couple weeks of grad school exploring the SU campus and thinking, other than a few buildings, it was pretty lackluster compared to Cornell. I found the Cornell campus to be beautiful and inspiring.
I think Cornell's nice. All I hear about is those Brutalist buildings, though.

cuse10

All Conference
Since CIL is slacking this place has to be in there, Hamilton college:
View attachment 141636
This is what a campus should look like. I prefer the gothic and era defining architecture of the stuff that Newhouse III, Ernie Davis Hall and the Science building look like.

Hoo's That

Hall of Fame
Having Brutalist buildings should automatically disqualify you from any discussions of Most Beautiful {anything}.

Orange87

2nd String
Syracuse is fine but one of the prettiest in the country? Nah I don't think so.

You want to see a beautiful campus - go check out Indiana U. in Bloomington. That place is amazing.

OttoMets

Living Legend
Having Brutalist buildings should automatically disqualify you from any discussions of Most Beautiful {anything}.
Ooh, I think this is the wrong crowd to try to convince of that...

sutomcat

Former Iggy Winner. I used to be somebody special
I like SU's campus. Probably not worthy of a top 50 rating and I am not fond of almost any building built after say 1920, but it is really nice. The thing that makes it fairly unique is the utter lack of conformity in the buildings. If you like diverse architecture, Syracuse is the campus for you!

I have often wished we standardized on Onondaga Limestone for all the major buildings on campus. But I really like Bowne, Lyman, Crouse, Carnegie and even the H of L. There is something to be said for diversity.

OttoMets

Living Legend
I like SU's campus. Probably not worthy of a top 50 rating and I am not fond of almost any building built after say 1920, but it is really nice. The thing that makes it fairly unique is the utter lack of conformity in the buildings. If you like diverse architecture, Syracuse is the campus for you!

I have often wished we standardized on Onondaga Limestone for all the major buildings on campus. But I really like Bowne, Lyman, Crouse, Carnegie and even the H of L. There is something to be said for diversity.
That's a big part of why it's weird to see SU and Cornell and Bard on the list - "hodgepodge" campuses don't usually get this sort of praise.

I think the original campus plan not intended for uniform building materials (Onondaga Limestone) to be used, but for similar design elements as well. More or less a bunch of HL duplicates. But the Panic of 1877 led to the plan being scrapped.

I'm glad for that. What they ended up doing on the Old Row is obviously beautiful. And I like SU's diversity, even though many of its newer buildings are ugly. Even those may be celebrated at some point: I've heard that the Archbold demolition and the potential demolition of Grant Auditorium a few years down the line has created some sense of urgency in landmarking or otherwise protecting what many consider very nice examples of mid-century design (HBC, Hinds, White, Haven #2, etc.).

Orangello

All American
If you're putting Kenyon in there I would also add Denison and Ohio University.

moqui

hailing from parts unknown
us military academy at west point is among the prettiest i've ever been to

the air force academy, on the other hand, takes a stunning backdrop and just brutalizes it

TinyManInside

Desperation Burns.
Cornell's beauty isn't only about the buildings (some are amazing, some not so great) - it's as much about the general environment as anything.

Top Bottom