SU ranked as one of the most beautiful campuses in America... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

SU ranked as one of the most beautiful campuses in America...

Bard and Cornell? Don't hear those campuses called beautiful too often.

I’ve been to many of these and they are nice but they left off the prettiest one- Kenyon College. Puts most of these to shame.
One of my daughters went to Kenyon. Beautiful small college campus. Paul Newman went there.

He's a tool bag, was just trying to get a rise from 'cuse alum.

I give major kudos to The Traveler for posting this without forcing people to click 50 times to see the entire list. Nicely done and great photos, except for Syracuse. Not sure why they show us buried in snow and then have Cornell pictured during the summer. The pic of Dartmouth also not so good. Other than that, great pics.
Plus the plug saying it has brutal winters...no mention for Wisconsin, Colgate, Cornell, etc...

Not having West Point is a miss.

He's a tool bag, was just trying to get a rise from 'cuse alum.

I give major kudos to The Traveler for posting this without forcing people to click 50 times to see the entire list. Nicely done and great photos, except for Syracuse. Not sure why they show us buried in snow and then have Cornell pictured during the summer. The pic of Dartmouth also not so good. Other than that, great pics.

He was probably harassing Dan Stanczyk who was his long time producer at ESPN.

I don’t agree with everything he says, but he’s always thought well of JB.

One of my best friends went to RIT, which I believe was named the ugliest college campus in America at one point.
My husband went there and still hates brick because of it.

One of my best friends went to RIT, which I believe was named the ugliest college campus in America at one point.

I went there, and I can't disagree.

On the other hand, someone mentioned U of R as a beautiful campus, and I have to agree with that!

Since CIL is slacking this place has to be in there, Hamilton college:
image.jpeg

Bard and Cornell? Don't hear those campuses called beautiful too often.

As an alumnus (or alumnius if prefer the Kavanaugh spelling) of both Cornell and Syracuse, I have say Cornell's campus is like 20 times nicer than SU's campus. I remember spending a lot of time my first couple weeks of grad school exploring the SU campus and thinking, other than a few buildings, it was pretty lackluster compared to Cornell. I found the Cornell campus to be beautiful and inspiring.

As an alumnus (or alumnius if prefer the Kavanaugh spelling) of both Cornell and Syracuse, I have say Cornell's campus is like 20 times nicer than SU's campus. I remember spending a lot of time my first couple weeks of grad school exploring the SU campus and thinking, other than a few buildings, it was pretty lackluster compared to Cornell. I found the Cornell campus to be beautiful and inspiring.

I think Cornell's nice. All I hear about is those Brutalist buildings, though.

Since CIL is slacking this place has to be in there, Hamilton college:
View attachment 141636

This is what a campus should look like. I prefer the gothic and era defining architecture of the stuff that Newhouse III, Ernie Davis Hall and the Science building look like.

Having Brutalist buildings should automatically disqualify you from any discussions of Most Beautiful {anything}.

Syracuse is fine but one of the prettiest in the country? Nah I don't think so.

You want to see a beautiful campus - go check out Indiana U. in Bloomington. That place is amazing.

Having Brutalist buildings should automatically disqualify you from any discussions of Most Beautiful {anything}.

Ooh, I think this is the wrong crowd to try to convince of that...

Bird_Library,_Syracuse_University_2.JPG

menu_icon_1074.jpg

I like SU's campus. Probably not worthy of a top 50 rating and I am not fond of almost any building built after say 1920, but it is really nice. The thing that makes it fairly unique is the utter lack of conformity in the buildings. If you like diverse architecture, Syracuse is the campus for you!

I have often wished we standardized on Onondaga Limestone for all the major buildings on campus. But I really like Bowne, Lyman, Crouse, Carnegie and even the H of L. There is something to be said for diversity.

I like SU's campus. Probably not worthy of a top 50 rating and I am not fond of almost any building built after say 1920, but it is really nice. The thing that makes it fairly unique is the utter lack of conformity in the buildings. If you like diverse architecture, Syracuse is the campus for you!

I have often wished we standardized on Onondaga Limestone for all the major buildings on campus. But I really like Bowne, Lyman, Crouse, Carnegie and even the H of L. There is something to be said for diversity.

That's a big part of why it's weird to see SU and Cornell and Bard on the list - "hodgepodge" campuses don't usually get this sort of praise.

I think the original campus plan not intended for uniform building materials (Onondaga Limestone) to be used, but for similar design elements as well. More or less a bunch of HL duplicates. But the Panic of 1877 led to the plan being scrapped.

I'm glad for that. What they ended up doing on the Old Row is obviously beautiful. And I like SU's diversity, even though many of its newer buildings are ugly. Even those may be celebrated at some point: I've heard that the Archbold demolition and the potential demolition of Grant Auditorium a few years down the line has created some sense of urgency in landmarking or otherwise protecting what many consider very nice examples of mid-century design (HBC, Hinds, White, Haven #2, etc.).

If you're putting Kenyon in there I would also add Denison and Ohio University.

us military academy at west point is among the prettiest i've ever been to

the air force academy, on the other hand, takes a stunning backdrop and just brutalizes it

Cornell's beauty isn't only about the buildings (some are amazing, some not so great) - it's as much about the general environment as anything.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom