SU Targeting Robert Anae as New OC / Jason Beck as New QB Coach per Thamel and ESPN | Page 39 | Syracusefan.com

SU Targeting Robert Anae as New OC / Jason Beck as New QB Coach per Thamel and ESPN

That (1992-1993) was my freshman year, (*Edit - March of 1993 was the first time they cancelled class due to it being spring break and students couldn't get back - 43" in all, 36" in a 24 hour period) but if I recall, 1993-1994 was worse, just spread out more. Seems my memory is off, but it seemed to stay longer. Perhaps it was just colder that year.

Syracuse[edit]​

Max: 192.1 inches (1992-93)

Min: 50.6 inches (2011-12)

Average: 127.8 inches
I grew up about 30 min north of Syracuse in Oswego county. I always find it funny that the blizzard of '93 is so hyped (I understand that it was a much more far reaching storm). Locally it was not big deal for us. Our roads were plowed clean by the next morning. The only reason we had a school snow day was because the governor declared no unnecessary travel across the state. The year before we had a much bigger storm locally where we got somewhere between 60 and 70 inches in 24 hrs followed by a bit more the next day. No school day in the Mexico district that year. They sent us to school until 10am so we could get our state aid for the day.

Any idea or insight as to why such and such a reporter thought Anae was "hated?"

The positive should have far outweighed the negative since your offense was 3rd in the country. If it didn’t, then those posters are clowns.
It's like I said with needing the 2 threads, "genius" and "I can coach better". There were a lot of situations that our running back wasn't touched on a big gain run or our receiver was the only guy on one side of the end zone because their entire D had fallen for the fake. Then there were also times in which absolutely no one in the stands could explain why a particular play was called, like the tackle lateral at the end of the VPI game. Armstrong was going to be wearing a flak jacket because he took so much wear and tear during the season. Anae loves the Run-Pass Option (RPO) offense. With Tucker in the backfield, if the RPO is called, your QB may be more likely to hand it to him rather than pull it out and run himself.

Unfortunately, our fans have a power running game mindset. It's part of our history going back to the 40s and continuing with players like Tiki Barber, Thomas Jones, and Alvin Pearman. All I see with a power running game is George Welsh facing 7 in the box and refusing to pass to open things up. {sigh}

Last edited:
I grew up about 30 min north of Syracuse in Oswego county. I always find it funny that the blizzard of '93 is so hyped (I understand that it was a much more far reaching storm). Locally it was not big deal for us. Our roads were plowed clean by the next morning. The only reason we had a school snow day was because the governor declared no unnecessary travel across the state. The year before we had a much bigger storm locally where we got somewhere between 60 and 70 inches in 24 hrs followed by a bit more the next day. No school day in the Mexico district that year. They sent us to school until 10am so we could get our state aid for the day.

The blizzard of 66 was far worse than 93. 77 may have been too.

Yeah, my parents have great stories about the blizzard of '66. People using second story windows to get out of houses and things like that.

That’s what my father had to do. Doors and windows on the first floor were drifted over.

Yep. A good friend is a UVA beat reporter. Says Anae was pretty much hated by everyone. Players, admin, reporters, etc... That was before the sh** storm he stirred up leaving town.

Anae will probably coach TEs, as that was his role at UVA as well. He actually called Anae "a complete a@@ hole." Might be a bridge to Beck as OC, which is why we were able to get both.

He says Beck is a rising star and is incredibly well-liked by everyone. A great guy who will run a team one day. Called him a "QB guru."

Also says Hagans will stay at UVA and that him going to SU would be like GMac leaving SU for UVA. Hagans is a true blue UVA guy.

As an aside, he said people at UVA would like to get Chip West back on the new staff. Great in-state recruiter with solid DelMarVa connections. He's not sure how likely that is, but it's what he's hearing.

EDIT: According to this guy it's a "done deal" and has been for a few weeks. FWIW.

EDIT 2: Also said that if we like passing, Anae is our guy. Really doesn't run the ball much. It will be interesting to see how he feels about that with a guy like Sean Tucker on the team. Sounds like he is pretty innovative in the way he uses players, so we'll see.

You know who doesn’t hate Anae?

The Beck family.

And me. (so far).

Yeah, my parents have great stories about the blizzard of '66. People using second story windows to get out of houses and things like that.
I have a story like that from 93. It was the only way to get out of my grandparents house for a little while. If that wasn't common it must have been drift snow I guess.

She is retweeting all sorts of
That’s what my father had to do. Doors and windows on the first floor were drifted over.
Mine too. That blizzard was an order of magnitude worse than anything I have seen since. All4SU has some great stories about a blizzard in 1925 that sounds pretty bad as well.

1640568686786.jpeg

I have a story like that from 93. It was the only way to get out of my grandparents house for a little while. If that wasn't common it must have been drift snow I guess.

Blizzard of '77 seems to have had a greater impact on Western NY

I personally recall this one living on Long Island, where power was knocked out for several days.

All this said, a couple of coaches from Utah ought to be OK with some snow.

We had a car-port off the side of our parents house in ‘93. The snowmobiles were underneath it.

My brother and I sat there looking at what seemed like insurmountable snowbanks piled around the backside of the car port. We had made the decision, we were taking those snowmobiles off those banks and hitting the trails.

We pulled them over and hammered the throttle. Up the bank and off what felt like a 20 foot jump. Pooooffff.

Gone into about 6 feet of snow, lol, stopped right where we landed. My father was so pissed off, we spent what felt like hours and hours shoveling a path to get those sleds out.

Blizzard of '77 seems to have had a greater impact on Western NY

I personally recall this one living on Long Island, where power was knocked out for several days.

All this said, a couple of coaches from Utah ought to be OK with some snow.
Yeah I grew up on Long Island, we had 4 straight snow days in 1978, it was a total mess and totally fun for a 5th grader!

66 was snow and wind . I was 6 but had photos of our front door completely buried in Franklin Park East Syracuse. (Massive Drifting)

Just a couple days before the 66 blizzard we had a record low of about -25. The blizzard dumped almost 50 inches on the city of Syracuse, a lot more than that in parts of the county and over 100 inches in Oswego county. School was closed for a week.

The transformation from the Sunday after the Pitt game has been stunning. There should be no question now that University supports JW's vision for the football program, including being competitive in the ACC. The investments are being made across the board.

Now...Dino has to win
YeP well said

It was drift. I walked around my driveway after it had been snowing for a while that evening. There were parts of my driveway that were visible because the wind had moved the snow. I was unimpressed by it all. In Oswego county we had seen a bunch of storms that were just as bad or worse.

I will hate him with everything I have after his offenses set program passing records and puts multiple QBs in the NFL for us.

We're talking hatred of a 1,000 suns kind of stuff.
I responded, "Sterlin Gilbert seemed to be a nice guy and his offense sucked b@!!s, so I'll take the a-hole".

You know who doesn’t hate Anae?

The Beck family.

And me. (so far).
I asked him if Anae was hated, was there a reason he knew that Beck and Anae were kind of tied at the hip. I'll post when I receive a response.

Interesting how “orange is the new fast” has faded gently into the night… the man definitely had an offensive philosophy coming in, in fact it’s why he was hired. Having said that, oinf seems to have run it’s course so I’m cool with ditching it.
Defenses figured it out , anaes offense is full of motion and misdirection it’s fun and affective