SU Targeting Robert Anae as New OC / Jason Beck as New QB Coach per Thamel and ESPN | Page 47 | Syracusefan.com

SU Targeting Robert Anae as New OC / Jason Beck as New QB Coach per Thamel and ESPN

What a crock, Jury remains out on this. Anyone being fair without an agenda would want to wait to see how he does after a full year+ in the system, experience, some coaching up etc before concluding this.

The guy laid it all out on the line this past year, played hurt with no quit, so I saw enough heart as well as ability to give the kid more respect than you and many others do, I’d be more inclined to say he ceiling is 10 wins based on what’s been shown so far and with the above factors in mind.
I don' t ignore anyone but Boro has gotten to the point on Shrader, where he shouldn't be posting anymore on that topic.
He has become a broken record, and needs to stop. We know how he feels so quit posting on the subject.

I don' t ignore anyone but Boro has gotten to the point on Shrader, where he shouldn't be posting anymore on that topic.
He has become a broken record, and needs to stop. We know how he feels so quit posting on the subject.
I have a weird quirk for recalling the unfair takes on here and though I’m not 100% certain, I’m fairly sure he was one of the TD apologists taking that to the hilt vs. GS, so any of those guys negative Shrader takes has an agenda behind it and need be taken with a grain of salt.

After the 741st negative Shrader take I finally felt inclined to chime in, kid deserves more respect. Here’s hoping he takes it up a notch or two over the next year.

You guys know you can read all Syracuse.com articles by downloading google news app and following Syracuse.com. Even the exclusive ones come up
Downloaded the app and followed Syracuse.com. All it did was take me to the subscriber article. Anything else I need to do?

I have a weird quirk for recalling the unfair takes on here and though I’m not 100% certain, I’m fairly sure he was one of the TD apologists taking that to the hilt vs. GS, so any of those guys negative Shrader takes has an agenda behind it and need be taken with a grain of salt.

After the 741st negative Shrader take I finally felt inclined to chime in, kid deserves more respect. Here’s hoping he takes it up a notch or two over the next year.
Silly. You could have been pro-TD and then critical of GS without “having an agenda”

It’s an opinion. And opinions change. More “benefit of the doubt” and less “agenda! finger pointing” will help this place be better, IMO

Downloaded the app and followed Syracuse.com. All it did was take me to the subscriber article. Anything else I need to do?
On my iPhone, I just go to the Following tab (on the bottom of the screen), select syracuse.com from my listed Sources, click on Sports, scroll down to the article you want to read and select it. I stay away from the syracuse.com page's top options and just read the selected article. Works fine.

COVID, previously set schedule, travel plans, awaiting final contract signing, awaiting next powerball drawing etc, who knows?
I'm sorry to be the one Hoo has to break the bad news to you folks but that's the reason. I guess you didn't hear about the recent rule change by the NCAA that requires waiting 3 Powerball drawings before you can make an announcement like this unless you get a waiver. :)

Interesting read. A couple of nuggets in there that would lead one to believe they are well aware of Shrader and not unhappy with what he can be capable of producing.
I put a lot more weight into what Anae/Beck think about Shrader and his viability than some condescending dork on a message board. So we’ll see how things progress. It’s probably still in their best interest to see what portal QB’s are available and fit because competition/depth is always good and we still have some unknowns on our depth chart.

Good article by Nate Mink...

Awesome read. Full of interesting stuff.

From a game management perspective, I found this to be interesting:
"Beck managed all 2-minute and timeout situations. He’s the most calm under pressure,” Mendenhall said. “He gives the most specific and impactful feedback in game, which is really, really helpful to me as the head coach and also Robert.”

"Beck managed all 2-minute and timeout situations. He’s the most calm under pressure,” Mendenhall said. “He gives the most specific and impactful feedback in game, which is really, really helpful to me as the head coach and also Robert.”
Dino just needs to do the CEO thing, Give a couple of pew shaking sermons, and let these guys run the game planning and in game coaching side of the program and he will most likely keep his job.

My eyes lit up when I read that also. That’s the last piece of the puzzle. We’re ready to roll now.

So...do we think they are going to wait until next week to make the announcement or perhaps Dino wants to keep it quiet until after our 1st game to not give our opponent an advantage?
We don't want them to have any film on us. That'll really mess them up.

What a crock, Jury remains out on this. Anyone being fair without an agenda would want to wait to see how he does after a full year+ in the system, experience, some coaching up etc before concluding this.

The guy laid it all out on the line this past year, played hurt with no quit, he showed enough heart, grit and moxie as well as ability to give the kid more respect than you and many others do, I’d be more inclined to say his ceiling is 10 wins based on what’s been shown so far and with the above factors in mind to come.
Yeah. And two wins were stolen from the team last year. There may be better options in the portal, but the ceiling is higher than 7 with him.

Last edited:
Yeah. And two wins were stolen from the team last year. There may be better options in the portal, but the ceiling is higher than 7 with him.

I’m guessing by week 4 most people on here will be praising Shrader on here.

Kid played banged up big time after VT thanks to an OL just literally not even touching a VT

It’s funny that a lot of the same people gave TD a pass for last season because he was hurt with broken ribs but won’t give GS that same credit when he was playing with very similar injuries for the final few games

How do we know he played banged up? Yeah, he mentioned he got hit hard and was sore, but would be fine. There were no other indications that he had a prolonged injury after VT...or did I miss something?

How do we know he played banged up? Yeah, he mentioned he got hit hard and was sore, but would be fine. There were no other indications that he had a prolonged injury after VT...or did I miss something?

Well, the fact that Dino literally said when he walked up to him on the field after the hit that GS was struggling to breath and choking was the first indication.

The second indication was that he literally was a completely different player after that game, his throws were off, etc but because he’s an absolute warrior continued to play.

If you watched him between the plays he was generally walking and moving around tenderly, started to be slower getting up off of the field etc. all the stuff that they don’t show on TV.

Was shocked he was able to even finish a few of those games

People who never played or coached feel entitled to make judgements they're not qualified to make. It's the American way...

I tend to agree that the criticism of Garrett is over the top and unfair.

I think pretty much everyone agrees Eric Dungey is our gold standards for dual threat QBs and if Garrett, or anyone else really, was able to match what Eric did, we would think they are awesome.

Here is a comparison of how Eric and Garrett did their sophomore seasons.

NamePassesCompletedPctTDsInterceptionsYardsAvg Yards/CatchRushesYardsAvg Yards/CarryTDs
Eric Dungey
230​
355​
0.647887​
15​
7​
2679​
7.5465​
125​
293​
2.344​
6​
Garrett Shrader
123​
234​
0.525641​
9​
4​
1445​
6.1752​
173​
781​
4.5145​
14​

Eric threw the ball a lot more and completed a significantly higher percentage of his passes. Garrett has to do better here but I think a good OC and better OL and WR play can help him out a lot. There wasn't time for pass plays to develop

Their rushing totals include sacks but I didn't have sack numbers for either and couldn't account for this. I think the OL was bad for both QBs but worse for Garrett. I don't have the number of sacks and yards lost for each but I do have this:

In 2016, the OL gave up 16 sacks for 112 yards.
In 2021, the OL gave up 37 sacks for 237 yards.

There is some pretty strong evidence here that the pass protection in 2021 was a lot worse than in 2016.

All that said, Garrett ran the ball a lot more and got a lot more yardage and a lot more TDs than Eric did.

It should be noted that Garrett had Sean Tucker playing RB. Sean was a lot more successful than Strickland and Neal were at RB for Eric in 2016. Strickland only averaged 3.5 ypc. Neal was a lot better at 5.3 but between them, they only had 933 yards rushing.

A stronger rushing attack helped Garrett some as defenses had to key on Sean, particularly with his rushing number but it might have hurt his numbers, particularly his passing numbers, as Sean ran the ball a lot and this reduced the number of throws Garrett was able to make.

It should also be noted that the 2016 team had 4 solid WRs in Etta-Tawo, Philips, Ishmael and Estime. Probably our best grouping at WR in the Babers era.

Individual Receiving Statistics Syracuse 2016
#PlayerGPNOYDSAVGTDLongAVG/G
7Etta-Tawo, Amba1294148215.771481123.50
3Philips, Ervin12908229.1365868.50
8Ishmael, Steve114855911.6513950.82
1Estime, Brisly124851810.7938443.17

This might be the biggest single difference in the tool each QB had to work with.

Here are the top four receivers Garrett had in 2021:

Individual Receiving Statistics
#PlayerGPNOYDSAVGTDLongAVG/G
85Jackson, Courtney123738910.5132932.42
34Tucker, Sean122025512.7527221.25
82Alford, Damien121324919.1527320.75
14Queeley, Anthony121522214.8023018.50

So all 4 of Eric's top WRs had better numbers than the best WR Garrett had to work with.

I think we can all agree that Garrett did not have the same level of WRs to throw to in 2021.

My guess is that if Garrett had the OL and WRs Eric had, his passing numbers would be a lot closer to the numbers Eric put up in 2016. Quite sure he would have thrown the ball more, had more completions and a higher completion percentage.

I am not saying Garrett was as good as Eric as a sophomore. But I will say I think if the play calling, the WR play and the OL pass blocking all improve somewhat, along with his mechanics and his health, there is reason to think Garrett can put up some excellent numbers in 2022.

People who never played or coached feel entitled to make judgements they're not qualified to make. It's the American way...
Give me a break. I guess we aren’t allowed to have any thoughts or opinions on politics too since most of us have never been a politician.