SU Targeting Robert Anae as New OC / Jason Beck as New QB Coach per Thamel and ESPN | Page 49 | Syracusefan.com

SU Targeting Robert Anae as New OC / Jason Beck as New QB Coach per Thamel and ESPN

So, who wants to give odds that these guys get introduced to the Cuse public at halftime of the UVA basketball game Saturday night. It would be so perfect but I'll put the odds at zero percent because nobody up there thinks like me. Dino? Are you listening?

I do like the Shrader family.

Good people. Good family.

Fun fact, GS still owns his manual transmission 1998 Dodge Ram single cab.

He also has NO SOCIAL media.

Just a small town guy
Forget football I’m pretty confident that our quarterback could drink everything other ACC quarterback under the table

I have my thoughts on GS as an ACC qb from time to time but as a board I think we all agree he’s the kind of dude we love to ride with. Excited to see what he can do with a fresh staff.

Definitely took shots in the pocket. People tend not to recall some of those things that can influence the outcome of plays as well. I do recall GS getting absolutely pasted I think against Pitt trying to turn upfield on the sideline. He certainly made some smart slide decisions but he also took some hits outside the pocket.

Yep, and unlike some QBs I don't remember seeing GS turtle up in a collapsing pocket.

I'll caveat that by saying it's understandable for a QB who doesn't move as well as Shrader/Dungey, and takes a few big hits, to turtle up out of self preservation.

I don't fault any player who has taken a beating to say "no mas" in some of those situations.

Just pointing out guys like Shrader and Dungey seem to have that mental toughness (or reckless abandon?) to endure a lot of punishment and still try to perform.

Forget football I’m pretty confident that our quarterback could drink everything other ACC quarterback under the table

I have my thoughts on GS as an ACC qb from time to time but as a board I think we all agree he’s the kind of dude we love to ride with. Excited to see what he can do with a fresh staff.

Exactly.

I don’t think he’s the greatest qb out there and I don’t think he has a career in the NFL

But he’s a guy I love leading this team and I know I’m going to get 100% effort EVERY single play of every single game

So, who wants to give odds that these guys get introduced to the Cuse public at halftime of the UVA basketball game Saturday night. It would be so perfect but I'll put the odds at zero percent because nobody up there thinks like me. Dino? Are you listening?

Depends if SU announces the hires in Friday night's news dump or not.

The biggest difference between Dungey and Shrader to me is accuracy on the deep ball. Dungey's deep ball accuracy was very underrated. Until Shrader shows opponents he can make them pay with the deep ball, they will continue to play the receivers very tight and sit on the short passes.
The biggest difference is that Shrader never missed a game. You couldn’t say that about Dungey.

If it was done and dusted, surely they'd announce it??

They have to mine recruits in the portal.

Hopefully, it's just a timing of formalities thing, but the longer this goes unannounced, the more skeptical I get, LOL.
You announce it Christmas week and it gets lost.

They might also be "dotting i's and crossing t's" with HR. That department is probably on leave or working from home. It'll be announced next week IMHO.

Apologies for continuing the thread derailment but I wanted to add one thing on the Shrader vs. Dungey comparison.

Shrader seems to be much more durable given the opportunities opposing teams have had to put big hits on him.

And he ate his fair share of them this year (most obviously being the VT game winning TD toss).

As much as I want a more accurate QB behind Center, I'll take a tough SOB who doesn't miss time despite getting beaten up.

Granted, Eric suffered a few cheap shots that helped put him on the bench but he was also hurdling and intentionally trucking dudes.

Perhaps Shrader is slightly more mature when running to avoid taking big shots. To me this is an overlooked part of his game. Pretty sure the biggest hits Shrader took were in the pocket on pass attempts.
Shrader has a good sense for throwing a little wiggle into his runs so that he doesn't take hits full force.

richard levy

Everyone is talking GS here and if he was injured so figured I would drop the stats here…

Pre VT:

11/15 190yards 73%
6/15 77 yards 40%
13/23 150 yards 56%
15/27 160 yards 55%
17/37 191 yards 45%
16/34 236 yards 47%

Post VT

5/14 65 yards 35%
10/18 46 yards 55%
8/20 63 yards 40%
17/24 214 yards 70%

Certainly a drop off for a few weeks before the Pitt game….

Apologies for continuing the thread derailment but I wanted to add one thing on the Shrader vs. Dungey comparison.

Shrader seems to be much more durable given the opportunities opposing teams have had to put big hits on him.

And he ate his fair share of them this year (most obviously being the VT game winning TD toss).

As much as I want a more accurate QB behind Center, I'll take a tough SOB who doesn't miss time despite getting beaten up.

Granted, Eric suffered a few cheap shots that helped put him on the bench but he was also hurdling and intentionally trucking dudes.

Perhaps Shrader is slightly more mature when running to avoid taking big shots. To me this is an overlooked part of his game. Pretty sure the biggest hits Shrader took were in the pocket on pass attempts.

I thought this was headed in the “weather” direction.

Some are labeling Anae/Beck as a passing offense. I think they have an efficient pass game but its not based on airing it out. 2021 wasnt typical. It was a really productive pass unit and they rolled with that. They scaled back on Armstrong's running but he still had 9 rushing TD's. He ran for 600 in 2020. Perkins ran for 800 in 2019 and 900 the year before that.

When we have a dual threat guy at QB I feel so much more confident on those 3rd and medium plays. It gives you more options. You can run or throw high percentage passes. Converting and moving the chains is what kept us in most of our games this year.

if you believe that was his worst injury sure. people are promoting this injury narrative to justify how bad his passing is... but frankly everyone is speculating about his health. We all saw him take some big hits running the ball. Whether his first injury was from getting hit in the pocket doesn't matter when you take so many shots all game long every game.

If you're so hurt you can't make a routine pass then we need to go to another QB.

Perhaps this says more about what the coaching staff thinks of the backup QB’s.

This thread is like a psychiatrist... It's getting all of our issues out from one central conversation... I think we've hit on about 12 quarterbacks, 7 syracuse head coaches, multiple exes and dead dogs... Get it all out here. It's okay.

Help is on the way.

I do like the Shrader family.

Good people. Good family.

Fun fact, GS still owns his manual transmission 1998 Dodge Ram single cab.

He also has NO SOCIAL media.

Just a small town guy
'Just two good ol' boys,
Never meaning no harm
Beats all you never saw,
Been in trouble with the law
Since the day they were born'

Perhaps this says more about what the coaching staff thinks of the backup QB’s.

I'm sure it did, both young inexperienced guys...a true freshman and a redshirt freshman. But then again these are the coaches who kept trotting out sharod johnson.

Last edited:
How do we know he played banged up? Yeah, he mentioned he got hit hard and was sore, but would be fine. There were no other indications that he had a prolonged injury after VT...or did I miss something?
It is over on the pay side.

He had some issues he gutted through...the kid is a warrior.

If Pro Football isn't in his future...I hope he joins the military. Thought the same about Dungey...Elmore too.

richard levy

Everyone is talking GS here and if he was injured so figured I would drop the stats here…

Pre VT:

11/15 190yards 73%
6/15 77 yards 40%
13/23 150 yards 56%
15/27 160 yards 55%
17/37 191 yards 45%
16/34 236 yards 47%

Post VT

5/14 65 yards 35%
10/18 46 yards 55%
8/20 63 yards 40%
17/24 214 yards 70%

Certainly a drop off for a few weeks before the Pitt game….
Something was definitely off there. I think a lot of people lost confidence in Shrader because of the last 3 games. Defenses didnt have to defend the pass because of his limitations. The fact is he was showing limitations from the start. Teams were crowding the box to stop Tucker from game 1. So it doesnt make sense for his numbers to drop that much. He had to be hurt.

This thread is like a psychiatrist... It's getting all of our issues out from one central conversation... I think we've hit on about 12 quarterbacks, 7 syracuse head coaches, multiple exes and dead dogs... Get it all out here. It's okay.

Help is on the way.
Its called "kitchen sinking". SU has given some of us mental health issues for sure. lol

Some are labeling Anae/Beck as a passing offense. I think they have an efficient pass game but its not based on airing it out. 2021 wasnt typical. It was a really productive pass unit and they rolled with that. They scaled back on Armstrong's running but he still had 9 rushing TD's. He ran for 600 in 2020. Perkins ran for 800 in 2019 and 900 the year before that.

When we have a dual threat guy at QB I feel so much more confident on those 3rd and medium plays. It gives you more options. You can run or throw high percentage passes. Converting and moving the chains is what kept us in most of our games this year.
It's interesting, I also feel a lot more confident in 3rd and medium with a dual threat like Shrader, and it definitely felt like we did a better job converting those than we did under DeVito the last few seasons. Overall though, our 3rd down conversion numbers were still pretty rough. There's a lot to improve there.

You're dead on though that one of the things that Anae and Beck do really well is optimize the talent they have. Sure, there are things they like to do, but they're very good at adjusting to get the most out of the offensive unit they oversee. Even going back to their BYU days it was impressive seeing how they would plug new QBs in due to injury and tweak things to make the offense remain productive.

I think we'll still primarily be a running team next season, because, Tucker, duh.

But we're going to take a big step forward in the passing game because this is a combo that figures out how to put their offenses in position to succeed.

It's interesting, I also feel a lot more confident in 3rd and medium with a dual threat like Shrader, and it definitely felt like we did a better job converting those than we did under DeVito the last few seasons. Overall though, our 3rd down conversion numbers were still pretty rough. There's a lot to improve there.

You're dead on though that one of the things that Anae and Beck do really well is optimize the talent they have. Sure, there are things they like to do, but they're very good at adjusting to get the most out of the offensive unit they oversee. Even going back to their BYU days it was impressive seeing how they would plug new QBs in due to injury and tweak things to make the offense remain productive.

I think we'll still primarily be a running team next season, because, Tucker, duh.

But we're going to take a big step forward in the passing game because this is a combo that figures out how to put their offenses in position to succeed.
I think you are right on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom