SU Targeting Robert Anae as New OC / Jason Beck as New QB Coach per Thamel and ESPN | Page 50 | Syracusefan.com

SU Targeting Robert Anae as New OC / Jason Beck as New QB Coach per Thamel and ESPN

Lol I defended Tommy because he wasn't as bad as some on here said he was. But there's no "agenda" to be right about one QB or another.

Fact of the matter is I can recall multiple plays this year where Shrader bounced a ball to a receiver's feet. Multiple plays where he threw the ball a few feet in front or behind an open reciever. Multiple plays where a guy was open and a bad throw meant we couldn't get a first down. With the type of high powered passing offense we have coming in, we should want a guy that can be accurate and make throws to open recievers.

He is a serviceable quarterback because of his running ability. He's a good steward of our program and seems to be a likeable guy.

It's like putting regular fuel in a premium car. It works, but you're not going to get the performance you want.
Well your defense of him vs. GS was pretty stout and from the get go you’re wrong, TD was as bad as many on here said.

You blamed “the players around him that have cost us games”, most of the offensive players and “Dino and Gilbert” for his deficiencies and not TD himself for the loss(es) and his sub par performance(s), in this specific case against Rutgers not leading the team to victory.

Literally every single other player and coaches and not the guy in the one, the most important position on the field to make things happen. Something none of you Shrader critics can seem to do for GS.

And then you complained about them putting Shrader in as well as another excuse for him not performing well.

One does not have to call all of that an “agenda” but it certainly creates a perception of an obvious bias, perhaps an unconscious bias, but a bias nonetheless. A unfair nonsensical bias that is not based on the reality of whats transpired in front of our eyes.

Nobody is saying Shrader doesn’t have the serious deficiencies to this point you mentioned, nor that we should not recruit over him if we can and/or bring a guy in from the portal to compete, but to state 7 wins is the ceiling is another nonsensical statement when there was a play call here, A play called there, a few bad referees calls, A missed the kick or two, away from the seven wins.

No rather stating that as well as saying if “your happy with Shrader you’re aiming too low”, these are just more cheap shots attempting to undermine a good kid, albeit a more creative way of taking unfair shots at a kid who’s given 110% leaving it all out there on the field playing to the best of his ability to win, through injuries and all.

Agree to this point he is “serviceable“, needs to dramatically improve his throwing mechanics (which will hopefully happen now in the off-season getting coached up hopefully leading to better displays next fall), and if/when it all happens we can all enjoy it as it goes down.

The new guys coming in obviously are OK with what they see and think they can do well here with him, let’s hope they’re right.

Last edited:
Some UVA guys at Sabre think Anae doesn't know how to utilize the RB...we'll see. I usually take some of the posts with a grain of salt. However, the USF guys were spot on with Sterlin.

I think we'll find out Tucker >>>> UVA RBs

BTW, is there a more annoying board to read format wise than UVA's and VT's sportswar boards? #1995 called and wants their forum back

Last edited:
Something was definitely off there. I think a lot of people lost confidence in Shrader because of the last 3 games. Defenses didnt have to defend the pass because of his limitations. The fact is he was showing limitations from the start. Teams were crowding the box to stop Tucker from game 1. So it doesnt make sense for his numbers to drop that much. He had to be hurt.

Exactly.

If he wasn’t hurt (I’m about 99% sure he was) then I would be concerned about something going on with the coaching.

But then to come out with the Pitt game and do what he did? Roughy 4/5weeks after when the initial injury was thought to happen, implies to me that he started feeling fully healthy again.

Exactly.

If he wasn’t hurt (I’m about 99% sure he was) then I would be concerned about something going on with the coaching.

But then to come out with the Pitt game and do what he did? Roughy 4/5weeks after when the initial injury was thought to happen, implies to me that he started feeling fully healthy again.

His numbers didn't really drop that much.

From your post above these are his 3 games before VT. Are we really saying these are that much better than the 3 after VT?

15/27 160 yards 55% (FSU - L)
17/37 191 yards 45% (Wake - L)
16/34 236 yards 47% (Clemson - L)

After VT

5/14 65 yards 35% (BC - W)
10/18 46 yards 55% (LVille - L)
8/20 63 yards 40% (NC State - L)

In fairness some of these putrid numbers are on Gilbert.

I have to go back and look (I'm not going to) but I think in one of those games Courtney Jackson only had 1 or even zero targets. We all bitched about it.

I would love to see his stats by yard breakdowns; <10, 11-15, 16-20, 20+ etc.

You are also a "dork on a message board" so that's not quite the own you think it is.
The condescending part was the main point. We’re all message board dorks.

You’re the same person that one went off on me suggesting the staff bring in Andrew Ford as a JUCO transfer option to give us depth behind Dungey because our other depth chart options behind Dungey at the time were Mahoney PWO, Austin Wilson and Kentarus Womack, which I guess in your opinion were better options. Ford went on to be on the Davey O’Brien watch list his senior year, Wilson started 1 game at Coastal during which he got benched and Womack didn’t even play football after he transferred. Mahoney played well above being a PWO but was not a consistent backup or someone that would push Dungey.

So yeah, I’ll stick with my post.

Last edited:
The condescending part was the main points. We’re all message board dorks.

You’re the same person that one went off on me suggesting the staff bring in Andrew Ford as a JUCO transfer option to give us depth behind Dungey because our other depth chart options behind Dungey (Austin Wilson and Kentarus Womack) in your opinion were far better options. Ford went on to be in the Davey O’Brien watch list his senior year and Wilson started 1 game at Coastal during which he got benched and Womack didn’t even play football after he transferred.

So yeah, I’ll stick with my post.
Yep, no one likes a know-it-all, especially a condescending thin skinned one.

I'm sure it did, both young inexperienced guys...a true freshman and a redshirt freshman. But then again these are the coaches who kept trotting out sharod johnson.

I agree. I don’t know what it means that they wouldn’t let the backups get any meaningful playing time when a couple games were essentially over. Is it because GS wasn’t that hurt or they didn’t want to throw the backups to the wolves because they have no faith in them at this point.

I agree. I don’t know what it means that they wouldn’t let the backups get any meaningful playing time when a couple games were essentially over. Is it because GS wasn’t that hurt or they didn’t want to throw the backups to the wolves because they have no faith in them at this point.

(good point, how hurt could he be to keep him in at LVille down 38-3 and NC State down 38-10 to start the 4th quarters). I don't know why he does it but he has always done it...would be a great question for our esteemed press core to hammer on.

Last edited:
Yep, no one likes a know-it-all, especially a condescending thin skinned one.
Been that way for awhile.

He had some intel awhile back - not so much anymore. Yet the true colors continue to show.

Hope he enjoyed the Patriots game on Sunday. I sure did.

Is he 21 yet, and does he like craft beer?

Just saying, I see a future NIL opportunity
Let me know if he’s 21 and ready for his first high test ABV beer - we can make it happen.

Some UVA guys at Sabre think Anae doesn't know how to utilize the RB...we'll see. I usually take some of the posts with a grain of salt. However, the USF guys were spot on with Sterlin.

{snip}
I would take their comments with at least of grain of salt because if our offense isn't centered around a power running game a goodly number of our posters will hate it.

snip

BTW, is there a more annoying board to read format wise than UVA's and VT's sportswar boards? #1995 called and wants their forum back
ND's hard-core board NDNation is vying with them neck-and-neck.

FWIW

Ranking Shraders passing by game using PFF passing grades.

4AB01820-662F-4D53-889A-F45FA892470C.jpeg

I think we'll find out Tucker >>>> UVA RBs

Yea I tried Doing a little reading when this first all dropped and gave up within 30 seconds, between this site , nunesmagician and a couple of our fan podcasts id say we have it pretty good compared to other schools. Now can we just please get some positive results on the court and the field !!’

Exactly.

Yeah, Clemson was the best defense he faced. Pitt's defense wasnt too bad. 38th in the nation. Louisville 84th.

I tend to agree that the criticism of Garrett is over the top and unfair.

I think pretty much everyone agrees Eric Dungey is our gold standards for dual threat QBs and if Garrett, or anyone else really, was able to match what Eric did, we would think they are awesome.

Here is a comparison of how Eric and Garrett did their sophomore seasons.

NamePassesCompletedPctTDsInterceptionsYardsAvg Yards/CatchRushesYardsAvg Yards/CarryTDs
Eric Dungey
230​
355​
0.647887​
15​
7​
2679​
7.5465​
125​
293​
2.344​
6​
Garrett Shrader
123​
234​
0.525641​
9​
4​
1445​
6.1752​
173​
781​
4.5145​
14​

Eric threw the ball a lot more and completed a significantly higher percentage of his passes. Garrett has to do better here but I think a good OC and better OL and WR play can help him out a lot. There wasn't time for pass plays to develop

Their rushing totals include sacks but I didn't have sack numbers for either and couldn't account for this. I think the OL was bad for both QBs but worse for Garrett. I don't have the number of sacks and yards lost for each but I do have this:

In 2016, the OL gave up 16 sacks for 112 yards.
In 2021, the OL gave up 37 sacks for 237 yards.

There is some pretty strong evidence here that the pass protection in 2021 was a lot worse than in 2016.

All that said, Garrett ran the ball a lot more and got a lot more yardage and a lot more TDs than Eric did.

It should be noted that Garrett had Sean Tucker playing RB. Sean was a lot more successful than Strickland and Neal were at RB for Eric in 2016. Strickland only averaged 3.5 ypc. Neal was a lot better at 5.3 but between them, they only had 933 yards rushing.

A stronger rushing attack helped Garrett some as defenses had to key on Sean, particularly with his rushing number but it might have hurt his numbers, particularly his passing numbers, as Sean ran the ball a lot and this reduced the number of throws Garrett was able to make.

It should also be noted that the 2016 team had 4 solid WRs in Etta-Tawo, Philips, Ishmael and Estime. Probably our best grouping at WR in the Babers era.

Individual Receiving Statistics Syracuse 2016
#PlayerGPNOYDSAVGTDLongAVG/G
7Etta-Tawo, Amba1294148215.771481123.50
3Philips, Ervin12908229.1365868.50
8Ishmael, Steve114855911.6513950.82
1Estime, Brisly124851810.7938443.17

This might be the biggest single difference in the tool each QB had to work with.

Here are the top four receivers Garrett had in 2021:

Individual Receiving Statistics
#PlayerGPNOYDSAVGTDLongAVG/G
85Jackson, Courtney123738910.5132932.42
34Tucker, Sean122025512.7527221.25
82Alford, Damien121324919.1527320.75
14Queeley, Anthony121522214.8023018.50

So all 4 of Eric's top WRs had better numbers than the best WR Garrett had to work with.

I think we can all agree that Garrett did not have the same level of WRs to throw to in 2021.

My guess is that if Garrett had the OL and WRs Eric had, his passing numbers would be a lot closer to the numbers Eric put up in 2016. Quite sure he would have thrown the ball more, had more completions and a higher completion percentage.

I am not saying Garrett was as good as Eric as a sophomore. But I will say I think if the play calling, the WR play and the OL pass blocking all improve somewhat, along with his mechanics and his health, there is reason to think Garrett can put up some excellent numbers in 2022.
Really good post.

A couple of things… McNabb is our standard for dual threat QBs IMO. But Dungey was great.

And your data regarding the WRs is right on. The truth is probably that if Shrader had those four WRs that Dungey had, we wouldn’t even have this thread. SU would have won more than 5 games, gone to a bowl, and we wouldn’t be looking for a new OC. My opinion.

This thread is like a psychiatrist... It's getting all of our issues out from one central conversation... I think we've hit on about 12 quarterbacks, 7 syracuse head coaches, multiple exes and dead dogs... Get it all out here. It's okay.

Help is on the way.

I give this post two thumbs up.

This thread is like a psychiatrist... It's getting all of our issues out from one central conversation... I think we've hit on about 12 quarterbacks, 7 syracuse head coaches, multiple exes and dead dogs... Get it all out here. It's okay.

Help is on the way.
Yes but how does that make you feel?

Re: Shrader - I’ll never be able to go back and find the thread, but I know someone came on here and posted “with inside information” that he was hurt at the end of the VT game. I can’t recall who said it, and I’ve been puzzled as to why he/she hasn’t jumped back in again on the subject.

I defended TD staunchly in 2019. I felt, and still do, that the OL problems created an impossible situation for any QB who was not a run first.

My enthusiasm for TD lessened in 2020. OL problems continued, TD looked like a kid who was shell-shocked. And injuries he sustained just made it worse.

Coming into 2021, I was hopeful TD could resurrect his game, but not confident.

I think TD was just a bad fit for SU at this time. I still believe if you give him a great OL and some experienced, capable WRs he can pick teams apart. But he needs time to make decisions, and we just don’t have that luxury.

I love what GS offers. He may be a work in progress, but he makes quick decisions and is tough enough to move the chains if the throws aren’t there. No we just need to continue to shore up the OL, and get these WRs to grow up a little, or maybe bring in another one or two.

Side note: I honestly believe had Taj stuck it out we would have found another win or two this season. We needed him on the field. It’s a shame.

I defended TD staunchly in 2019. I felt, and still do, that the OL problems created an impossible situation for any QB who was not a run first.

My enthusiasm for TD lessened in 2020. OL problems continued, TD looked like a kid who was shell-shocked. And injuries he sustained just made it worse.

Coming into 2021, I was hopeful TD could resurrect his game, but not confident.

I think TD was just a bad fit for SU at this time. I still believe if you give him a great OL and some experienced, capable WRs he can pick teams apart. But he needs time to make decisions, and we just don’t have that luxury.

I love what GS offers. He may be a work in progress, but he makes quick decisions and is tough enough to move the chains if the throws aren’t there. No we just need to continue to shore up the OL, and get these WRs to grow up a little, or maybe bring in another one or two.

Side note: I honestly believe had Taj stuck it out we would have found another win or two this season. We needed him on the field. It’s a shame.
Great post yep. And re the VT injury yep the DL was unblocked, had a clear shot driving his helmet targeting to Shraders ribs. Not sure who I was more pissed at the OL man ole’ block or the non targeting call.

Regardless it didn’t take a dramatic leap of logic to figure that that was an injury producing hit, nor was it a big leap of logic to think his under performing in the follow up games might be/was related.