SU to Host Middle Tennessee State in 2017 | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

SU to Host Middle Tennessee State in 2017

But that's the thing...

If Dino turns the ship around like we hope he will, SU is not a guaranteed win for LSU in 2017. And Wisconsin is not a guaranteed loss for SU in 2020.

Looking at it as a Positive Pete, SU will be much, much better by 2020 and we can go into Camp Randall and expect to go toe to toe with the Badgers and possibly come out with a win, as opposed to merely hoping we can give them a game for two quarters before losing.

If you choose to be a Negative Nate, then we should never schedule a top shelf P5 team because the SU program will never get to an Alabama or Ohio State level.

While I don't think we'll ever be Bama or OSU, I think we can get back to being a regular visitor to the Top 25. I'm somewhere between a Positive Pete and a Cautiously Optimistic Carl.
We are all Salieri to your Mozart.

We are all Salieri to your Mozart.

320x240.jpg

Right and wins bring the casual fan back. None of us are in the casual category. Going 1-3 to start the season, but wearing the badge of honor that says we played hard teams does nothing for the casual fan.
How exactly does playing 1 interesting OOC opponent each season make SU 1-3? They shouldn't be scheduling 4 out of 5 OOC games against big 10 teams like they were doing at the end of the Big East days - but 1 game each season against an LSU or Wisconsin doesn't make you 1-3. If Dino can pick off one of those teams in the next couple years it'll add instant validation to his program in a way that 4 straight years with an extra win over Akron never would.

Our conference is big time, schedule lower level out of conference P5 teams.. I want us to be 4-0 heading into October and have there be a buzz about the program. If they start 1-3, I'll be at the remaining games, but Ron from my office won't be there.
Ron from your office will be out at his camp enjoying fall fishing and watching SU on his Amazon Fire Stick. Seriously, I'd rather watch an exciting loss to a quality team than watch a blowout of a much lesser opponent.

MTSU fans are saying a buy game...Cuse paying $950k.
Herm deserves major credit for this. We can afford to pay that with the ACC money and the fact we really needed a game with few possible solutions. I would rather pay CUSA teams 1 million a game than playing UConn home/home.

Ron from your office will be out at his camp enjoying fall fishing and watching SU on his Amazon Fire Stick. Seriously, I'd rather watch an exciting loss to a quality team than watch a blowout of a much lesser opponent.
toga was right

How exactly does playing 1 interesting OOC opponent each season make SU 1-3? They shouldn't be scheduling 4 out of 5 OOC games against big 10 teams like they were doing at the end of the Big East days - but 1 game each season against an LSU or Wisconsin doesn't make you 1-3. If Dino can pick off one of those teams in the next couple years it'll add instant validation to his program in a way that 4 straight years with an extra win over Akron never would.
we'll see. so far it has.

toga was right
So you're saying wins over RI, Colgate, Stony Brook, Maine, etc., will attract and bring back the "casual" fan? I think not. Entertainment will fill the empty seats, not scheduling "sure" wins. Casual fan doesn't want to see a rock fight or a blowout against a set up team.

So you're saying wins over RI, Colgate, Stony Brook, Maine, etc., will attract and bring back the "casual" fan? I think not. Entertainment will fill the empty seats, not scheduling "sure" wins. Casual fan doesn't want to see a rock fight or a blowout against a set up team.
when were 1-5, it's me and 5000 other people in the dome for the start of a game it's a bit depressing. You need to get a base of wins, build excitement, then gradually increase the degree of difficulty in your schedule.

Mr Peabody said:

If things go the way we hope offensively, it might. I can see the casual fan being very excited about coming to see a game against stony brook where SU has realistic expectations of scoring 70+ points with 600+ yards of offense. These games aren't going to be the 20-17 overtime rock fight victories against lesser opponents we've become accustomed to.

This is a topic that I'd be interested in the players parents on the board perspective (I didn't pay attention to names while reading the thread to see if any chimed in)...

Basically, the argument is will we get better recruits by playing big games at the possible detriment of our record or by ensuring easy wins and bowl eligibility each year?

To me, "better recruits" would mean a mix of high 3-4 star types instead of middling 3s or 2-stars that might get bumped up senior year (not relying on the star system, just using it for ease of description). Those kids are not likely to be lifelong SU fans and also will have offers from most of our peer schools and those above us. We need to get their attention somehow, then let our recruiters work their magic.

They aren't going to see SU vs Colgate, MTSU, etc., but might tune in to an SU-LSU game. An upset would obviously be awesome for us, but even if we just give them a run for a while it could pique their interest. And allow a recruiter to say "We could see you finishing that drive/making that play for us in the fourth quarter where the game turned...", "With you in the lineup we could've run more plays to exploit...", or whatever pitch they're selling. Now, we're engaged with a player early in the season.

Alternatively, we can be one of many schools piling up early season wins that no one sees and sending out letter bombs about how we cracked the "Others Receiving Votes" in the polls. Maybe they'll watch our big conference games and we can use the approach from the prior paragraph. Otherwise, we're relying on a middling bowl game in late December (after most recruits have their favorites in mind) to make our strongest sales pitch.

when were 1-5, it's me and 5000 other people in the dome for the start of a game it's a bit depressing. You need to get a base of wins, build excitement, then gradually increase the degree of difficulty in your schedule.
I think we're going that way with the MTSU game - not a "blowout" type of game on the schedule but a winnable game that should be entertaining. Combine that with an aerial attack and you may see me well into October / November - I'll be the guy in row Q standing right in front of you - ignoring you telling me to sit down.

I think we're going that way with the MTSU game - not a "blowout" type of game on the schedule but a winnable game that should be entertaining. Combine that with an aerial attack and you may see me well into October / November - I'll be the guy in row Q standing right in front of you - ignoring you telling me to sit down.
what happened to fall fishing?

cuseguy is correct...our first stage is to get bowl eligible. I have no issues with playing Wisconsin in a few years. One big OOC game a year is enough.

I agree and have said as much. But I stand by my point: playing 1 brand name OOC opponent each year does not relegate us to a sure 5 win season and no bowl.

Which conference were we in? What were our facilities like back then?

I get all that. But as I said, making middling bowls, in and of itself, does not guarantee better recruiting. Otherwise the 40-50 teams making middling bowl every year would be landing 4 stars left and right.

And playing 1 big OOC game each year is not preventing us making bowls. Playing 2 or 3 would. But we don't really do that.

I get all that. But as I said, making middling bowls, in and of itself, does not guarantee better recruiting. Otherwise the 40-50 teams making middling bowl every year would be landing 4 stars left and right.

And playing 1 big OOC game each year is not preventing us making bowls. Playing 2 or 3 would. But we don't really do that.

Amen! Why cant people get this!?

Middle Tennessee State is not a bad team. They are more than capable of beating a team like Syracuse.

Last season, they lost to Bama 37-10, Illinois 27-25 and Vanderbilt 17-13.

The year before, they lost to Minnesota 35-24 and BYU 27-7. In 2013, they lost to UNC 40-20 and BYU 37-10.

They have been to a bowl game at least 3 years in a row. We better come ready to play...

Casual Fans want to see the team win. That's why SU basketball in the months of November and December when they have home games vs nobody's still draw above average crowds! Casual fans are front-runners. They support winners. They want to go to a game to see their team win. They don't over-think it and worry about the "quality of the opponent."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom