SU to Host Middle Tennessee State in 2017 | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

SU to Host Middle Tennessee State in 2017

when were 1-5, it's me and 5000 other people in the dome for the start of a game it's a bit depressing. You need to get a base of wins, build excitement, then gradually increase the degree of difficulty in your schedule.

Bingo!! You couldn't have said it better!!

When your season is over and you have basically no shot at a bowl game by Columbus Day because you have over-scheduled early and put yourself behind the 8 ball and know you have sure fire loses vs FSU and Clemson on the horizon, the casual fans zone out and stop paying attention. As I keep saying, you don't get brownie points (with casual fans or recruits) for playing good teams tough and losing. That's not a winning sales pitch to land good recruits and bring casual fans back to the Dome to fill up the stands.

Eric15 said:
So you're saying that young recruits care more about the Belk Bowl than they do playing in showcase regular season games? Is that really true?

If they only cared about playing in marquee regular season games, then Wake Forest would be doing just fine.

Scooch said:
We made 3 middling bowls in 4 years and won 8, 8 and 7 games doing so. Where are the 4 star recruits?

You need to maintain it. You could sense some momentum when that started, then we went back to square one.

We need a few marquee wins and some bowl success again to kick start things.

It helps to play in a good conference with some showcase games. But it does you no good if you can't win some of those games.

This thread is crazy. We hired a coach who has driven defensive coordinators at power schools crazy. We should compete fine in the ONE power non conference game we play. And since when is Wisconsin as daunting as Alabama or Ohio State?

Dino's offense will bring the fans back, the big game atmosphere will bring the fans back. Bringing the fans back and having the big game atmosphere will help bring the best players back.

It's going to be a fun ride. Sit back and enjoy.

If Babers fails here, we've got much bigger problems than Camp Randall.

He won't.

You can't schedule like you are scared either. There needs to be balance for sure but you have to have one solid out of conference game. Give me a home and home verse ranked teams. As a player you have to think you can play ANYONE

Tell that to Bill Snyder, who OPA worships.

This thread is crazy. We hired a coach who has driven defensive coordinators at power schools crazy. We should compete fine in the ONE power non conference game we play. And since when is Wisconsin as daunting as Alabama or Ohio State?

Dino's offense will bring the fans back, the big game atmosphere will bring the fans back. Bringing the fans back and having the big game atmosphere will help bring the best players back.

It's going to be a fun ride. Sit back and enjoy.

If Babers fails here, we've got much bigger problems than Camp Randall.

He won't.
What power schools?

And since when is Wisconsin as daunting as Alabama or Ohio State?

They have been between 9 and 11 wins damn near every year for over a decade. They are a College Football power and many levels ahead of SU football and have been for over a decade+ and that won't change overnight. Wisconsin went to three straight Rose Bowl's earlier this decade. Just because they haven't won a national title doesn't mean they aren't a football powerhouse. They were 10-3 last year and went to the Holiday Bowl and it was a "down" year for them because they ended up ranked outside of the Top 15. I would sign up for "down years" like that every year.

Casual Fans want to see the team win. That's why SU basketball in the months of November and December when they have home games vs nobody's still draw above average crowds! Casual fans are front-runners. They support winners. They want to go to a game to see their team win. They don't over-think it and worry about the "quality of the opponent."

I think this supports the opposite point - big games are the only times we get above-average basketball crowds. I agree that casual fans are front-runners, and they're only coming in big numbers when we play a team with name recognition. We could win the national championship this year and still only draw 41,000 for Middle Tennessee...this market likes wins, but they only want to pay money and leave the house for serious opponents.

Not that bad, but not on Wisconsin's level by any means. And with FSU and Clemson not getting bad overnight already on our schedule it makes little sense to schedule another big-time football power like Wisconsin (and yes they are a national big time power, that isn't up for debate. For the last 12 years they have been between 8-11 wins per season.)

I understand that we play in a tough division and we need to rebuild, but I am in favor of one marquee OOC game every year. If you want to become relevant again nationally, you have to have at least one TV game against an out-of-conference team with a brand name. A game that matters, a game that can make memories if you win. We have always had one of those on the schedule every year, and they have made some amazing memories. We don't come back to being a top 25 team without one big OOC game every year, and eventually winning them, just like we used to.

Auburn was absolutely loaded that year:
Jason Campbell
Cadillac Williams
Ronnie Brown
Tim Carter

That's just off the top of my head on offense, I'm sure there was a handful of NFLers on D too.

Edit: On D they had:
Carlos Rogers
Karlos Dansby
Reggie Torbor

Crazy talented - wicked underachievement by Tommy Tubbs

They were, and the following year we had them beat at Auburn, and lost to them in ot, one of the most frustrating losses for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom