SU - Wisconsin Kick Off Classic questions | Syracusefan.com

SU - Wisconsin Kick Off Classic questions

Toga

Living Legend
I was there so I should know but what year was it and who returned the opening kick off?

That was a hot day. Bunch of frat bros went down to the game and a few passed out from booze/heat and never made it in. I went to a clam bake in Liverpool w a buddy and we ate steamers and badgers

Badger fans did turn out in force to witness their drubbing.

Badger fans did turn out in force to witness their drubbing.

I didn't think their section was all that big, but certainly bigger than the 75 people Georgia Tech brought to that same game in 2001.

I was there so I should know but what year was it and who returned the opening kick off?

I was there and as people have said, it was hot. I also remember being vastly outnumbered by Badger fans who were extremely cocky. Unprovoked comments like "its gonna be a long day for the Orangemen" and "who do they have that can stop Dayne?" as we walked through the parking lots. It was almost like the enthusiasm of the SNL Bears Fans.

Granted I like to engage in some good-natured ribbing, but it struck me as odd because A) We literally never made eye contact with some of these cheeseheads as they said this, B) they were only 4 or 5 years from finally breaking out of a miserable run of football that was barely better than Rutgers's run and C) their predictions were absolutely true if you switched uniforms. It was hilarious.

I was there too.
Probably rooting for the team with the big fancy W on their helmets...as opposed to that sad team with an all Orange helmet with a few stripes.

Of course back then, when you were 10, you were likely expecting to see another Super Bowl win, instead of what 2 playoff wins in 21 years??

Probably rooting for the team with the big fancy W on their helmets...as opposed to that sad team with an all Orange helmet with a few stripes.

Of course back then, when you were 10, you were likely expecting to see another Super Bowl win, instead of what 2 playoff wins in 21 years??
Nope I was all cuse that day.

I was there also. What a great day! Weather was fantastic, as was the tailgating. As we're headed up the aisle at half time we passed some Wisconsin fans. One of them yells at me "Boeheim", then grabs his neck making a choking sound. I laughed and said "Is that the best you got?". Didn't hear from them the rest of the game. Actually, I think they left in the 3rd.

I still have the Sports Illuatrated that has a full page picture of McIntosh stiff arming a badger better than ive ever seen it done. Guys head was almost decapitated.

I remember going to that game. All the hype was on Ron Dayne. SU took care of business. Beautiful day. I also remember my buddy going to use the ATM right at the stadium and the fee was something outrageous like $12 and this is back then when there was one fee and it usually a $1. I told him to forget it and loaned him cash.

Definitely there with my now wife, my little brother from my fraternity and his now wife. Remember talking to Jerry Mackey and D'Brickashaw Ferguson at the alumni pre-tailgate and Jerry telling me Brick was coming to the Cuse (oops). Other memory is friend's girlfriend going to the concessions stand before the kickoff to get us beers and missing the opening KIckoff TD.

I was there as well. It was actually shocking how we dominated them. They might as well have been Temple or Rutgers.

If not for the dickiness of their fans, I might have actually been embarrassed for them.

I remember watching this game at my grandfathers lake house as an 11 year-old. I don't remember anything really about the game but I remember this was a foundational game in building my fanhood!

I was there and as people have said, it was hot. I also remember being vastly outnumbered by Badger fans who were extremely cocky. Unprovoked comments like "its gonna be a long day for the Orangemen" and "who do they have that can stop Dayne?" as we walked through the parking lots. It was almost like the enthusiasm of the SNL Bears Fans.

Granted I like to engage in some good-natured ribbing, but it struck me as odd because A) We literally never made eye contact with some of these cheeseheads as they said this, B) they were only 4 or 5 years from finally breaking out of a miserable run of football that was barely better than Rutgers's run and C) their predictions were absolutely true if you switched uniforms. It was hilarious.
It was the standard Big Ten arrogance - if you can win in the Big Ten, you can be better than anybody, usually much better.

The Big Ten's glory era came only because of polls, of sportswriters and makers of newsreels. Big Ten teams rarely played anyone else worth half a flip, but the many sportswriters focused on the Big Ten carried the most weight in the profession by far. So BT teams kept getting voted #1 and Top 10, and kept winning Heismans and Outlands, etc.

Penn St entering the BT only furthered that view of BT vast superiority. Because PSU got absorbed by the BT and reduced to another nobody in the food chain that exists to prop up 'The Game' - Michigan-Ohio St, BT people kept assuming that the BT stood head and shoulders above everyone else.

I witnessed Dayne rush for less than 50 yards...for the 1st time in what felt like 1000s in his Giants Stadium career.

Still can’t figure out how I didn’t see that coming...

I didn't think their section was all that big, but certainly bigger than the 75 people Georgia Tech brought to that same game in 2001.

If SU wins that one perhaps they don't end up in the insult.com bowl. That was the game where George D. decided to have the o-line shift on every down.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom