SU-Wisconsin series cancelled | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

SU-Wisconsin series cancelled

NC State always has the talent they aren’t the same. They are just always stupid and blow games to inferior teams.

Duke is playing in the Chick-Fil-A game it’s a one off and will be a year they have 3 tomato cans.

BC is stupid and will struggle those years.

Syracuse needs to go bowling 3-4 years in a row before we need to be more aggressive in scheduling.

In 2019, Duke will play @ MTSU, home to NC A&T, home to ND and neutral to Alabama.

I’m fine with it. They have good NFL RBs and OL guys year after year. They would maul us and keep the offense off the field. For now we should use the Washington model of scheduling.

Except Washington in the Pac 12 plays 9 conference games. Plus non conference games against Auburn and BYU next year.

We aren’t talking the next couple years however. I’m good playing nobodies for a couple years. Should have tried to keep wisky unless it was 100% wisky that wanted out.

I believe the most likely sequence of events is that after agreeing to the Notre Dame series, Wisconsin asked had to clear either Syracuse, App State or Southern Illinois off the 2020 schedule. They approached us and proposed moving the games to later years. Assuming Army counts for the P5 OOC mandate we did not have an opening prior to 2026. Would not be surprised to see these games reappear sometime after that if the ACC stays at 8 games.

Besides the impact on our Ws and Ls (and bowl eligibility), games against teams like Wisconsin take a lot out of a team mentally and physically (especially when travel is involved). Even if we escape injury-free, getting beat up against a bigger, stronger, physical team like Wisky takes a toll. As an athlete, you can only get "up" for so many games each year, which helps explain some of the improbable upsets this season (SU/Clemson, Pitt/Miami, Iowa/OSU, etc.). I honesty think our stretch of close games against the difficult, middle part of our schedule (LSU, NCSt, Clemson, Miami, FlaSt) contributed to our late-season collapse (especially on defense).

Didn’t SU also sign a series with the Buckeyes a few years ago that was cancelled?

Long thread, but I just came across this while googling something.
This is the second 2020, 2021 series with a B1G team we have had to cancel.
Ped State was our opponent before Wisconsin.

Syracuse football will not continue series against Penn State in 2020, 2021
We have a familiar problem now. Given the late cancellation of the Wiscy series, there are few options available in P5 conferences to replace those games. Almost all are unattractive (like a home and home with Alabama). Hopefully the staff can find a reasonably beatable P5 school willing to play home and home those years.

We have a familiar problem now. Given the late cancellation of the Wiscy series, there are few options available in P5 conferences to replace those games. Almost all are unattractive (like a home and home with Alabama). Hopefully the staff can find a reasonably beatable P5 school willing to play home and home those years.
Pretty much down to Texas Tech and South Carolina for '20-'21. BYU is a maybe too but they are pretty loaded up with P5. Northwestern is also a partial answer for only '20. Finally Army might be solution if the ACC officially allows Army to count as a P5 substitute.

H/T. NunesMagician

How should Syracuse football replace Wisconsin for 2020 & 2021?

Welp, Oregon State’s off the board for 2021 now...

I wouldn’t mind a home and home with South Carolina.
Chip the only issue is SC has Clemson every year...so they have to be willing to add us. They have done it before (adding a 2nd P5)

Another solution is Northwestern and SC filling '20-'21. Schedule the second half in the mid/late 20s as appropriate. Unless Army or BYU come into the picture IMHO the NW/SC combo in 20-21 with follow on games a few years later seems likely. Just gets messy with more schools.

Army will be allowed and will become the solution. Just a guess but why wouldn't the ACC include Army.

Army will be allowed and will become the solution. Just a guess but why wouldn't the ACC include Army.

Good luck with that.

Army already has 13 games scheduled for 2020.

Sad day for SU football.

Not for me. I'm sick of overscheduling and banging our heads against the wall. Cupcake city. When the year is over and you finish 9-4 nobody will care who you played.

Northwestern makes the most sense for all involved.

SU gets Northwestern in '20 & '21
Northwestern gets a P5 in '20 and can push back Duke till '25 which fills their P5 through '27
Duke loses Northwestern in '21 and replaces them with a cupcake since they already have KU, although they will now have Northwestern and Illinois in '25

rutgers could work in both years as i believe bigten has a no fcs schedule as they have @ ucla and @ temple in 20 and 21

the bigger scheduling problem is we are looking at 50-50 on having a 9/15 bye week next year

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom