SU-Wisconsin series cancelled | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

SU-Wisconsin series cancelled

Duke just scheduled Alabama for 2019. NC State has South Carolina and West Virginia coming up next couple years. BC has upcoming series signed with Ohio State, Michigan State and Stanford. And all three schools have their usual rotating games with Notre Dame.
NC State always has the talent they aren’t the same. They are just always stupid and blow games to inferior teams.

Duke is playing in the Chick-Fil-A game it’s a one off and will be a year they have 3 tomato cans.

BC is stupid and will struggle those years.

Syracuse needs to go bowling 3-4 years in a row before we need to be more aggressive in scheduling.

Syracuse needs to go bowling 3-4 years in a row before we need to be more aggressive in scheduling.

We went to a bowl in 2010. Just missed it in 2011 due to insane injuries going 5-7. And then won bowl games in 2012 and 2013. Then right after that we scheduled the home-and-home with LSU. What did we do wrong there?

And you're saying getting massacred by Bama is OK as long as it's once but not twice?

If Rutgers doesn’t want to play a home and home call them up and offer the KaiserUEO special say to MetLife we will play NY-NJ Classic like all these preseason bowls at JerryWorld, Houston, Atlanta, Orlando.
A game at MetLife where each side would have half would work.
Neither Syracuse or Rutgers loses a home game.

Also screw TNIAAM I wish none of their trash was linked. After the crap they pulled last year with the board legend screw that site. Since Keeley left it’s wannabe Barstool crap.
I don't even know what the Fab Melo stuff was but I still agree. It was good in the beginning but it got horrible even before he left. It started as self deprecating and turned into self hating. That Cassullo or whatever his name is has nothing but horrible takes on everything.

We went to a bowl in 2010. Just missed it in 2011 due to insane injuries going 5-7. And then won bowl games in 2012 and 2013. Then right after that we scheduled the home-and-home with LSU. What did we do wrong there?

And you're saying getting massacred by Bama is OK as long as it's once but not twice?
That was with Big East athletes.
Our recruiting under Dino hopefully will continue with more P5 quality athletes.
Syracuse doesn’t have the talent depth.
Playing these tough nonconference games increases drain on our talent.

Playing these tough nonconference games increases drain on our talent.

Is there any data to back that up? We lost Terrel Hunt vs. Rhode Island, Dungey vs. Central Michigan just off the top of my head.

Wildhack says Army counts.

How the Syracuse football schedule gets made: Q&A with John Wildhack, Herm Frazier

"One nonconference game must be against a Power-Five opponent or select independent, such as Notre Dame, BYU or Army. Syracuse has met its Power-Five mandate through the 2026 season."

I'll trust John more than that other blog site I was referencing, but a quick search and I can't find any corroboration on line. Found BYU but not Army or Navy. Also saw an article from a year ago reminding me that the ACC Network mandate is either 8 conference games + 2 P5 or 9 + 1 by full launch of the network. Seem to remember that ESPN vbacked off on that mandate though, right?

At any rate, with the SEC as the only other P5 conference staying at an 8 game schedule for the foreseeable future the challenge to schedule OOC will be significant.

That's not untrue. But that's not the question being asked. The question is "are we ready to compete in big time nationally televised regular season matchups in addition to the 2-3 we play in conference"?

We've tried to schedule up. Recruits and casual fans didn't care enough to move the needle.

NC State, Duke, Wake Forest, BC - all of adjusted to being in the ACC Atlantic by scheduling down OOC. They are playing in "nationally televised post season matchups" - 3 of which are against: Iowa, Arizona State, Texas A&M

We aren’t talking the next couple years however. I’m good playing nobodies for a couple years. Should have tried to keep wisky unless it was 100% wisky that wanted out.

I'll trust John more than that other blog site I was referencing, but a quick search and I can't find any corroboration on line. Found BYU but not Army or Navy. Also saw an article from a year ago reminding me that the ACC Network mandate is either 8 conference games + 2 P5 or 9 + 1 by full launch of the network. Seem to remember that ESPN vbacked off on that mandate though, right?

At any rate, with the SEC as the only other P5 conference staying at an 8 game schedule for the foreseeable future the challenge to schedule OOC will be significant.

Navy can't count because they're in a conference.

Army and BYU are still indies.

Sorry if this has been discussed already, but I'd imagine that the syracuse administration is smart enough that if we were the ones to make this decision we would already have our ducks in a row as far as future scheduling.

If this was Wisconsin's choice, so they owe SU any money for backing out of the games?

Is there any data to back that up? We lost Terrel Hunt vs. Rhode Island, Dungey vs. Central Michigan just off the top of my head.

Lost Dungey for the season against UL, Clemson and FSU.

Sorry if this has been discussed already, but I'd imagine that the syracuse administration is smart enough that if we were the ones to make this decision we would already have our ducks in a row as far as future scheduling.

If this was Wisconsin's choice, so they owe SU any money for backing out of the games?

it was worded as mutual so im assuming no money is changing hands

From the link in the OP:

Wildhack: “We have great respect for the Wisconsin program, Coach (Barry) Alvarez and Coach (Paul) Chryst. After conversations with Coach Alvarez, and between our administrative staffs, we made the collective decision to cancel the series."

From the link in the OP:

Wildhack: “We have great respect for the Wisconsin program, Coach (Barry) Alvarez and Coach (Paul) Chryst. After conversations with Coach Alvarez, and between our administrative staffs, we made the collective decision to cancel the series."
Could be something was set up involving something else?

This site is all jazzed about scheduling an easy win, but we all know that SU canned Wisconsin to schedule Alabama and the New England Patriots - both away.

But I guess we should be happy that the 2001 Miami Hurricanes were busy...

i really dont get the concern over playing Wisc.. they will be no better than they are now.. just a solid team with very little upside.. i expected that if we were what we hope to be by 2020 it would be a very winnable game.

Very true, some on here want to play 4 cupcakes and guarantee 4-0 in the OOC. well we had reasonable OOC set up this past year and crapped the bed with the must win MTSU. A team we had sig more talent than.

Playing Wisconsin, a couple mid-majors and an FCS would have been a completely reasonable non-conference slate in 3 years. Providing us with a showcase non-conference game to get excited about.

I don't get it, if we're excited about our future with Dino, why are we afraid of challenging ourselves in Year 5 of his tenure?

Amen, and that was out OOC recipe this year. A national game with LSU, 2 Winnable G5 games, and CCST. perfect. Thats the perfect template. What's everyone scared of if Dino, is indeed, the guy?

Wisconsin is exactly the kind of team that gives us fits. Solid all around D, big offensive line, power running game and the can burn you with play action if you try and cheat to the run. No thanks. Great move to ditch this series

Does anyone know who initiated talks to bad the series?

Hearing it was indeed Wisconsin who initiated this. Between the Notre Dame series and the Big Ten moving to 9 games they didn’t need us anymore.

Whisky might have initiated this bc we aren't trending upward and with the CFB playoff results yesterday, they may realize, playing in the b10 west that they need to impress in the OOC.

Hearing it was indeed Wisconsin who initiated this. Between the Notre Dame series and the Big Ten moving to 9 games they didn’t need us anymore.

Wisky and ND recently announced a series in the same years. I'd say 99.95% that Wisky came to SU.

Thanks TM. Just saw that posted. TY. So, my theory is we were dropped for a team that will rate better as an OOC opponent. We might have been dropped bc we are trending as not a great OOC win in the future as a consideration for big bowls and NCs.

NC State always has the talent they aren’t the same. They are just always stupid and blow games to inferior teams.

Duke is playing in the Chick-Fil-A game it’s a one off and will be a year they have 3 tomato cans.

BC is stupid and will struggle those years.

Bama played @ Duke like 5 years ago and i remember were adding seats to their stadium. I agree about BC, but geeez, I was very impressed with them this year with a backup qb. That Oline and running game and D will allow them to compete with most.

Duke just scheduled Alabama for 2019. NC State has South Carolina and West Virginia coming up next couple years. BC has upcoming series signed with Ohio State, Michigan State and Stanford. And all three schools have their usual rotating games with Notre Dame.

NC State should be IMO. Duke’s been killing the recruiting trail the last bunch of years (after feasting on cupcakes) - probably won’t help much vs Alabama, but still. I don’t know what BC is thinking.

I’m factoring in our games with ND as conference games.

People are underrating the hill we have to climb talent wise. It’s getting there, but I’m fine with slumming it for a few years. Then we ramp it back up a bit.

We hired the wrong HC?

Whisky might have initiated this bc we aren't trending upward and with the CFB playoff results yesterday, they may realize, playing in the b10 west that they need to impress in the OOC.

ND does carry more weight. But I’d bet they are not wanting to play us either. A win and it’s “just Syracuse” a loss to a dangerous coaching staff/hard to prepare for system, etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom