SU-Wisconsin series cancelled | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

SU-Wisconsin series cancelled

Must be that Alabama is afraid to schedule tough out of conference games too because they do once every 10 years or so.

They’re Alabama. If we start drawing 100K to our spring game then do whatever. Drawing 18K to the done for umass is fine now and then. If that’s our entire ooc sked every year, that’s pathetic and lame.

I’d say, let’s get there first?

When we actually pass a couple of those teams and start going to bowls and maybe making some top 25 appearances ourselves, then maybe we can add a Wisconsin to our already top notch schedule.

Let’s give ourselves a chance to stop crawling and start walking around for a bit first before we try to run. We aren’t Clemson.
I guess. OOC series are scheduled so far in advance. We're crawling now, we better be walking by 2020. It's not as if people are talking about scheduling 4 tough OOC games. Having 3 cream puffs and 1 lower half top 25 team seems appropriate for where we expect to be by then. The team we expect to have by 2020 would be bowling this year, wouldn't it?

i really dont get the concern over playing Wisc.. they will be no better than they are now.. just a solid team with very little upside.. i expected that if we were what we hope to be by 2020 it would be a very winnable game.

Yeah, exactly, this is pathetic. (And mine is a totally gratuitous post - nobody's changing any minds on this board on this topic.)

If SU isn't good enough to compete with Wisconsin in three years, what's the point?

It's just a stupid game that's supposed to be entertaining. Gaming the system by scheduling s----- no-name teams and hoping to white-knuckle to a 6-6 record and get the participation trophy of some December 23rd bowl game in Detroit isn't what college football is about.

The on-field product Syracuse's University is responsible for has been almost totally miserable for nearly 20 years now. Why does anyone bother to watch the games? Two reasons, for me. Because people from this board throw a fun tailgate, and because I get to see LSUs and Wisconsins in the Dome every couple of years. Without that, I don't know what the appeal is.

Last edited:
Wisconsin, Notre Dame set for series at Lambeau Field, Soldier Field

If you're Wisconsin, do you want to play two games in two sold-out NFL stadiums, or do you want to play in front of 30,000 in Syracuse?

But you know that that's not the question (not for Syracuse fans, at least).

My question is: do you want to see some no-name directional school at noon in front of 30,000 (let's be serious, closer to 20,000) in Syracuse, or do you want to see a traditional power and their visiting fans at a decent time of the day in front of 40,000+?

The answer for apparently 75% of the posters on here -- many otherwise reasonable people -- is the former. Because that makes some theoretical bowl game (that many of us would never want to attend) somewhat more likely. Well, unless the team brings their game from Middle Tennessee State.

UMASS is the ticket. Play the away game in Fenway.
Lol. UMass/Maine pulled a measly 12,000 to Fenway, for 2 local teams,and I wouldn't be surprised if folks just wanted to see what it looked like with a football field in it. They couldn't pull 10,000 at Gillette. If you wanna play in front of a large high school crowd? Nah.

Give us the mountaineers

The hottest fire makes the strongest steal.

steel.png

I believe that FIU has openings both years. Two trips to Fla in one year is not a bad thing.
Particularly since Tallahassee is about 4-8 hrs from the Florida recruits. FIU would be a nice trip.

Doesn't SU still have to schedule a P5 team?

Doesn't SU still have to schedule a P5 team?
Yes...schedule Ruttie and be done with it

Edit update: Ruttie has UCLA in 20 and 21 grrrr

Last edited:
Was not aware that the ACC does not consider Army as a P5 team for this requirement. Someone has a LOT of work to do on future schedules. Other than one game against Maryland and the ACC matchups with Notre Dame we have nothing, right? And with the Big 10 at 9 conference games finding a suitable opponent is going to become increasingly difficult.

My question is: do you want to see some no-name directional school at noon in front of 30,000 (let's be serious, closer to 20,000) in Syracuse, or do you want to see a traditional power and their visiting fans at a decent time of the day in front of 40,000+?

The answer for apparently 75% of the posters on here -- many otherwise reasonable people -- is the former. Because that makes some theoretical bowl game (that many of us would never want to attend) somewhat more likely. Well, unless the team brings their game from Middle Tennessee State.
Give me the no name school. I want the better odds to see a win. I have seen SU lose enough at home the past 10-15 years.

If the SEC allows Army...makes no sense the ACC wouldn't.

SU might want to call Greensboro and get a clarification/ or exception.

This is an important point. People here are infatuated with the idea that somehow third tier bowl games will attract recruits. Big time nationally televised regular season matchups get much more attention around the country than random bowl games.

That's not untrue. But that's not the question being asked. The question is "are we ready to compete in big time nationally televised regular season matchups in addition to the 2-3 we play in conference"?

We've tried to schedule up. Recruits and casual fans didn't care enough to move the needle.

NC State, Duke, Wake Forest, BC - all of adjusted to being in the ACC Atlantic by scheduling down OOC. They are playing in "nationally televised post season matchups" - 3 of which are against: Iowa, Arizona State, Texas A&M

We have been trying to climb out of the hole as a program for years now. Until we are out of the hole, I want us doing the things that make it as easy as possible. It’s an investment which can start to pay off once we are firmly back, and we can choose to play a tougher schedule if we want to.

Take away the MTSU debacle and add a cupcake this past year. Limp to 6-6 at the wire. Play in a bowl game. There is something for today’s HS juniors to notice. As it is, we miss a bowl for another year, when every other warm body goes.

At some point you have to start playing the PR game. “We played LSU tough” doesn’t matter when you have also to say, “... and stayed home for the holidays.”

I think that's an impossible objective. I mean Tennessee, Florida, FSU, Michigan, Penn State, Texas, Auburn, Nebraska and so many other historical powers have had losing seasons recently. Nobody is guaranteed anything.

We have had three winning seasons in the past 16 seasons. The idea that we will get to a point where 6 wins are "guaranteed" just isn't realistic.

How about "more likely to have a winning season" vs "most likely to have a losing season"...

The argument seems to be "losing to big time teams is more fun than having winning seasons" ... I think it sucks.

I also think perception is everything in college football. Being called a "bowl team" helps more than "kept it close with LSU once"...

(The whole bowl system is dumb anyways - we are 2 games out but could beat about 1/4 of the lower FBS teams in a bowl. We did beat the #1 "seed" ... )

Was not aware that the ACC does not consider Army as a P5 team for this requirement. Someone has a LOT of work to do on future schedules. Other than one game against Maryland and the ACC matchups with Notre Dame we have nothing, right? And with the Big 10 at 9 conference games finding a suitable opponent is going to become increasingly difficult.

Wildhack says Army counts.

How the Syracuse football schedule gets made: Q&A with John Wildhack, Herm Frazier

"One nonconference game must be against a Power-Five opponent or select independent, such as Notre Dame, BYU or Army. Syracuse has met its Power-Five mandate through the 2026 season."

Following up with John C.'s article

If the ACC allows it: Army or BYU in '20-21

If not:
We could play Northwestern H/H in '20 and '25
And Oregon St H/H in 21' and '24

Arkansas in '23-24 (if we want)

I'd rank it in order of preference

Army
BYU
Northwestern/Oregon State

If Rutgers doesn’t want to play a home and home call them up and offer the KaiserUEO special say to MetLife we will play NY-NJ Classic like all these preseason bowls at JerryWorld, Houston, Atlanta, Orlando.
A game at MetLife where each side would have half would work.
Neither Syracuse or Rutgers loses a home game.

Also screw TNIAAM I wish none of their trash was linked. After the crap they pulled last year with the board legend screw that site. Since Keeley left it’s wannabe Barstool crap.

NC State, Duke, Wake Forest, BC - all of adjusted to being in the ACC Atlantic by scheduling down OOC.

Duke just scheduled Alabama for 2019. NC State has South Carolina and West Virginia coming up next couple years. BC has upcoming series signed with Ohio State, Michigan State and Stanford. And all three schools have their usual rotating games with Notre Dame.

All I will say it had to deal with Fab Melo.
Since then I haven’t read TNIAAM or given them traffic.

Ahhh, yes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom