SUA: Indoor Practice Facility in Design Phase | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

SUA: Indoor Practice Facility in Design Phase

i like this shape better then the ice box look. So is this just one of different samples and then the decide which they like best? also, will the locker room and weigh room still be in manley? if not the players are going to have to walk thru the IPF to get to the outdoor fields

According to the DO ... weight room will remain at Manley, meeting rooms will move to the IPF.

I assume the locker room will also remain at Manley, since it's brand new.

http://dailyorange.com/2013/07/syracuse-athletics-releases-first-renderings-of-new-practice-facility

Another rendering:

imageuploadedbytapatalk1373414317-991569-jpg.4143
Check out the terracing...gotta be a hardnosed way to run stairs.

New SU Football Facility Includes 44 Plaza with Jim Brown, Ernie Davis & Floyd Little statues

Video

Neat video. The guy said "4 new facilities", but only named 2 - the IPF and Stevenson Center (or something like that). Anyone have any idea what the other two additions will be?

Also, from the DO article, I like this:

Phil Dordai, a principal at Cannon Designs, which is taking on the project, said in May that the facility is being designed for football, but with accommodations for soccer and lacrosse. He explicitly mentioned accounting for lacrosse balls that move at 90 mph.

I am curious to see the renderings of the interior of the IPF. I can't tell if the height would be sufficient to permit punting/kickoff practice, although I can't believe that they would make this investment without taking that into account. The roof structure is interesting but I'm not sure if it's funtion is to bring light into the facility or if it has any other purpose.

Overall, I like the design as I see it as a big improvement over the previous cube IPF which looked like a glorified aircraft hangar with zero character.

Maybe this is a stupid question, but with an elite architectural school, why pay an outside company to do the design? Couldn't some grad students design it under the supervision of their professors? It could've been a competition. Is there a legal requirement of having to use licensed architects? WVU has a very cool elevated monorail system on their campus that was designed by engineering students. It seems like SU could've done the same thing.

79 feet is really low. definitely cant punt or kick in there. Uconn's IPF is 106 feet high
Ray Guy would have blasted holes in a 79 foot high ceiling structure. Come on do it right SU!

Neat video. The guy said "4 new facilities", but only named 2 - the IPF and Stevenson Center (or something like that). Anyone have any idea what the other two additions will be?
One of them may be 44 Plaza. The video was edited. There was a jump after the Stevenson Educational Center discussion. The other one or two items were not shown. I also found no mention of them on the InterWebs this morning.

79 feet is really low. definitely cant punt or kick in there. Uconn's IPF is 106 feet high
The previous ("Ice Box") design had the roof only 65 feet above the playing surface, which is similar to GA Tech's facility. 79 is a lot better than 65.

One of them may be 44 Plaza. The video was edited. There was a jump after the Stevenson Educational Center discussion. The other one or two items were not shown. I also found no mention of them on the InterWebs this morning.

The new outdoor track facility, which is apparently going to be built up at Skytop, is surely one of them...

Looks great--time to break some ground!

So, will Manley be repurposed? I don't think you'd need the indoor field there with the IPF.

I'd much rather they do busts instead of statues. It'd be cheaper, meaning you could do more people. And there's something less...enh...having living people as busts instead of statues.

Maybe this is a stupid question, but with an elite architectural school, why pay an outside company to do the design? Couldn't some grad students design it under the supervision of their professors? It could've been a competition. Is there a legal requirement of having to use licensed architects? WVU has a very cool elevated monorail system on their campus that was designed by engineering students. It seems like SU could've done the same thing.
When you are spending this kind of money you hire a professional firm or risk looking really stupid when there are problems. who do you sue when the ceiling leaks or the football players have to wear sunglasses to keep out the glare from some weird detail the student put in? Grad students are generally pretty full of confidence and pretty light on 'having a clue'. The art and architecture worlds are closely related, my experience is more on the art side - but you go and see a show of work by recent MFA's and you can just smell the naivety. it takes 10 years or so before you have any idea who is any good. there is a degree of technical proficiency right out of school but that's about it.

That said I like the idea of having an alumni competition to design the building. Just as long as there is an experience requirement to have your proposal considered.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom