SUA: Indoor Practice Facility in Design Phase | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

SUA: Indoor Practice Facility in Design Phase

Good points about Marrone and recruiting and Manley has benefited other teams, but now every team is going to want to go to the IPF because it will be a full field. Do you know what happens to the field inside the track- can that be moved? It's only 3-4 years old now right?

SU doesn't have a throws program anymore- no coaches and maybe 1-2 athletes each year since the coach left. I agree about the community- but not sure how building a track is different from the practice fields. It might be an issue that my peeps haven't shared with me. Have to wonder if there would be issues with using Lower Hookway (other than rec services)?

It would be nice if SU had a place for faculty/staff/students to run. Locking a track anywhere makes me laugh- why would we want to keep people from having the ability to exercise?

Good points (I've wondered about the track infield myself - it's so new - but I'm pretty sure they'll have to scrap it).

I just don't get the locked track thing. Liability is probably a concern (though that hasn't prevented faculty and staff from conducting noontime runs at Manley for decades, nor has it led SU to close the Dome concourse for Main Campus staff to walk during the lunch hour). It's also worth noting that Jake and Andy Roberts (the former track coach) were stodgy and uncooperative - very different from Dr. Gross and Chris Fox. Maybe this will change with the new facility.

I wonder if they could build a track on Hendricks Field? Might not be long enough for 400 meters. It'd be a great amenity, though.

For Lower Hookway, I imagine rec services and the rugby folks couldn't fight the AD if it came to that. But the county is likely to nix any building plans down there because of the drainage problem. Same deal with the upper fields. Couple that with resistance from UNPA, SEUNA, and probably the city and I think SU's exhausted its build-out of Hookway. Can't say I have a problem with it - that land was transferred from the county to SU under the condition that it stay wild; allowing the construction of fences and lights a decade ago violated the spirit of the deal.

Good info on Hookway- hadn't thought about all of the drainage issues, etc. Hendricks Field could probably hold something less than 400 meters, but still suitable for the SU community to use.

To get back on topic, I'm with you in hoping that the IPF is built with an eye towards the future and not just to save money now.

The track would never be built on Hookway. Fences and lights are one thing; building a facility over there is out of the question. It's a shame that the school isn't building a new track right away, but the location - though not ideal - makes sense. SU doesn't want to lose Manley surface parking and the teams want the track and the existing throwing facility to be consolidated. And the university isn't interested in a community benefit - this track is going to be for athletics use only (this was an early complaint about the Vielbig facility in the mid-'90s: even faculty and staff were finding themselves locked out when the track wasn't in use; they gave it the name "Alcatrack").
According to this, the track will be open to the public. http://www.syracuse.com/orangefootball/index.ssf/2013/07/community_questions_and_concer.html

Plenty of room on the Moon for a track facility, potential 50,000+ seat stadium, and parking.

Fixed.

MoonBase-ESA.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom