SUA: Indoor Practice Facility in Design Phase | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

SUA: Indoor Practice Facility in Design Phase

So, will Manley be repurposed? I don't think you'd need the indoor field there with the IPF.
The non-football sports say "hello".
Softball, lax and others will continue to use Manley.

While the IPF can accommodate both lax and soccer, there should be no doubt about which program is the major "tenant" of the facility.

When you are spending this kind of money you hire a professional firm or risk looking really stupid when there are problems. who do you sue when the ceiling leaks or the football players have to wear sunglasses to keep out the glare from some weird detail the student put in? Grad students are generally pretty full of confidence and pretty light on 'having a clue'. The art and architecture worlds are closely related, my experience is more on the art side - but you go and see a show of work by recent MFA's and you can just smell the naivety. it takes 10 years or so before you have any idea who is any good. there is a degree of technical proficiency right out of school but that's about it.

That said I like the idea of having an alumni competition to design the building. Just as long as there is an experience requirement to have your proposal considered.

Do you need 10 years of experience to design something that looks like electric clippers? :D

When you are spending this kind of money you hire a professional firm or risk looking really stupid when there are problems. who do you sue when the ceiling leaks or the football players have to wear sunglasses to keep out the glare from some weird detail the student put in? Grad students are generally pretty full of confidence and pretty light on 'having a clue'. The art and architecture worlds are closely related, my experience is more on the art side - but you go and see a show of work by recent MFA's and you can just smell the naivety. it takes 10 years or so before you have any idea who is any good. there is a degree of technical proficiency right out of school but that's about it.

That said I like the idea of having an alumni competition to design the building. Just as long as there is an experience requirement to have your proposal considered.
Forget about glare, structural integrity, life safety, etc. is kind of a big deal.

Well that and the whole professional license requirement.

Do you need 10 years of experience to design something that looks like electric clippers? :D
You'd be amazed how many simple box structure buildings are bad because they cheaped out on the architect. Temple university for example has been on a building boom recently - they have levered up financially and are trying to reclaim north philly from 'the hood'. And while the stuff looks decent from the outside and what they are doing is a really good idea and good for the community - inside they deal with huge leak issues, poor use of space, bad elevator design etc. funnily the newest of these is the architecture building.

The non-football sports say "hello".
Softball, lax and others will continue to use Manley.

While the IPF can accommodate both lax and soccer, there should be no doubt about which program is the major "tenant" of the facility.

That makes sense--I was actually thinking about another non-revenue sport [track] that used to make extensive use of Manley before the conversion.

But keeping the retro-fitted Manley facility with the turf makes sense for lax, soccer, softball, etc.

Ok people, I've gone back and done a redesign.

MoonBaseSHX02.jpg9149736C-E081-227F-DAACA1142234A550.jpgLarger.jpg

The previous ("Ice Box") design had the roof only 65 feet above the playing surface, which is similar to GA Tech's facility. 79 is a lot better than 65.
FSU has the same 65 foot restriction. No true punting practice.

The new outdoor track facility, which is apparently going to be built up at Skytop, is surely one of them...

Yes, and I think the fourth involves renovation of the hockey rink.

I'm all about alumni involvement, but if the new law building is any indication, it's probably best to take bids from any and all firms. Ugliest new SU building in over thirty years.

they forgot to mention the new baseball stadium and hockey rink.

That makes sense--I was actually thinking about another non-revenue sport [track] that used to make extensive use of Manley before the conversion.

But keeping the retro-fitted Manley facility with the turf makes sense for lax, soccer, softball, etc.

Would be nice to consider track. Now that they've gotten the boot from the athletics complex altogether, the on-again off-again proposal of covering the outdoor track just got a bit less likely (their new location at the top of Skytop is awfully windy).

With a recent national champion and a ton of Big East success, no program has improved more under Gross than the running sports. It'd be nice if they had facilities to match. Or any facilities at all.

Forget about glare, structural integrity, life safety, etc. is kind of a big deal.

Well that and the whole professional license requirement.
I didn't know about licensure requirements. Safety and quality issues I figured would be addressed with code standards and professor supervision, but that's why I asked. Thanks for the input.

Yes, and I think the fourth involves renovation of the hockey rink.

That would be nice. Tennity is a decent facility, but it would be great if it could be expanded to have bleachers on both sides of the ice. It would be REALLY cool if they could connect the softball stadium bleachers to Tennity so the two facilities could share restrooms, concession facilities, locker rooms, press facilities, PA equipment, scoreboard equipment, a concourse to walk children, stretch legs, etc.

Kind of like BC did with Conte (basketball and hockey) where it is directly connected with their football stadium. Except on a much smaller scale...

Put a couple of private boxes in there too. OE and I will pony up big bucks to buy the first one.

Would be nice to consider track. Now that they've gotten the boot from the athletics complex altogether, the on-again off-again proposal of covering the outdoor track just got a bit less likely (their new location at the top of Skytop is awfully windy).

With a recent national champion and a ton of Big East success, no program has improved more under Gross than the running sports. It'd be nice if they had facilities to match. Or any facilities at all.
Do they still have the indoor track at the dome? Was that eliminated with the new fieldturf?

So true. Those that remember the Manley indoor track facilities back in the day know that they were once state of the art. Manley hosted the Big East Indoor Track and Field Championships many times, it hosted the HS sectional championships forever and it was extremely heavily used by runners during the fall, winter and spring. This includes athletes, students, faculty and even townies. Syracuse desperately needs a good indoor T&F facility, not just to remain competitive in this sport, but for the benefit of the entire community.

That would be nice. Tennity is a decent facility, but it would be great if it could be expanded to have bleachers on both sides of the ice. It would be REALLY cool if they could connect the softball stadium bleachers to Tennity so the two facilities could share restrooms, concession facilities, locker rooms, press facilities, PA equipment, scoreboard equipment, a concourse to walk children, stretch legs, etc.

Kind of like BC did with Conte (basketball and hockey) where it is directly connected with their football stadium. Except on a much smaller scale...

Put a couple of private boxes in there too. OE and I will pony up big bucks to buy the first one.

I'm in the dark as far as the scope of work, but that'd be awesome.

Do they still have the indoor track at the dome? Was that eliminated with the new fieldturf?

Yeah, they lost the track (one-time home of many Big East indoor championships) in that renovation. Lost the Manley track during that renovation, so they've had no indoor 200-meter track for three years (and counting). And football's got priority, so they'll be without any track at all later this year.

Somebody's going to need to make friends with the AD at Nottingham, because that's the only track within a three-mile run from campus.

So true. Those that remember the Manley indoor track facilities back in the day know that they were once state of the art. Manley hosted the Big East Indoor Track and Field Championships many times, it hosted the HS sectional championships forever and it was extremely heavily used by runners during the fall, winter and spring. This includes athletes, students, faculty and even townies. Syracuse desperately needs a good indoor T&F facility, not just to remain competitive in this sport, but for the benefit of the entire community.
I believe a track club use to train there too. Where do the highschools have their indoor meets now?

Yeah; OCC's new arena took a bit of the burden, but it's not conveniently located for many. Manley has a great history; thousands upon thousands of locals benefitted from it. City and suburban districts relied on it. The Syracuse Chargers held monthly open meets attended by runners from all over the Northeast for 30-odd years. And it was home to SU's very mediocre track program.

Chris Fox is very patient; he's got a good program, but it's a homeless one.

I believe a track club use to train there too. Where do the highschools have their indoor meets now?

All over. Some at OCC. Practice-wise, there's a lot more running in school hallways going on now than there was five years ago.

You can use the restrooms in Tennity if you're watching the Softball games, I used to let people in all the time. Just have to walk up the hill

All over. Some at OCC. Practice-wise, there's a lot more running in school hallways going on now than there was five years ago.
When I was in school, we didn't have an indoor team but we'd practice the first 2-4 weeks of the outdoor season in the halls. I did a lot of single leg hops up a lot of stairs in highschool. My school (Mexico) now has an indoor track that, I believe, is open to the community when it's not being used the track team.

When I was in school, we didn't have an indoor team but we'd practice the first 2-4 weeks of the outdoor season in the halls. I did a lot of single leg hops up a lot of stairs in highschool. My school (Mexico) now has an indoor track that, I believe, is open to the community when it's not being used the track team.

We had to do that for baseball. Wasn't bad, exactly, but tough on the knees. Those floors aren't very forgiving.

You can use the restrooms in Tennity if you're watching the Softball games, I used to let people in all the time. Just have to walk up the hill

Agreed, but it isn't convenient and it would be nice when you have two facilities right next to each other that share a lot of basic requirements, that you connect them to get more value for the money invested.

It would also make it easier to park for softball and hockey events, both of which have limited parking available, if the facilities were physically connected.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom