Subs, Hoagies, Grinders | Syracusefan.com

Subs, Hoagies, Grinders

Not Syracuse but Mello’s on Genesee in Utica makes a banger of a sub

Syracuse and CNY have some great places.

Really good article at Syracuse.com

How many have you gone too? Thoughts?
Dibellas wasn’t mentioned, which is an awful oversight.

I would put Dibellas #1 with Brooklyn Pickle a close second. I would also put a Wegmans sub a little ahead of a sub from Lucky 7 or some of the other lesser known places he listed.

He must not care about the quality of the roll very much.

I'm going to try Vince's in North Syracuse. It sounded pretty good.

I also have DiBella's on my list to go to.

The roll is an individual preference. Some like a hard crust and others like a soft crust.

Dibellas wasn’t mentioned, which is an awful oversight.

I would put Dibellas #1 with Brooklyn Pickle a close second. I would also put a Wegmans sub a little ahead of a sub from Lucky 7 or some of the other lesser known places he listed.

He must not care about the quality of the roll very much.
Yeah not sure how you have a list like that and not have Dibellas on it. Heard a rumor Wegmans "learned" their whole subs/grinders operation from Dibella as well.

I'm going to try Vince's in North Syracuse. It sounded pretty good.

I also have DiBella's on my list to go to.

The roll is an individual preference. Some like a hard crust and others like a soft crust.
I was surprised DiBella's wasn't on the list as they make a good sub but it's a chain and the people that work there generally are not passionate like the people in the article. Plus some of those places sound like true destinations. I'm bookmarking that article for future visits.

I was surprised DiBella's wasn't on the list as they make a good sub but it's a chain and the people that work there generally are not passionate like the people in the article. Plus some of those places sound like true destinations. I'm bookmarking that article for future visits.
Brooklyn Pickle is a chain too. I think it is fair to say Matt took care of his friends. He did a good job pointing out a couple of fairly obscure places. All of the places he listed make good subs.

I think Dibellas is a big competitor of Brooklyn Pickle and he didn't want to help out his friend's rival.

Dibellas has to be included in any list of the best subs in CNY. This is just a fact.

Cheeseburger Sub. Oswego Sub Shop.

It was literally once featured in a banner at the top of the Post Standard front page with the caption "mmmmmmmmmm"

Not Syracuse but Mello’s on Genesee in Utica makes a banger of a sub
I can tell you that back as far as the 70s, when Mello’s was downtown almost to Lafayette street - by the “busy corner” - they made the best subs around. I would get off work bartending and head over to Mello’s or Capri pizza. Those places are still the standard in my mind. Glad to hear Mello’s is still serving them up. I may have to make a trip back.

Last edited:
Yeah not sure how you have a list like that and not have Dibellas on it. Heard a rumor Wegmans "learned" their whole subs/grinders operation from Dibella as well.
Not a rumor, 100% true.

Wegmans originally contracted with Dibella's to set up sub shops in their stores. When the deal was up Wegs basically "private label'd" Dibellas keeping all of the practices (bread baking, menu offerings) with subtle tweaks. Slimy AF; but I'm not a Wegs fanatic.

It was literally once featured in a banner at the top of the Post Standard front page with the caption "mmmmmmmmmm"
With the Geneseo love, I figured someone would mention Oswego Subs...another legendary place.

If in the Pulaski area there is a small place called, Mr. Sub. Really good subs with the owner on site.

It is takeout only but their is a park across the street and a covered gazebo next to the Salmon River across the street from Healthway Manufacturing where you can eat at.

It is located next to the old Theater

1. DiBellas
2. Brooklyn Pickle

3. Everybody else

Have a buddy that still talks about that specific sub 15 years later.

Have a buddy that still talks about that specific sub 15 years later.
Was he drunk or high at the time?

Some of the best food I ever ate was at 2:30am in Oswego

Darwin on Clinton needs to be on any Sandwich list. All the ingredients are fresh and their menu is updated daily.