Summer 2015 Transfer Market | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Summer 2015 Transfer Market

Tim Howard was atrocious on the 2nd goal scored by Watford. I think Everton outplayed them but a better GK makes that saves. Not sure what is up with Howard but he needs to up his game or he will be dropped.

Everton defending was bad though when Watford had the ball. I wonder if Stones will not be sold to Chelsea now.

I heard that Everton is lining up Stones' replacement.

What's there reluctance with Lukaku, it seems every time I watch him he's a beast but it seems he never can play a full 90 mins.

Think the best description of Lukaku's style of play was "he reminds me of a kitten chasing a ball of yarn". In other words he's all over the place and never can be quite sure where he's going.

Well, West Ham has just been gifted an 80,000 seat stadium. They are going to be much more competitive in a few years. As other EPL teams invest in their stadiums and their ability to raise more money, they too will be able to compete with the top teams, IMO.

True but they won't fill It and their tickets certainly won't sell at the price of the bigger 3 London clubs anytime soon. Also, CL money is a big divide from that start. I'm sure something will happen over the next decade to cycle one of the big teams out but not sure what. Even if Abramovic sells (not that he would) Chelsea still aren't leveraging debt and will still boss transfer windows until they run out of good players to sell on for way too much.

True but they won't fill It and their tickets certainly won't sell at the price of the bigger 3 London clubs anytime soon. Also, CL money is a big divide from that start. I'm sure something will happen over the next decade to cycle one of the big teams out but not sure what. Even if Abramovic sells (not that he would) Chelsea still aren't leveraging debt and will still boss transfer windows until they run out of good players to sell on for way too much.
That stadium should have been given to Tottenham. They wanted the 2o12 Olympic stadium but for some reason they gave it to West Ham. Now Tottenham is spending big bucks renovating White Hart Lane.

West Ham needs a really wealthy owner like Man City got and maybe then they could move up the pecking order. I think they will be a mid table team at best now. I think they almost got relegated recently if I am remember.

That stadium should have been given to Tottenham. They wanted the 2o12 Olympic stadium but for some reason they gave it to West Ham. Now Tottenham is spending big bucks renovating White Hart Lane.

West Ham needs a really wealthy owner like Man City got and maybe then they could move up the pecking order. I think they will be a mid table team at best now. I think they almost got relegated recently if I am remember.

Similar to many discussions we've had re: SU, new stadiums are nice but they do not directly result in a team improving. In England it may actual have the adverse effect of pushing many fans who are on the edge about existing ticket prices overboard with the slightest increase.

E
Similar to many discussions we've had re: SU, new stadiums are nice but they do not directly result in a team improving. In England it may actual have the adverse effect of pushing many fans who are on the edge about existing ticket prices overboard with the slightest increase.
EPL are discussing limiting the price amounts for tickets. Some teams are making away tickets ridiculously high for some clubs.
The FA wants to put a 20 pound limit on away tickets.
Just like American teams these new stadiums are being littered with luxury boxes to sell to corporations. When you look at the new Yankee Stadium and most new stadiums they have overpriced their lower seats and have caused them to become empty. With the TV money the EPL clubs are making they shouldn't be squeezing it out of ticket sales as people will stay home.

E

EPL are discussing limiting the price amounts for tickets. Some teams are making away tickets ridiculously high for some clubs.
The FA wants to put a 20 pound limit on away tickets.
Just like American teams these new stadiums are being littered with luxury boxes to sell to corporations. When you look at the new Yankee Stadium and most new stadiums they have overpriced their lower seats and have caused them to become empty. With the TV money the EPL clubs are making they shouldn't be squeezing it out of ticket sales as people will stay home.

Liverpool froze ticket prices a couple years ago I believe and reduced youth ticket prices for this season. Precarious position to be in since we are building an expansion but also luxury boxes. You can't push those luxury boxes and not increase ticket availability for the local faithful. Think I read that there hasn't been an LFC ticket returned to the club for the past decade. Fans instead sign them over to friends or family so if you're not already connected there hasn't even been a chance to get seasons.

Sunderland, Aston Villa, and ??? to go down for me (haven't seen any of the promoted sides).

I was very disappointed watching Southampton Saturday. Not the defense they've been the last few years and it seems their offense now consists of just crossing in to Pelle's head anytime the ball gets near the box.

Man City put a beatdown on Chelesa and Mourinho looks really unhinged early on this EPL season. I couldn't believe he subbed Terry at halftime. This early in the year it couldn't be fitness or fatigue.

Souththampton has become the Pelle show and if the Italian is marked they become easy to defend. I was shocked Everton went to St. Mary's and beat them 3-0.

Stoke stole a point at White Hart Lane after being 2-0 at halftime.

EPL is just wide open anyone can compete with anyone . Tomorrow Liverpool at Anfield should be interesting.

Man City put a beatdown on Chelesa and Mourinho looks really unhinged early on this EPL season. I couldn't believe he subbed Terry at halftime. This early in the year it couldn't be fitness or fatigue.

Souththampton has become the Pelle show and if the Italian is marked they become easy to defend. I was shocked Everton went to St. Mary's and beat them 3-0.

EPL is just wide open anyone can compete with anyone . Tomorrow Liverpool at Anfield should be interesting.
I caught a part of the CP / Arsenal game yesterday. While Arsenal definitely deserved the 3 pst I was shocked at how competitive Crystal Palace was. With teams like Stoke and Crystal Palace signing talent and actually playing to win games, this might be the most open EPL season yet.

WRT... Liverpool I'm still deathly afraid that Rogers has selected Lovren and Skertl as the long term answer. The reason those two looked so good last week vs last season are because Clyne and Gomez stay home a lot more and are much much better defenders than Johnson, Moreno, Can and whomever else tried to play FB for Liverpool last year. I think last week also showed Milner might be the signing of the summer... he and Henderson dd a great job of protecting Lovren and Skertl. Protection that Gerrard was not able to provide when he started last year. I think Lovren and Skertl are the same galoots that played there last year and Liverpool really need to upgrade those two if they are going to challenge for the top spot.

My main concern with this year's liverpool team is where will the goals come from. Clyne and Gomez are great at D but are going to provide the same threats going forward as of yet. Milner and Henderson are great cogs who will protect the back four and keep the ball moving but they aren't going to create a ton of goals. Last weeks game proved all of the fears that I think every Liverpool fan has regarding Benteke... I don't think the team knows what to do with him. Hopefully Firmino will get a start today but Ibe was pretty good last week so I'm not sure Firmino will be THAT much of an improvement. I'd probably swap Lallana for Firmino and see how that goes but I suspect Rogers will swap Ibe for Firmino.

I caught a part of the CP / Arsenal game yesterday. While Arsenal definitely deserved the 3 pst I was shocked at how competitive Crystal Palace was. With teams like Stoke and Crystal Palace signing talent and actually playing to win games, this might be the most open EPL season yet.

WRT... Liverpool I'm still deathly afraid that Rogers has selected Lovren and Skertl as the long term answer. The reason those two looked so good last week vs last season are because Clyne and Gomez stay home a lot more and are much much better defenders than Johnson, Moreno, Can and whomever else tried to play FB for Liverpool last year. I think last week also showed Milner might be the signing of the summer... he and Henderson dd a great job of protecting Lovren and Skertl. Protection that Gerrard was not able to provide when he started last year. I think Lovren and Skertl are the same galoots that played there last year and Liverpool really need to upgrade those two if they are going to challenge for the top spot.

My main concern with this year's liverpool team is where will the goals come from. Clyne and Gomez are great at D but are going to provide the same threats going forward as of yet. Milner and Henderson are great cogs who will protect the back four and keep the ball moving but they aren't going to create a ton of goals. Last weeks game proved all of the fears that I think every Liverpool fan has regarding Benteke... I don't think the team knows what to do with him. Hopefully Firmino will get a start today but Ibe was pretty good last week so I'm not sure Firmino will be THAT much of an improvement. I'd probably swap Lallana for Firmino and see how that goes but I suspect Rogers will swap Ibe for Firmino.

The options will be replace Lallana in the 4-2-3-1, 4-4-2 midfield diamond with Can behind Milner and Hendo and Coutinho sitting behind Firmino and Benteke, or 4-3-3 with the same midfield 3 and Coutinho - Benteke - Firmino as the front 3. Interesting times but at least it's not due to lack of options like last season. Shape and selection will get really tricky if/when Sturridge comes back healthy. At that point it becomes really difficult to get Can and Firmino both in any starting 11.

The options will be replace Lallana in the 4-2-3-1, 4-4-2 midfield diamond with Can behind Milner and Hendo and Coutinho sitting behind Firmino and Benteke, or 4-3-3 with the same midfield 3 and Coutinho - Benteke - Firmino as the front 3. Interesting times but at least it's not due to lack of options like last season. Shape and selection will get really tricky if/when Sturridge comes back healthy. At that point it becomes really difficult to get Can and Firmino both in any starting 11.
Sturridge and Benteke are going to complement each other extremely extremely well

Given the money Liverpool paid for Firmino I think we stick with a 4-3-3 with Benteke, Sturridge and Firmino backed by Hendo,Coutinho,Milner. Can comes in for Coutinho if Liverpool have a lead and Lallana comes in for Gomez with Milner moving to LB if more offense is needed. There is definitely depth this year that wasn't around last season. Ings, Origi, Markovic, Moreno, Ibe will all fight for time and play a large role in cups.

I'm even more wary of the Lovren/Skertl combo after today. They are playing with fire with those two. Love Clyne and Gomez, although Gomez has his rough moments. But Gomez's rough moments are nothing compared to Lovren's. Hendo getting hurt exposed the back two as he was not there to shield them and Can isn't as good.

Given the money Liverpool paid for Firmino I think we stick with a 4-3-3 with Benteke, Sturridge and Firmino backed by Hendo,Coutinho,Milner. Can comes in for Coutinho if Liverpool have a lead and Lallana comes in for Gomez with Milner moving to LB if more offense is needed. There is definitely depth this year that wasn't around last season. Ings, Origi, Markovic, Moreno, Ibe will all fight for time and play a large role in cups.

I'm even more wary of the Lovren/Skertl combo after today. They are playing with fire with those two. Love Clyne and Gomez, although Gomez has his rough moments. But Gomez's rough moments are nothing compared to Lovren's. Hendo getting hurt exposed the back two as he was not there to shield them and Can isn't as good.

Gomez Is an interesting one. Keep in mind his natural position is CB so we could potentially reach a point where he slides over next to Skrtel with Moreno to his left. Lovren plays a different type of cb than most are used to in that he advances out more to break up play. It results in him getting caught out a couple times a game and people losing their marbles but he also breaks up a half dozen would be attacks in doing so. Its almost as if we have a diamond formation at the back at times with Skrtel as a sweeping though not sure if that is by design or not. That said there are some teams (man city) that will dice a standard flat back 4. Too much speed running gaps along with that end line cut back they run masterfully. If Chelsea can't sit back and soak up their pressure the rest of the league better take note. Begovic had a stellar game or City may have dumped 8 on them. Aguero scored 1 but also had 3 great goalward strikes turned aside. Thought it showed a great bit of sportmanship between the 2 when Aguero would congratulate Begovic on the save or reversed Begovic would give him a pat and say nice shot.

Gomez Is an interesting one. Keep in mind his natural position is CB so we could potentially reach a point where he slides over next to Skrtel with Moreno to his left. Lovren plays a different type of cb than most are used to in that he advances out more to break up play. It results in him getting caught out a couple times a game and people losing their marbles but he also breaks up a half dozen would be attacks in doing so. Its almost as if we have a diamond formation at the back at times with Skrtel as a sweeping though not sure if that is by design or not. That said there are some teams (man city) that will dice a standard flat back 4. Too much speed running gaps along with that end line cut back they run masterfully. If Chelsea can't sit back and soak up their pressure the rest of the league better take note. Begovic had a stellar game or City may have dumped 8 on them. Aguero scored 1 but also had 3 great goalward strikes turned aside. Thought it showed a great bit of sportmanship between the 2 when Aguero would congratulate Begovic on the save or reversed Begovic would give him a pat and say nice shot.
Agree on man city... they will be good and sterling gives them a speed component they were missing before. But I also feel that last Sunday was a perfect storm for man city, or at least I hope so.

Interesting take on lovren and the diamond back 4. Now that you mention it lovren did seem to play in front of skertl. Arsenal is next so we will all see whether the back 4 is for real or not. I just hope hendo plays as can showed that he cant control a game yet.

Agree on man city... they will be good and sterling gives them a speed component they were missing before. But I also feel that last Sunday was a perfect storm for man city, or at least I hope so.

Interesting take on lovren and the diamond back 4. Now that you mention it lovren did seem to play in front of skertl. Arsenal is next so we will all see whether the back 4 is for real or not. I just hope hendo plays as can showed that he cant control a game yet.

Still no word on what exactly Hendo's injury is just that its foot and has been an issue since preseason.

Think Lovren is more aggressive in trying to read and get ahead of attacks vs reacting which Skrtel does. I think Sahko is similar to Skrtel which is perhaps why they don't play as well together.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! YESSS!!!! I didn't want him at United
Yeah it is shocking that Chelsea just came in and got him. I thought maybe Man City if not Man United, but I guess Mourhino really wanted another attacking MF.

Gedion Zelahem US International from Arsenal is being loaned to Rangers in Scotland.

Terry and Ivanovic have both been losing pace since the spring. Mourinho is unhinged because he's been asking to get some additions to the squad and unlike last year, they have been trying to squeeze pennies. Four bids for Stones? They should have just bid 30M the first time and got it done. Baba Rahman dragged on after they had already let Felipe Luis return to Atletico. Poorly done this time around compared to last year, like they didn't want to add players and Mourinho knew they needed some fresh blood.

Last edited:
Going off on a tangent but did any of you, who have been following soccer for years, ever think that you could turn on the TV and see the EPL, Bundesliga, La Liga, Ligue 1 and Serie A on US TV?

When I got back to the States in 1979, virtually nobody knew what the World Cup was and virtually nobody could name a single European Club team.

In 1982, only the World Cup final was on regular TV and it was shown with standard commericial breaks.

The World Cup finally came to ESPN in 1990.

European Championships did not come until 2004.

Now, all the major leagues and competitions are on US TV and kids, and adults, are wearing jerseys from all the major European clubs.

I was watching the Little League World Series last night and US baseball kids had Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo as their favorite athletes.

It is a wonderful thing.

Going off on a tangent but did any of you, who have been following soccer for years, ever think that you could turn on the TV and see the EPL, Bundesliga, La Liga, Ligue 1 and Serie A on US TV?

When I got back to the States in 1979, virtually nobody knew what the World Cup was and virtually nobody could name a single European Club team.

In 1982, only the World Cup final was on regular TV and it was shown with standard commericial breaks.

The World Cup finally came to ESPN in 1990.

European Championships did not come until 2004.

Now, all the major leagues and competitions are on US TV and kids, and adults, are wearing jerseys from all the major European clubs.

I was watching the Little League World Series last night and US baseball kids had Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo as their favorite athletes.

It is a wonderful thing.

Been a lot more sustained interest since the past world cup. As the US gets better, more fans take notice. Once they actually stop and watch they realize how interesting the game is (which most of us learned years ago, but did have to learn at some point) and look for the best version of it in non world cup years.

Case in point. I started with my company after the 06 WC and could count on one hand the people that even mentioned club football? Then after 2010 the interest was more but still not huge by non US standards. After this past WC though, more people are asking more questions and following with a more detailed interest. I'm sure many in this thread have experienced the same being OG's as it pertains to fanhood, people look to you with questions because your fanhood is a known commodity.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom